Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Akpilot Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Ok I notice a lot of people saying lower 48 only for shipping. Just for a little education: priority flat rate is the same to all 50 states. So I then went to usps and did some research. A 3 pound box shipped from Texas to Maine is the same price as Texas to Alaska. Ok so how about a big rifle shaped box? I threw in weight and dimensions, again Texas to Maine $54.30. Texas to Alaska $54.30.
Just hoping the people like me in the far north won't miss out on more items because someone doesn't want to ship to Alaska because it's more expensive, and expand sellers region of customers.
Great thanks!

"Not everyone needs four tons of smashing power, but for those that do, there's only one choice."
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Maybe people don't remember Jan 3, 1959 and think your in a different country. Maybe a slick way to extract a few $$$ more. Thanks for the information.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the postal rates are more an east to west deal than a north to south deal.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Not too many buyers from Hawaii, so that's not a valid argument either

Last edited by KenMi; 04/17/15.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I accidentally listed a rifle on Gunbroker a few years back without stipulation for Alaska shipping as extra, cost me around $120 to ship from the east coast.

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
If it fits in a flat rate box, I agree 100%. If using your own packaging however, (maybe it's where I'm located) the few items I've shipped to Alaska have certainly cost more that they would have within CONUS. That being said, not looking to make additional $'s, and have always worked it out individually with the buyer based on any cost differential to Alaska.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RED53
Maybe people don't remember Jan 3, 1959 and think your in a different country. Maybe a slick way to extract a few $$$ more. Thanks for the information.

I turned six years old on that date.

I never got why the hesitation to ship beyond the lower 48 either. When shipping to Alaska I always was able to work out an amicable solution, if stuff didn't fit in a flat rate box.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Shipped a gun to Alaska once and it was damned expensive.

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always more expensive when I have to ship to Alaska from Georgia.

You ain't about that life.
A
Akpilot Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Interesting feedback. For you guys that had expensive shipping to alaska I'm curious if it would have been any cheaper to send it to say Washington state? If any one is bored my zip code is 99515 maybe you could run quotes on the USPS page and see what you come up with.

"Not everyone needs four tons of smashing power, but for those that do, there's only one choice."
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I ship everything I can in the flat rate priority box to wherever in the US and its the same price.

The boxes are free at the post office.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have always shipped to all 57 states for actual cost whatever it comes to, it's up to the buyer to accept the costs or not. The trouble with including shipping in your asking price is you never know where it will be going. Always check the prices for Priority and 1st class, they both travel the same way but at times 1st class is cheaper.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've shipped to AK and received guns while I lived there and it was always more expensive. As I recall the discussion it was that it had to go second day air if it was a firearm so it didn't pass through Canada. Not sure if that is true but that's what I recall being told...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I recall correctly. When I shipped rifles to NH, PENN, GA and elsewhere the cost has been anywhere between $40.00 & 55.00 via USPS, depending on insurance, the only good way to and from AK. FedEx and UPS cost too much. I don't know how that compares to lower 48 cost. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Akpilot
Interesting feedback. For you guys that had expensive shipping to alaska I'm curious if it would have been any cheaper to send it to say Washington state? If any one is bored my zip code is 99515 maybe you could run quotes on the USPS page and see what you come up with.

For example, gun box weighing 10 pounds, 2 day priority from TN to LA is $14.

From TN to your Zip is $45

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Besides, I hate for sale items on the 'Fire as a price plus shipping.

I just give my price which includes shipping/insurance.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Akpilot Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead

For example, gun box weighing 10 pounds, 2 day priority from TN to LA is $14.

From TN to your Zip is $45

That must be the difference. I was looking at 3 day priority, not 2 day

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok I notice a lot of people saying lower 48 only for shipping. Just for a little education: priority flat rate is the same to all 50 states. So I then went to usps and did some research. A 3 pound box shipped from Texas to Maine is the same price as Texas to Alaska. Ok so how about a big rifle shaped box? I threw in weight and dimensions, again Texas to Maine $54.30. Texas to Alaska $54.30.
Just hoping the people like me in the far north won't miss out on more items because someone doesn't want to ship to Alaska because it's more expensive, and expand sellers region of customers.
Great thanks!

Spot on bud, I see this all the time. I've done a lot of buying over the internet and there's been times when I could have something shipped cheaper 2nd day air than I could UPS ground or FedEx. I've also had people want to charge me more after we already agreed on a price, because I am in Alaska.

I also don't understand why some people won't ship here, if the buyer is willing to cover the shipping then why not?

I compared the price of shipping a rifle from Maine to Seattle, then Maine to Alaska and the price was the same, shipped 2 day Priority Mail.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RJL53
I have always shipped to all 57 states for actual cost whatever it comes to, it's up to the buyer to accept the costs or not. The trouble with including shipping in your asking price is you never know where it will be going. Always check the prices for Priority and 1st class, they both travel the same way but at times 1st class is cheaper.

57 States?????

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RED53
Originally Posted by RJL53

57 States?????

According to Obama!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 15,468 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,182
Posts18,543,219
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.