Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Look at the picture. It's a 32 mag.

No, it isn't.

Here's the link BBart posted. http://northamericanarms.com/firearms/magnums/mag/m-hg.html

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
nah, I carry one of these
[Linked Image]

You da mane!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Look at the picture. It's a 32 mag.

No, it isn't.

Here's the link BBart posted. http://northamericanarms.com/firearms/magnums/mag/m-hg.html

I guess my eyeballs aren't working well.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had this kind of set up years ago, but Mr. Dunlap made it a concealed carry. frown

http://northamericanarms.com/bbs-m.html

Last edited by luv2safari; 04/26/15.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pocket sized, and a bit more punch than a rimfire.
[Linked Image]

Sean
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We have one for snakes around the house. Nope you don't have to be 3 or 4 feet away, they kill further than that.

Good for what its good for and I'd rather have it for personal defense than nothing...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Originally Posted by safariman

I would spend $250 on A Kel Tec P3AT WAY before I would carry a mini, single action 22 rimfire of any kind.

My experience with Kel Tec is that they are junk. I wouldn't buy one under any circumstance.

Another question that I'd like to throw out... I understand that they have about a 6lb trigger. Has anyone tried to lighten that trigger?

The kel tecs I've seen have been fine. I am at the point to buy a few for us too, I"ll tweak em like I do all semis to slick em up and function test em. I expect zero issues just like the others I've shot.

Know a couple of LEO that use em as backups and have never had an issue either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s been rainy so I went to the range yesterday and today. I reacquainted myself with the Pug. I forgot to bring the snake shot, so all I had was 40 grain Gold Dots. All shots were off hand.

View from the rear of the gun.

[Linked Image]

5 to a 3x5” target at 5 yards yesterday. I threw one to the cardboard above the target area.

[Linked Image]

15 shots at an 8 inch circle at 7 yards yesterday. It looks like I threw one right outside the target area to the right and I really can’t tell about some. There are at least 3 in a jumble and possibly more. The rounds tumble some and that is not a bad thing.

[Linked Image]

5 to a 3x5” target at 5 yards today. I pulled one to the left a little but still a head shot.

[Linked Image]

5 shots at an 8 inch circle at 7 yards today. I threw one to the neck. Oh well.

[Linked Image]

A view of the 3x5 inch target with a shot fired from about a foot. The bullet hole to the left center is from a prior shot.

[Linked Image]

RJM on the handgun forum is a great shot and has posted some amazing groups with his. I realize my shooting was not super awesome, but another couple or three range sessions would tighten things up.

For a person who shoots thumbs forward, the support hand thumb really flirts with the cylinder gap and can get some blast, so I mostly was shooting one handed or two handed but with weird support today.

It’s not for everybody, and I certainly wouldn’t recommend it for a primary unless one is limited to wearing a bathing suit, but it isn’t the worst thing to have in a cupholder when you are stuck behind another car at the red light on the highway off ramp and God tells Squeegee Man that you are Satan or more prosperous than you deserve to be.

I would not lighten the trigger. I view it as a safety feature.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My healing up quickly has allowed me to drop my meds down to pre surgery levels and I am driving my truck, with ease for those who were (Unneccesarily) concerned.

Right now we have a Kel Tec P3AT, PF-9, and a Sub 2000 in 40SW. In the near plans or hopes are to aquire a KSG and another PMR30.

I think that some folks equip or equate lightweight/polymer or maybe able to see the springs through the slide a little as being poorly made. This is simply not the case. But in our experience they run great and have a better trigger than the Kahr CW series of pistols that we have tried and carried a bit. The Kel Tec P3AT and PF-9 both have, IOE, pretty fair triggers for a DAO pistol. What is more, the centerfire pistols universally do not have any insidious external safety which, for a beginners defensive carry gun is a non starter with me. I want Sherri to be able to point and shoot without having to think to release a safety or any other slow down or detriment to getting rounds down range and onto the Perp. Towards that end Sherri's PF-9 also has a crimson trace lazer grip. Grab the gun and it is ON. Da ON-ly way to fly as I see it.

For a good functional lightweight pistol, these things just rock.

Back on topic, I don't know why anyone would choose a tiny single action 22RF when one can drop a 10oz Kel Tec or other similarly sized and lightweight 380 full of Buffalo Bore +P+ ammo in a pocket and carry JUST as easily, but have some real horsepower on hand, comparitavely.

My primary EDC is still my 1911 in 10mm with original spec loads topped with Gold Dot or Golden Sabre 180's plus a CT lazer grip but I am not unarmed with my Kel Tec P3AT tucked away. Far from it.

Last edited by safariman; 04/26/15.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Glad your feeling better, keep up a good fight !!

I bought my NAA .22mag. for snake shot use. Have better guns for personal defense.

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're going to screw around with that Buffalo Bore +P+ ammo and blow the slide off the rails.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I load 380 to 3 levels;
1) Lowest hot load 70% over published extra powder
2) Medium hot load 120% extra
3) Highest hot load 210% extra

The lowest is for the Kel-tec P3AT and the Ruger P380.
They have light slides, weak recoil springs, and thin chamber walls. But the weakest link is the case support. The Kel-Tec has 0.270" of feed ramp intrusion. The Ruger is a negligible amount better. The 380 brass has webs 0.175" thick. This leaves 0.105" of thin unsupported case wall. The most power I can get is with 6.2 gr Power Pistol, 90 gr Gold Dot, 0.980" over all length. There is no margin on the over all length. There is no margin on the powder. It is not 2 gr below a case bulge, it is at the beginning of a tiny case bulge. This chronographs at an average of 1100 fps from the 2.7" barrels.

1100 fps also happens to be what Buffalo Bore claims for the 380 +P 90 gr JHP from a 2.7" barrel.

I don't know how Buffalo Bore does it, but I would not give my P3AT and P380 handloads to anyone else. There is no safety margin at all.

I have never shot anything alive with those loads, but I handed it to a friend and he finished off a buck antelope instantly with a heart shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S7vdJVDSNQ

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Had one of the NAA,s gave it away will stick with my Keltec 380.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeoW
You're going to screw around with that Buffalo Bore +P+ ammo and blow the slide off the rails.

Now that I have function tested it and know it feeds this stuff just fine, we don't run any through it anymore. It is carry ammo only. If we blow the slide rails off in a dangerous encounter, guess how much I care over the damaged $200 pistol......

ClarkM,

Nice video of the antelope hunt. I SO want to do that someday soon!

And your recipe for the 90 grain bullets is probably exactly Buffalo Bores recipe. I will not be reloading any 380 when I can buy the small amount of hot loads that I want and be done with it. It is interesting that Buff Bore can get the same steam up with the 100gr HCFN bullet. I have my P3AT loaded with 4 100gr HCFN loads and three 90gr HP loads. I figure on pounding out all seven rounds if ever danger comes a lookin for me. Hoping and praying it never will, but I must and will protect my wife and other innocents if called upon to do so. I came VERY CLOSE to trying these 380 loads on a loose running Pit Bull (against ordinances and park rules, big time) that rushed our three properly leashed dogs. Just before I popped a cap a horrified owner came around the corner and called her stupid pit back to her. She asked me if thought my reaction was a little bit extreme.... I said no, not at all. I am perfectly within my rights to protect my dogs and my wife here and YOU are breaking the law as well as any sense of reason. If you do not want to see your dog with a bullet hole in his brain, KEEP HIM ON A DAMNED LEASH LIKE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO! Your dog was within one second, maximum, of instant death and he would NOT have been the first one I ever shot and then slept peacefully the following night.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
49 and 1/2 years ago I intervened when a pit bull attacked my baby brother. It ripped me a new one. When I see a pit bull, I get ready for a quick draw.

It bothers me if I blow up an old Colt that was hand fitted and they can't make them any more. But when I blow an overloaded case head off in a Kel-Tec and I have to put in a new extractor, it is a small price to pay to get the data.

If I can get an animal to hold still, I can shoot them in the brain with a 22. But once it is moving, even right in front of me, all I can do it body shots. And a 22 body shot I have never seen stop a raccoon. It does get them to leave in a hurry.

That Kel-Tec P3AT did not fire when I handed it over to the Antelope hunter in the video.
I opened it up and it was stuffed full of pocket lint.
I blew that out of there and handed it back to him.
The 6'2" 270 pound man complained the P3AT kicked too hard.
1100 fps 90 gr from a 10 ounce loaded gun bearing on one square inch of hand, is going to hurt. It is not a fun gun to shoot. It is just the lightest carry. The NAA may be 6 ounces loaded, but that is too far from the knee of the diminishing returns graph.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have a 70s series Colt Gold Cup 1911 National Match that I carry when I feel the need. I also have Colt Detective Special that I also carry along with a few other quality handguns that pretty much keep me out of the Kel-Tec market.
Since I own a ranch that's out in the middle of nowhere,I figgered that little 22 would fit well in my pocket when I'm out and about on the property. I don't think that I'll be sticking it in anyone's ear or running off a mugger with it.
I was just interested in the quality of the pistols that this company puts out. Again... I could give two $hitts about junk like Kel-Tec. Just this little tootoo.... Thanks gang.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
bart, as i was rereading this thread i got to thinking of something. In the for what it's worth category.
Few years ago i took an elk into a country slaughterhouse, that processed all kinds of stuff. Noticed a bunch of cows ready to get offed. Brought another elk in a couple of days late, cattle had been done, but noticed the .22magnum casings laying around they had used to do the cows. Now i am sure they were brain shots under controlled circumstances, but they were used.
I did pull out a little colt single shot .22short derringer yesterday, i think made by uberti for colt. Better than nothing in some circumstances.
Still think i need one of those n.a.a. with the buckle holster.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole..

Those things have about a 20# trigger pull - necessary due to lack of trigger guard... I've had customers ask me to lighten up the trigger.. Not a chance - a light trigger pull coupled with no trigger guard = AD just waiting to happen..

No thanks.. YMMV

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
bart, as i was rereading this thread i got to thinking of something. In the for what it's worth category.
Few years ago i took an elk into a country slaughterhouse, that processed all kinds of stuff. Noticed a bunch of cows ready to get offed. Brought another elk in a couple of days late, cattle had been done, but noticed the .22magnum casings laying around they had used to do the cows. Now i am sure they were brain shots under controlled circumstances, but they were used.
I did pull out a little colt single shot .22short derringer yesterday, i think made by uberti for colt. Better than nothing in some circumstances.
Still think i need one of those n.a.a. with the buckle holster.

Here's one..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/North-Ameri..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e8ed628a

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Clarkm

I don't know how Buffalo Bore does it, but I would not give my P3AT and P380 handloads to anyone else. There is no safety margin at all.

I have never shot anything alive with those loads, but I handed it to a friend and he finished off a buck antelope instantly with a heart shot.

I know it wasn't intended this way, but that sounds kinda like a reverse "watch this, hold my beer" deal. "Hand me your beer and use this pocket rocket. There is no safety margin at all, but I loaded it right."

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 71 invisible), 3,306 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,815
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.