Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
offered today (under 10x) if price is not a factor? Thanks...

Last edited by Gary O; 04/26/15.

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S&B is my choice.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
U.S.Optics certainly deserves mention. I was absolutely impressed with their products... Top notch.

http://www.usoptics.com/optics.html

Custom made for you, right here in the USA.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunting or tactical ?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Price is rarely not a factor.
Regardless of income...price matters.
But the answer is, most men above 35 won't be able to appreciate the optical benefits of a S&B for more than 5 years.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Leupold FX3 6x42 with an M1 turret.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Leupold FX3 6x42 with an M1 turret.

Agreed.

David

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
IMO, it really depends on the ultimate use for the scope. For instance weather you are hunting whitetail at last light from a tree stand or your chasing DG in the bush where the weigtn and balance are more critical. If I was to pick one It would be a Trijicon 3x9.

BigBullet
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness.

https://www.facebook.com/Natal-Outfitters-195443607135825/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
schmidt bender

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Leupold 6x36 or 6x42. I haven't decided which I prefer yet.

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Leica Magnus, but not available yet in USA.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ringworm

But the answer is, most men above 35 won't be able to appreciate the optical benefits of a S&B for more than 5 years.

Where the hell do you get this dipshidt stuff??? I have had a Schmidt and Bender for more than five years and I still appreciate the benefits of it.

For my money, any of the high end Euros in a 1.5-6x42 formula is awful close to as good as it gets for glass. and as perfect as I have seen for Minnesota deer hunting. They can be a little on the heavy side, they are pricey, and if they ever do need service, they might have to go back to Europe. But... they all come with an unlimited transferable warranty, they are bright, they are rugged, they are clear and sharp, they have excellent eye relief and I have yet to see one that didn't track perfectly. I prefer them to the 2.5-10s.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Better hang on this may be a bumpy ride

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
For a hunting scope, take a look at the Trijicon hunting scopes with the illuminated green center. Last August I killed a huge Cape Buffalo at (they said) 10 yards and all I really remember is putting the green center on his chest and the gun went off.

Presidents 100-'97
Distinguished Rifleman-'81
NRA Benefactor
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 31 bertram
Better hang on this may be a bumpy ride

Always is...love reading this stuff. grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/26/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MILES58

Where the hell do you get this dipshidt stuff??? I have had a Schmidt and Bender for more than five years and I still appreciate the benefits of it.

For my money, any of the high end Euros in a 1.5-6x42 formula is awful close to as good as it gets for glass. and as perfect as I have seen for Minnesota deer hunting. They can be a little on the heavy side, they are pricey, and if they ever do need service, they might have to go back to Europe. But... they all come with an unlimited transferable warranty, they are bright, they are rugged, they are clear and sharp, they have excellent eye relief and I have yet to see one that didn't track perfectly. I prefer them to the 2.5-10s.

The vast majority of males over the age of 40 suffer diminished response to light. As we age our eyes ability to pull in light reduces.
Therefore a scope allowing lots of light transmission is wasted.
With aging there is an increase in absorption throughout the visible such that by the sixth decade only 20% of blue light is transmitted to the retina compared to the young primate eye.

In low light, the human eye can typically dilate to 5mm – 7mm. The exact amount of dilation varies with the individual, and typically declines, with increasing age, from 7mm (at age 20) to a dark-adapted pupil of about 5.5mm by age 65. To take full advantage of a scope’s light-gathering capacity, the diameter of an eyepiece exit pupil should be no larger than the max diameter of your eye’s dark-adapted pupil, so that all of the light collected by the scope enters your eye, rather than falling on the iris. A large 8mm exit pupil may seem good, but it would be partly “wasted” on a shooter in his 60s.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trijicon 3x9 40 duplex green dot

Molan Labe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

The vast majority of males over the age of 40 suffer diminished response to light. As we age our eyes ability to pull in light reduces.
With aging there is an increase in absorption throughout the visible such that by the sixth decade only 20% of blue light is transmitted to the retina compared to the young primate eye.

In low light, the human eye can typically dilate to 5mm – 7mm. The exact amount of dilation varies with the individual, and typically declines, with increasing age, from 7mm (at age 20) to a dark-adapted pupil of about 5.5mm by age 65. To take full advantage of a scope’s light-gathering capacity, the diameter of an eyepiece exit pupil should be no larger than the max diameter of your eye’s dark-adapted pupil, so that all of the light collected by the scope enters your eye, rather than falling on the iris. A large 8mm exit pupil may seem good, but it would be partly “wasted” on a shooter in his 60s.

This is the classic example of you not understanding what the hell you read. A brighter scope is a brighter scope. Period end discussion. If your eye doesn't dilate enough to take advantage of a larger exit pupil doesn't make a brighter scope dimmer. That's something that very much follows the pattern of taking in information and getting lost in it to where you lose track of the simple part. A 1.5-6x42 S&B is still going to be brighter than a 1.5-6x42 Bushnell regardless of how old your eyes are. At least until Bushnell starts to put a similar amount of time and money into glass, coatings and construction. Bushnell could forego the quality improvements were this not true and their $150 scope would be every bit as good as the $1500 Zeiss/Swaro/S&B/Meopta but for the unlimited lifetime warranty. Bushnell could simply offer the same warranty and chances are they'd come out well ahead dollar wise just sending out a new scope every year or so and selling their Cheapo for $1500 too. Most people aren't going to put very many rounds through a rifle/scope combo that they'd break the scope quickly and most of those rounds wouldn't be heavy recoilers.

A brighter scope will always be just that when you compare them apples to apples, lens size to lens size. Otherwise everyone who wanted a brighter scope would just have to buy a bigger objective lens and a little more magnification. It doesn't work as simply as you think. My Nikon Monarch gold 2.5-10x50 has less useful brightness bright as any of my 1.5-6x42 Euros at it's brightest, and it's that way for everyone who has looked through both. And, that is irrelevant to how they have the exit pupil set.

If your eyes go dim like your brain, you can compensate to some extent by going to a brighter scope while maintaining all else equal. YOUR brain on the other hand does not seem capable of accepting more input and making sense of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Quite to the contrary. Our eyes never "pull in" light. And, if anything, aging eyes will benefit even more from more light (but it's true, they'll never be as good as they were when they were better.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually there is some truth so what he said but only from a standpoint of how well each age group will see through a high end and a mid grade scope. The younger group will be able to see better than the older group, but it is the difference between the two age groups that will not change. Younger group can see, lets say a 20% difference between the two scopes and so will the older group.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

65 members (7mm_Loco, BlackHunter, blackhawk44, aaronward9, 10gaugemag, big_g270, 6 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,439
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.