-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And nobody needs a small-block V-8 engine in any vehicle.
But they still feel good and sound good and are as enjoyable to own as they ever were, when efficiency isn't the top priority.

Long live the 30-06.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
GB1

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good points by all.

One son inherited a 270, the other will need a good rifle as well. Since neither handloading not expect to do so, not likely prairie dogs or bears will be on the menu, nor bison though I know many have fallen to lesser than 06's.

Main game likely for them during theirs lives will be deer, hogs, and occasional elk. Factory ammo is about a given when I'm not around.

Seems John Wooters (or another old time writer in the 70-80s) wrote a good piece long ago on 270 loads and the 100-110s were fast n flat. I loaded some in the past. Recoil not much lower as I had them redlining. Sure made a mess of things hit smile

When I load for the one, it's been 150 PT, BT or 140 AB/BTs.

My experience - 150 BT deadly on WT and PT equally - end to end on a Colorado Mulie at 275 yds. 130s never grouped as tight IME as 150s in the few rifles I worked with, though I did a double on two crows once, 100 Rem PSP bulk bullet - about 300 yds w a former 1B w 6x. Got lucky wink

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I see lots saying the recoil on an 06' is too much... really? Have you ever felt the recoil on any rifle when you have a deer or elk in your sights, and you focus and pull the trigger? probably not...
The only place you'll find recoil being an issue is if you're going paper-punching and shoot a hundred rounds... at that point, take your 22lr with you, instead.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Recoil is always an issue and a little bit less is a little bit better.

You can illustrate this by going with a LOT less.

Take the average guy out with a .223 and a 45-70 and see if he doesn't make much smaller groups with the .223 and much larger groups with the 45-70.

That's just the way it works. Recoil is always the enemy of accuracy.

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Point well taken, DancesWithGuns... I agree with you.
But, I am a big-guy, and don't find an 06 kick objectionable at all, and don't have trouble "staying with the shot" and shooting little groups... I suppose it's all pretty subjective based on the size of the shooter, weight and setup of the rifle, etc. etc. (But I do agree with your point)

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
06 is a perfect elk round. you don't need anything more. Unless you are shooting past 400 yards. but thats just my opinion. It's all about shot placement anyways.
06 is too much gun for deer IMO. I think my 270 is too much gun for deer.
I still use my 06 as main gun and 270 is a back up.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Maybe not TOO much, but certainly more than necessary.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have 4 30-06 rifles not because I love the cartridge but because I wanted the rifles and they were chambered for 30-06. You can tailor your loads for any game on the continent same as a lot of other cartridges. Too much? too little? that's a bs perspective, you can control the power level on that. Some folks have no interest on owning more than 1 CF rifle and go to Whatevermart the day before the season starts and buy whatever is on sale. They usually do ok too. Pointed at the right place most always get the job done. Magnum Man

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's purely a matter of personal preference and sometimes even convenience.

For example, if I needed a rifle and preferred the .270 but got offered a fantastic deal on a high quality '06 of a desirable make and model.......I would take it without a second thought.

I, too......can shoot either about as well, I just see a slight advantage to the .270 overall.

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The -06 has too much recoil? Really?
Sure grandpa's old M54 with a steel buttplate off the bench is uncomfortable but in the right stock with a decent pad if you can't shoot a 30-06 you should stay on the porch.
Bolt throw too long? Again, Really? Learn how to operate your firearm pilgrim.
There are better cartridges TODAY for various applications but given the 30cal of 1906 head start of about 30 years on most other cartridges, the others have a lot of catching up to do.
Don't get me wrong, the 30-06 isn't the be all and end all of cartridges and if the US had adopted the 7x57 the -06 would be about as popular as the 300 Savage but we did and thus many bullets are made for it and it is the parent of a whole variety of other cartridges.
There are very few who have experience with the -06 that don't like it.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I haven't seen one person say the /06 has to much recoil so they don't use it, or seen anybody say anything about bolt throw either.

Have used an /06 quit a bit and agree with many that my 308's recoil less. I have been unable to see a difference between the 2 on animals, so why put up with more recoil?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
30-06 kicks too hard? Jeezus. My wife shoots an '06 with a Decelerator pad on it and don't complain about the recoil.

I had a rotator/bicep tendon repair done in December. Mount a better pad and keep shooting? Heck yes.

Give up my '06? HELL no.

Last edited by SargeMO; 04/24/15.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Have you ever seen someone who "isn't bothered by the recoil" accidentally pull the trigger on an empty chamber?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
I haven't seen one person say the /06 has to much recoil so they don't use it, or seen anybody say anything about bolt throw either.

Have used an /06 quit a bit and agree with many that my 308's recoil less and I have been unable to see a difference in the 2 on animals. So why put up with more recoil?

The last time 'I fired' an '06, it was pointed toward a moose this past January. I don't remember touching the trigger or feeling anything other than a mild 'pop' and then seeing moose legs flailing skyward. I'm thinking the moose either shot himself or the gun did. Recoil might become a factor if a person wanted to punch PDs with 180 grainers all day long, but it certainly doesn't qualify as heavy otherwise. And, depending on the maker of the rifle, there is some access advantage to the "06" length receiver opening when using a rifle in cold weather since some short actions can be more challenging to refill or maintain when temps are low. And moose hunting 'perfection' begins with the 30-06.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Never seen a moose, much less shot one, but from the antelope, deer, elk and oryx I've shot/seen shot with both an /06 and 308 I have seen no difference between the two. I can feel a difference in a day of shooting targets/rocks etc. between the two.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, the '06 has too much recoil. I've used one since 1987 but I've never really enjoyed shooting it off a bench. The .243 is great fun however.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 30-06 Springfield rifle cartridge is the greatest cartridge in all of history.

Like all machines none is ideal for every possible dreamed up thought.

The 06 won the only two world wars and has taken much game very well. cool

[Linked Image]

M
M
WAY Much, and WAY OverPenetration...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keep in mind that for those who feel the 06 might be to heavy for them recoil wise, when it comes to re-barrel time, get yourself a set of 280 Ackley dies and you'll be a (much) happier camper down the road. Felt recoil is less and hopefully you still have plenty of (mis-stamped) brass to shoot till your hearts content. You'll have a new rifle that will do anything with good 160's that the 06 would/could do with 180's and just be missing what the 06 can do with 200's (and that probably subject for some debate as well).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DancesWithGuns
Recoil is always an issue and a little bit less is a little bit better.

You can illustrate this by going with a LOT less.

Take the average guy out with a .223 and a 45-70 and see if he doesn't make much smaller groups with the .223 and much larger groups with the 45-70.

That's just the way it works. Recoil is always the enemy of accuracy.

I will not totally disagree, but my last range session saw me putting up smaller groups with my Mod70 300WM than I was with my Ruger 77 in 223. Both were shooting well under an inch. Of course I burn more than a few rounds each week.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1234, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 53 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,638
Posts18,474,424
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.