-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Out shooting my Montucky .280 Ackley this morning, very happy with the platform/cartridge combo.

After confirming drops at 450 and 650 meters, according to Applied Ballistics, I am getting 2975 fps with a 168gr Berger Classic.

5 mils to 770m with a 100m zero.

Not bad for an expensive 270.

Last edited by Backroads; 05/11/15.
GB1

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
That's sounding more like it!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice...

Powder?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
The "recoil and blast" of a 7 Rem Mag are mythical dragons in a rifle of reasonable weight.

Amen.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ackleyman
I am a long time fan and user of the 280 A.I. It is without peer as a deer caliber IMHO. If he is interested in becoming a hand-loader, I highly recommend the 280 A.I. I had a...7mm Mag before my 280 A.I. and would never go back.

Same here. Highly agree, especially on the never go back part.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by johnw
If the guy wants a .280 AI then that is what he oughtta get.

First though, if he's your buddy, get him started on handloading.

Survey says: #1 answer!

Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by SNAP

I handload for ALL of these and never need factory ammo, that is for novices and imbeciles who "forget" their ammo; it is largely a gunrag myth.

I am one of those "imbeciles" that has forgotten their ammo in one case and arrived at hunting camp with the wrong ammo in another. Chances are good one of my hunting buddies could loan me a few rounds of the more common stuff.

If I am carrying one of my hand loaded rifles there is no commercial ammo that will shoot accurately in that gun.

I own one rifle that is accurate with commercial ammo & I never carry it afield.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cons...? None I can think of. Pros.....just about everything about that rifle/cartridge combo.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think the 280AI is a pretty good cartridge,sandwiched as it is, between a 280 and a 7 Rem Mag.(Which is a pretty narrow niche itself).

But can anyone tell me what's so magical about it,and what it does (in the same action and barrel length) that a 7 Rem Mag doesn't? confused

Don't get me wrong I understand the "want" part when it comes to rifle cartridges,which is reason enough to get one. But some of the claims here leave me perplexed. crazy

I usually avoid kicking hornet's nests but figured I would make an exception here. My curiosity has the best of me. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
To me, approaching both my 69th birthday, major skeletal-neuro. issues and a love of mountain hunting, usually solo by choice, it is a *no brainer*.

I just spent 4Gs on a Kimber MA, Talley sts. QDs, Swaro Z3-3x9, Redding dies, Nosler brass and whatever. I have scores of fine, light custom *mountain rifles* and ONE aspect of this convinced me to spend scarce bux on another rifle.

This rig, in .280AI, gives me the maximum power in the lightest, STS CRF rifle available and with the 160NP at 3K, MV, kit will whack any quadruped in BC that I wish to whack.

I spent almost as much on a lovely custom HVA, etc. .280 Rem. in 2013, but, it is STILL several ozs heavier than this Kimber.....and with 59 years of packing loads in BCs mountains, every ounce counts to me.

YMMV, JMHO.......

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I think the 280AI is a pretty good cartridge,sandwiched as it is, between a 280 and a 7 Rem Mag.(Which is a pretty narrow niche itself).

But can anyone tell me what's so magical about it,and what it does (in the same action and barrel length) that a 7 Rem Mag doesn't? confused

Don't get me wrong I understand the "want" part when it comes to rifle cartridges,which is reason enough to get one. But some of the claims here leave me perplexed. crazy

I usually avoid kicking hornet's nests but figured I would make an exception here. My curiosity has the best of me. smile

Bob, it feeds, well, worse. Has a single source of brass (I acknowledge the crowd fascinated with fire forming as some kind of I shoot more than everyone else badge) and it's popular on the internet.
There are three strikes if I have ever seen them. :-)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
SNAP: What.... no 4X Conquest? grin

Sounds to me like you bought the Kimber platform as much as the cartridge. wink

I understand...I have a Kimber Montana 7/08 which is a "toy"....feels more like a Loomis bass rod than a rifle,it's so light!

Pathfinder we will discuss. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G

You and I have chatted on this subject before, so please forgive me if I repeat myself. I am an unabashed fan of the 280AI and have been so for nigh on 30 years now, having shot untold numbers of game with it. I love it because is does come close to the 7mm RM without the blast (which you respectfully disagree on and I understand). I get 3200+ fps with my 140 grain Noslers and if that ain't close to 7mm RM velocities I'm a Chinese rocket pilot. I also get significantly longer case life out of my handloads...pretty much 4x vs 10-12x in comparison. I'm on the fence regarding felt recoil....I think the AI is less, but if a person says they can't feel the difference, I don't get twisted about it. I have found it to be very very easy to handload and get little bitty groups with very little work.

But most of all, I just wanted it. And that was enough to justify the purchase. Besides, it is an extremely sexy looking round...looks all business in my eyes!

That being said, if the OP does not handload, then by all means NO....get a 30/06, 270, 7mm RM, etc...the factory loadings of the AI are extremely anemic in my opinion and he would gain nothing over a standard 280.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by beretzs
Just to throw some more info into this. Buddy just built a 280 Ackley on a 24" Model 70. Nosler Custom 140 AB's ran 3040 through his rifle during break in. They were advertised around 3100-3150 I think. Seems like a ton of expense to match a 270 Winchester with a 130..

It's hard to beat the 270 Winchester for the guy that want's to buy some different kinds of ammo to see what works best. A slew of good rifles that almost anybody could find something that "fit" them as well.

I have a 280 AI and a 270! I wish I had 2 270s instead of a 280 AI and a 270!

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easily arranged.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

For me, it was platform. No Kimber Montana in 7mm rem mag.

So I took the closest I could get. Same powder, same bullets.
Pleasantly surprised by the performance. It turns out that my accuracy load for my 7mag was 168Berger Classic hunters at 2975fps.
There was more in the tank, but none more accurate.

I run the same speed now with the Montucky. With 7gr less powder, 2 inches less barrel, and 2 1/2lbs less rifle weight.

I never in a million years thought I would own a .280AI, til they chambered it in the Montana.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
There seems to be two lots of 140 gr Nosler factory loads out there and one is significantly slower.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think a WSM will outperform any 280!

My Kimber 7mm WSM Montana weighs 7 pounds, 1 ounce with it's 4.5-14X Leupold VX3 in steel mounts!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The .280 Rem is one of the best cartridges ever invented, and you don't have to trim the AI very often. If it wasn't for great marketing and the decision by Winchester to provide free .270's to the most prolific writer of the time, the .270 would be extinct.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I think a WSM will outperform any 280!

My Kimber 7mm WSM Montana weighs 7 pounds, 1 ounce with it's 4.5-14X Leupold VX3 in steel mounts!

This should settle it for everyone, get a280 AI!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,473
Posts18,471,466
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.