Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
What .30 cal bullet do you use in your .300 Win Mag, .308 and 30-06, that does the least amount of meat damage to black bear and deer?

HR IC

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Impact velocity is probably as/or more responsible for meat damage as the bullet construction. Though, I would have to believe that a thin jacketed bullet would do more immediate damage than a controlled expansion round. Bullet placement is also critical, behind the shoulder and thru the lungs is a pretty good place to put the round. Basically, if you want to eat it don't put a bullet there!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
On Deer, A 180 grain bullet, the old Trophy Bonded has done the least meat damage - except when I hit a bone.

They don't usually leave a bunch of bullet fragments in the wound channel. I find a Partition does leave some, otherwise that would be my candidate.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have shot a fair number of deer with Barnes bullets in a lot a lot of different flavors, and they consistently produce less meat damage. I won't begin to guess why they do such a thorough job at the same time on chest contents though. From 53 grain TTSXs to 250 grain T-EZs the results are pretty uniform. The holes all look more or less the same.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Partition!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Heavy for caliber, moderate velocity is all you need.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've had great luck with barnes TTSX's

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]

220 woodliegh

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Based on 4 deer taken with Partitions in .243, .257, .277, and .308, my impression was that there was less meat damage than with C&Cs. All were heart shots, or nearly so and all were within 30 yards, so impact velocity was high.

Generally, to avoid meat damage, don't shoot meat.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After literally hundreds of critters processed, with a large percentage stuff I have shot, the Barnes bullets are so far ahead of everything else there is absolutely no comparison.

The nature of the wounds are different with the Barnes usually producing a wound that bleeds more freely and does less bruising at distances from the hole.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
After literally hundreds of critters processed, with a large percentage stuff I have shot, the Barnes bullets are so far ahead of everything else there is absolutely no comparison.

The nature of the wounds are different with the Barnes usually producing a wound that bleeds more freely and does less bruising at distances from the hole.

This

I made a weak (low) shot on a young bull moose one time as he climbed out of a steep pocket-pond in the tundra. It opened him up in the sternum and would have been lethal but I wasn't sure whether I had hit him or not. As he got up on the tundra and trundled away, all I had was a very thin view of his chest and lots of butt. I hoped I'd slip the bullet into the chest and miss the guts. However, as he moved, his butt became the receiving target and the bullet landed squarely in the pelvis. That big bone was chunked into pieces the size of charcoal briquets and might just as well have been smashed after the meat was chilled and hung for a few days. Typically the bone pieces are easy to remove because there's bloody meat around them. These had none of that. Meat loss was insignificant. That was a 225 XFB from a 358 Winchester, but the results have been very similar whether the cartridge was a 7mm-08, 30-06, 340 Weatherby, or other rifle. The worst cases I have seen with monos involved zero/poor expansion and longer bleed times.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by handwerk
I've had great luck with barnes TTSX's

Me too.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I generally load for around 2750 MV in whatever caliber for deer and it gives enough penetration without damaging meat. Haven't used anything but TSX and TTSX for the last 25 years.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
220 Hornady 220 partition

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Fotis
220 Hornady 220 partition

Yep,
Big, slow, heavily constructed bullets if you want to eat right up to the bullet hole.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

This

I made a weak (low) shot on a young bull moose one time as he climbed out of a steep pocket-pond in the tundra. It opened him up in the sternum and would have been lethal but I wasn't sure whether I had hit him or not. As he got up on the tundra and trundled away, all I had was a very thin view of his chest and lots of butt. I hoped I'd slip the bullet into the chest and miss the guts. However, as he moved, his butt became the receiving target and the bullet landed squarely in the pelvis. That big bone was chunked into pieces the size of charcoal briquets and might just as well have been smashed after the meat was chilled and hung for a few days. Typically the bone pieces are easy to remove because there's bloody meat around them. These had none of that. Meat loss was insignificant. That was a 225 XFB from a 358 Winchester, but the results have been very similar whether the cartridge was a 7mm-08, 30-06, 340 Weatherby, or other rifle. The worst cases I have seen with monos involved zero/poor expansion and longer bleed times.

Yup and the difference is so obvious I have to wonder about the experience level of those not seeing it.

I strongly suspect the folks dropping their critters off at the processor are the ones calling for bullets other than monos...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Partitions. I probably don't have the overall experience of others, but I've used them on deer in 300 Win Mag, 25-06, and 358 Win. Wound channels are consistent and in all but one case, I had a good exit wound as well. In all cases the deer went down in less than 30 yards and never required a second shot.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
165gr Hornady bt and fb have worked good for me in the 30-06 bullet always exits and does not wreck a lot of meat on deer, any 150gr bullet out of A short barrel 308 has killed kindly for me.Never killed A animal with A 300mag, but if I did it would be a 200gr something.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've shot a few deer with 180 Hornadys for a 308 Carbine. All died with minimum meat loss. As others mention, slow and heavy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Biggs300
Partitions. I probably don't have the overall experience of others, but I've used them on deer in 300 Win Mag, 25-06, and 358 Win. Wound channels are consistent and in all but one case, I had a good exit wound as well. In all cases the deer went down in less than 30 yards and never required a second shot.

And that relates to the question of meat damage how?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

404 members (257 mag, 163bc, 2500HD, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 37 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,451
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.