-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or they will give aircraft some sort of anti lazor coating? Perhaps like a mirror?

Last edited by Pete E; 04/16/15.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Nothing even comes close to it in performance. That said, WAY too expensive to risk it on such menial tasks as CAS. I've always liked the cheaper and LOTS approach, especially since we are really the only Superpower left. Chinks can't really build anything we can't squash. What we SHOULD have done back in the 90s, was build the Tomcat 2000, A6-F, F-15Es and LOTS of F-16s and take our time with the super fancy stuff.

Gracias.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Pete E
Or they will give aircraft some sort of anti lazor coating? Perhaps like a mirror?

Okay, magnetic rail projectiles traveling at seven or eight times the speed of sound will do a number on those aircraft protected against lasers.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
De nada... I'm such a cunninglinguist..

Pete: Here's what I think about all that BS Lazer futuristicshit:, from our Light Attack Brethren:

•The mission of the aircraft carrier is to put ordnance on target. Everything else such as Indian Country, unreps, the grid, SSC, and anything else starting with F- is simply support for the attack mission.

•You win the war by killing the enemy by the thousands, not one at a time at twenty thousand feet.

•In peacetime, DCM is something the attack pilot uses to rejoin off the range.
In wartime, DCM is something the attack pilot uses to turn and shoot some [bleep] in the face who's trying to stop the attack pilot before he destroys his high value target.

•There is no such thing as defensive DCM. I become offended when someone jumps me enroute to my target, and much offense is intended when I have to take the time to blow his ass off.

•Concerning the tally of Medal of Honor winners in southeast Asia, the score tells it all: Attack = 5, Fighter = 0.

•In wartime, our POW's were not released because the enemy sent representatives to sit smugly at peace talks. They were not released because domestic antiwar groups unwittingly played into the hands of the enemy, and tied the hands of their countrymen at arms. They were not released because the enemy lost five aircraft to a select few called aces. They were released because brave men took their bombers downtown and spoke personally to their captors in the only language the enemy understands:
Iron bombs raining down on their heads!

•These lessons have been forged in blood and steel by all those attack pilots and bombadiers who have gone before you; back when happiness was flying Spads; back when jets were hard-lighting and mean, and only quiche-eatin' airline pukes flew fans; back when Spads roamed valleys and spit death to those who would try to stop them; in an earlier time when the biggest cadillac in town was called "BUFF" and when men took pride in decorating their leather flight jackets with; "I've Been There" Patches, and the enemy hid every 1 + 45 because he knew the next cycle of the attack carrier was headed his way. Times change, technology changes, but the men in the cockpit must be the same brave warriors every age has counted upon in time of peril.

•Finally, and this is the bottom line! Real men fly attack because they understand the most fundamental law of wartime negotiations; you negotiate with the enemy with your knee in his chest and your knife at his throat.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm not sure I'd give Lockheed Martin a free pass on this.

government contractors make the real money on change orders.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Okay, magnetic rail projectiles traveling at seven or eight times the speed of sound will do a number on those aircraft protected against lasers.

The history of warfare is measure/counter measure. While some of the proposed weapons systems of the future are going be almost Starwars like, I suspect an equally capable counter will be developed..on either side of the issue, costs are likely to be the major stumbling block…

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

The history of warfare is measure/counter measure. While some of the proposed weapons systems of the future are going be almost Starwars like, I suspect an equally capable counter will be developed..on either side of the issue, costs are likely to be the major stumbling block…

Except for when something totally changes things like the machine gun, the tank, or the torpedo carrying airplane and makes the wisdom of a hundred years useless overnight. Sometimes, the only counter is to completely change the way you do things and think about them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Except for when something totally changes things like the machine gun, the tank, or the torpedo carrying airplane and makes the wisdom of a hundred years useless overnight. Sometimes, the only counter is to completely change the way you do things and think about them.

Not saying you are wrong about the potential for future DE weapons, just that I am confident counters will also be found..

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KFWA
I'm not sure I'd give Lockheed Martin a free pass on this.

government contractors make the real money on change orders.

Well, DUH, but WHO makes the changes? THE GOVERNMENT and not necessarily the Services. I was in the A-12 program and THAT was a cluster of the first order. LM just likes to make money, just like we all do.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yeah, but the guys in the government making the changes that guarantee LM more money, are then a year after retirement from working for said government, employed by LM for six figures.

I wonder if the guys who hold a hard line and try to maintain a sense of ethics and responsibility for taxpayer dollars are employed by LM a year after they retire.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, but the guys in the government making the changes that guarantee LM more money, are then a year after retirement from working for said government, employed by LM for six figures.

I wonder if the guys who hold a hard line and try to maintain a sense of ethics and responsibility for taxpayer dollars are employed by LM a year after they retire.

I can tell you the companies that bid low and then plan on change order to make their profits get the contracts more times than anyone wants to admit. I'm sure like you said, they get their man (or men) on the inside, along with a few politicians to grease the skids.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/16/15.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Politicians yes, but it would be rare, and easily determined if a military officer pushed for a particular gizmo as a bribe and the intent to get picked up by said company upon leaving the service. Has it happened? I'm sure, but in the case of the F-35, this was just one cluster from the start and primarily driven by budgetary decisions and not operational ones. For example, the USAF NEVER wanted the B-2 and they go it rammed down their throats.
On the Navy side, the F-18 was just a stopgap replacement for the A-7 and F-4, thinking al the time we were going to get the Tomcat 2000 and A-6F and eventually the A-12. When the 12 blew up, the lines had been severed to the F-14 and A-6 so we were stuck with ONE airframe, the 18 which fundamentally changed Naval Aviation for the worse, much worse.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

BWHAHAHAHA!

People with a sense of responsibility and ethics don't make it that high in the pecking order.

They're all back stabbing, deep throating pussies.

And if somebody is actually worth a fugg, they'll be so far outnumbered they'll never be able to make a difference.

Such is government during extended periods of peace.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prm
I'm not a huge fan of the F-35, but that article has some issues. The fan on the B model does not hurt the performance of the A or C model in any way. So all the overweight, slow, whatever does not apply to the Navy or USAF variants. It's not the fastest plane, but it will be much closer to the enemy than the specs indicate. Carrying weapons internally means it goes as fast loaded as empty. Add rails and missiles to any MiG and will not come anywhere close to what they advertise. And, the MiGs are not world beaters to begin with. The AMRAAMs and 9Xs certainly don't care about the relatively small difference. So it "only" turns as well as an F-16. Ummm, that's pretty damn good! And the 9X tied to the helmet really turns well. The F-35 doesn't have a traditional fixed HUD. It's part of the helmet. Whatever the assumptions were in that simulation are crap. I'd be surprised if 1 F-35 was lost to a Chinese built Sukoi. They're a bunch of GCI cripples and will fold in the fog of war. Let's see how they perform when getting jammed, have no comms, are dealing with deception and their AWACS is flaming debris falling from the sky. That's where US trained fighters shine. And I am certain the F-22 will decimate any enemy and make them think real hard about getting anywhere near US fighters (those few that are left). I may be a Navy guy, but the F-22 f'ing rocks!

The article did seem to casually forget all about the F-22, which will decimate anything in it's path.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
And why should it? two different airplanes/mission. The F-22,at a cost of 200M/copy it's still just a glorified fighter and while it can carry ordnance, way to expensive to lose in a CAS role. Save it for the A-A stuff and just feed more cannon fodder to the front lines.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs
The services will make it work but IMO the F-35 is the new F7U "Gutless" Cutless

That's what it boils down to. Once again our leadership has failed the American fighting man, but the American fighting man always finds a way...mostly because his life, and the lives of his friends are at stake. But also because they're the smartest, best trained, highest motivated soldiers in the world.

I have no doubt that once it's been in the hands of our troops for a decent time, they will make it the pre-eminent air weapon in the world. Because they won't rest until they do.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
At least we never had to test the Gutless is combat. The 35 is surely to get bloodied. AS long as we're not fighting Israelis, Brits or Germans, just about any airplane will work.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Obama still has about 18 months in office, so we might be facing the Israelis in the near future.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thankfully, the 35 isn't anywhere near being IOC... smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Can't turn, can't fight, and can't run".

Just great. Hillary will love it because she hates the military.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 54 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,042
Posts18,500,794
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.