Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have mentioned this before; robotics are replacing human workers. We are already at an all time high for unemployment, and that will only increase.
Again, how are these workers, who will be displaced by AI machines, going to support themselves?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/19/opinion/sunday/the-machines-are-coming.html?_r=0

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Time to give eugenics a serious look.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
i would imagine that is already being done.

ked

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
No one cried for the milkman.
Look...its transitional.
We are trying to get to the point that you won't have to work.
All labor conducted by robotics, all services render automatically by computer.
Keeping people working when automation can replace them and reduce cost to the consumer is counterproductive.
Wasn't the original intentions of the civilization experiment 11k years ago to reduce work and increase recreation time?
I mean isn't that the big picture goal?
All great art, inventions, ideas have originated in recreation and passion...not wage.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let them retire so they can move to FL!

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They have a job for them...

Stand in line, and vote for the democrats we tell you to vote for...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Pay them to not have children so the problem doesn't get worse.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Unfortunately, currently we pay them to HAVE children.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Let them retire so they can move to FL!

Which is a great staging area to post chit about machines taking over human jobs!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Unfortunately jobs for unskilled/low skilled workers are rapidly being take over by computers or shipped offshore. Retraining and gaining a skill where there is a future is the key. Financing should be available for those who take the initiative to research and seek it out. Many highly skilled/educated worker(myself included) lost their jobs when the economy tanked in '09. I searched for work in my field for eighteen months before changing to a closely related job in order to have employment. This required that I take a 30% pay cut but fortunately I was in a position that I was able to do it in order to have a job.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ringworm
No one cried for the milkman.
Look...its transitional.
We are trying to get to the point that you won't have to work.
All labor conducted by robotics, all services render automatically by computer.
Keeping people working when automation can replace them and reduce cost to the consumer is counterproductive.
Wasn't the original intentions of the civilization experiment 11k years ago to reduce work and increase recreation time?
I mean isn't that the big picture goal?
All great art, inventions, ideas have originated in recreation and passion...not wage.

The purpose of civilization is control. Studies of modern hunter gatherer societies have shown that they spend relatively little of their time gathering food and most of their time lounging around.

And no, none of the great inventions would have come about without economic incentive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have mentioned this before; ................ We are already at an all time high for unemployment, and that will only increase.

Saying it doesn't make it true........

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Unfortunately jobs for unskilled/low skilled workers are rapidly being take over by computers or shipped offshore.

Not necessarily true. We've got a few hundred robots on the shop floor doing things that traditionaly were done with human labor. Multiply that by three to get an idea on how many jobs have been eliminated.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
You can't have a Roman styled empire without a permanently un/under employed plebian class to manipulate and use to control their social betters through threats riots and violence.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche."

(Yes, I realize that it is wrongly attributed, but it still seems germane to the discussion.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quite simple. Develop the skills to build, maintain, and program robots.

We're in one of the most depressed corners of Oregon where skilled jobs are extremely hard to come by. Strangely, even kids that can and really want to work have more requests for their time than they're capable of servicing. Those that put in no effort to look for work don't have folks knocking on their doors though.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/22/15.

1Minute
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
There's not even enough high skilled jobs available and the problem is only going to get worse politics be damned! People tend to wind up in those jobs their best suited for, and no amount of education will change that fact, people just aren't born the same.

Forced retirement might be a temporary help, but it wouldn't be a long term answer.

And Free Trade damn sure wasn't it!

Phil

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The same thing that is being done for the 47% that are presently on the government dole. The famous Obama wealth distribution.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/22/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a youngster, I worked in a sawmill for about a year. In my area, that was the most highly sought job around.
Absolutely mind numbing work. Time just did not pass, each shift felt like about a week. I could no more see myself doing that job for 40 years than flying to the moon.
Interestingly, the place was full of people with every intention and desire to make that their career.
It occurred to me that factories and mills everywhere were full of people that would never be bankers or computer programmers, yet were able to earn a decent living doing this work.
There is no place for these people in the 'new" economy. I don't know what is to become of America's once proud work force.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If you have a good work ethic and a skill, you will always find work.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,576
Posts18,492,035
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.