Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cast10K Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm in the middle of planning a few trips out west, and never had anything that would pass for a decent pair of binos. I don't have a price limit per se... overall value is my main goal and I'm not opposed to buying used. What are some good all-around binos, great value for the $$$, and versatile for a lot of situations?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
on a side note mine came in Via UPS this afternoon, thanks SWFA!

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would suggest you consider:

Swaro SLCs on the high end

Cabela's Euro HD
Meopta Eurostar
Zeiss Conquest HD

One day I hope to have some Swaro ELs, or maybe the EL range. But you get much diminishing value up in that price range.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Figure your highest price, add a couple hundred dollars or more then get those binoculars. I haven't ever heard anyone using good binoculars say "I wish I had a cheaper pair"...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Cast
If I might offer my opinion, one of the most important thing you can do when buying a binocular is to handle it and see if the focus operates to your liking, if the eye cups suit you, if the hinges work to your liking, and if the image quality is to your liking. Buying a binocular because you can count the hairs on a gnat at 627 yards instead of another pair that only lets you count gnat hairs at 624 yards is an errand for the misguided.
I glass for critters nearly every day and a Nikon Monarch 5 does a pretty good job for me. They are heavy enough to hold steady but won't break your neck if you carry them a ways, which I also do. I have another Leupold 8X42 with great glass, and generally like Leupold above Nikon, but the Leupolds in this case are way too heavy.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Doug at Cameraland posted a couple of days ago that he had just received some trade show samples and had them discounted heavily. Among them were German made Minox HG 8x43 BR binoculars. I own these and they are fantastic glass! Build quality is excellent as is the lifetime warranty. At $599(I paid way more for mine) they are a steal and rival anything out there selling for $1000. Being a tradeshow sample they will most likely be indistinquishable from new. Mine were a sample pair also and they did not look like they had even been out of the box.

You said you wanted great value for the $$$ spent(These are a steal at $599!!!!). You won't find a better value out there, IMO.

Good luck,

Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 04/23/15.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

+1 for Minox. I'm pleased with mine.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be lookin at Meopta Meostar or Cabelas Euro

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One that I've been impressed with recently is Trijicon's new HD, the first binoculars they've offered. The optics are really good, but I was just as impressed with the mechanics. As Royce pointed out, minor differences in optics aren't as important as major differences in mechanics.

I've used a lot of binoculars with great optics, but hinges and focus adjustments that went out of whack every time you didn't actually have your hands on them. That definitely isn't true with the Trijicon, the real world price is a little under $700 for the 8x42 and a little over for the 10x42.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John:

The binocular you've just mentioned sounds interesting.
Where are they made, and what others are they similar to ?

They must be a clone as most are.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have no idea where they're made (though doubtless they're Asian) since I couldn't find anything on the box or binocular. They do look cloney, but stood out among those I've tested in the past couple-three years because of the mechanics, though the optics are very good as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Leupold Gold Ring HD's offer a lot of value.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by cast10K
I'm in the middle of planning a few trips out west, and never had anything that would pass for a decent pair of binos. I don't have a price limit per se... overall value is my main goal and I'm not opposed to buying used. What are some good all-around binos, great value for the $$$, and versatile for a lot of situations?

You really need to establish some kind of price range before guys can make informed recommendations otherwise they're kind of throwing darts at a board.

For all around binos I'd recommend something in the 10x42 or 8x42 range. You can go from $2500 on down if you start at the top of the line swarovski, leica, or zeiss and as shrapnel said nobody ever says they wish they had a cheaper pair.

I'll say that I think probably the best value out there is a used pair of swarovski's, either slc's or el's. If you search the classifieds of this site and several others for long enough you'll come upon a good pair at a good price. You have to know what you're looking for though, they've upgraded both lines several times over the years so you need to know what you're negotiating on.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by leftybolt
Doug at Cameraland posted a couple of days ago that he had just received some trade show samples and had them discounted heavily. Among them were German made Minox HG 8x43 BR binoculars. I own these and they are fantastic glass! Build quality is excellent as is the lifetime warranty. At $599(I paid way more for mine) they are a steal and rival anything out there selling for $1000. Being a tradeshow sample they will most likely be indistinquishable from new. Mine were a sample pair also and they did not look like they had even been out of the box.

You said you wanted great value for the $$$ spent(These are a steal at $599!!!!). You won't find a better value out there, IMO.

Good luck,

Leftybolt

+1 I have had my Minox HG 8.5x43 binoculars for over 7 years now. I paid about $550 for mine and have been extremely pleased with the binoculars. Excellent glass...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Dayton,

I whole-heartedly agree and the one Cameraland is offering is the updated(Made in Germany) version with better glass, more eye relief, and wider field of view. Really a steal for $599.

Leftybolt

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Dayton
Originally Posted by leftybolt

Good luck,

Leftybolt

+1 I have had my Minox HG 8.5x43 binoculars for over 7 years now. I paid about $550 for mine and have been extremely pleased with the binoculars. Excellent glass...

+2. I have both the Minox HG 8.5x43 and the HG 10x43, both German made. They are both excellent. I have a hard time seeing the difference in quality between these and the very top of what are called the "Alphas" (Swarovski, Zeiss, Leitz).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, one has to accept, who one is...

I have seen your cars, your woodstocked rifles, all in impeccable order.

So, I know, you will not be able to relate when I say, that I am happy every time to go out hunting with my Leupold 6x30s and leave the high $ ones at home.

In Alaska its the Minox BD 10x40s.

Why? Peace of mind.

Taking expensive stuff into adverse conditions and baby sitting em I find stressfull.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was out looking through my Zeiss Classic 10x40's and they continue to impress!

Watched a pair of red tailed hawks at 100-350 yards setting in the tops of various pine trees while eyeballing a field.

I should have grabbed the Leupy's and compared but was too busy following the birds.

I think used pairs are still available in the $350-$500 range depending on condition.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (06hunter59, 1234, 1936M71, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,528
Posts18,491,150
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.