Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mart
Haven't seen an eight pounder of H110 in Alaska in 3+ years.

Order... but shipping kills you... last time I ordered same it was about 6 months to arrival, not a big deal.

Wish there was a way I could bring some on the plane every fall... I could make friends quickly. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Looking forward to your report on Remington .22s. I used to buy a lot of it.

Also looking forward to your report of H-110 in a Winchester 64. No, wait, this is MD, not Shrapnel! ;-)

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
And it not only works in pistols but the .22 Hornet! Have even touched off a few specialized shotshells loaded with H110.

However, must mention that it WAS the last jog of 110 on their shelves.

H110 isn't bad in 20 gauge TSS loads either!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Remington 22LR ammo to me is very dirty, have some still around Sub sonic and the golden bullet HV stuff. Neither my High Standard Citation nor my S&W 617 like it much. It is fairly accurate and few if any misfires, just dirty. The 617 starts to get sticky extraction after the second cylinder full. Haven't seen H110 for quite awhile now, and I'm almost empty. Rl-19 is a pipe dream..

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
When I was a young man I walked the fields all summer long hunting woodchucks,my go to bullet was the remington 36 grain hollow point golden bullet.Now the woodchucks are as scarce as the ammo!

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I really have to wonder in all these "shortages" that some local dealers in various areas, have managed to have stuff on hand, limited of course, but available quite often and if not, generally had it within a month or so, assuming it was being made and sold( IE Big Game).

The sucky part for most of us, now folks understand the theory of buying a years worht or a lifes worth and lots more will be buying that way which will make the timeline to "catch" up even longer.

I never did really get the idea that anyone would buy less than a barrels life worth of powder once a load was settled on anyway... some folks learn the hard way about lot to lot variation and or shortages that appear from time to time.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Coyotes?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
And it not only works in pistols but the .22 Hornet! Have even touched off a few specialized shotshells loaded with H110.

However, must mention that it WAS the last jog of 110 on their shelves.

At 11-12 grains per Hornet, I'd say you're good to go for a bit.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Pappy,coyotes are a big part of it,in my opinion,but,though nobody ever proved as much,I think that some sort of illness may have had something to do with the woodchucks falling numbers.They are making a slow recovery but now there is so much posted land that hunting them is tough.As a youngster I put thousands of rounds of rimfire through my model 81DL Marlin as I hunted them almost daily during the summer.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeff,

Part of it may be as simple as some retailers paying their bills quickly, while others aren't as quick. I do know that our printer is very helpful when we need another 500 of one of our books, because they know the money will be on the way as soon as we receive the bill.

No doubt it works the same way in other businesses. When I started out as a freelance writer, magazines that didn't pay promptly didn't get any more of my articles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
H110 powder one of the best for 300 AAC Blk

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have loaded my .44 mag. for a long time using h110/w296 and never seen the need to try anything else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't hunted chucks in years, but used to chase them in PA from time to time. I'm thinking of giving it a go this summer as I can get a 7-day small game license for about $30. There's a public area I used to hunt that's perfect, with rolling hills and lots of cultivated fields. I'll be using a Hornet stoked with....you guessed it, H110.

The coyotes are really coming on here. Last week, I heard them howling as I lay in bed, and this place is really an extended suburb of D.C. Rabbits have largely disappeared, except in neighborhoods like mine with lots of cover and enough big dogs in the yards to discourage the 'yotes. Chucks seem to be pretty common still, but a hobbyist sheep farmer about 1 1/2 miles away gave it up due to coyote losses.

Last edited by Pappy348; 04/30/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Cabela`s in Green Bay has had 22LR in stock every time I have been in there for the last 6 weeks.They limit you to one brick a day.It might be a 500 rounder one day and a 333 rounder the next day.Plenty bullets and powder around ,but new brass is scarce.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I haven't hunted chucks in years, but used to chase them in PA from time to time. I'm thinking of giving it a go this summer as I can get a 7-day small game license for about $30. There's a public area I used to hunt that's perfect, with rolling hills and lots of cultivated fields. I'll be using a Hornet stoked with....you guessed it, H110.

The coyotes are really coming on here. Last week, I heard them howling as I lay in bed, and this place is really an extended suburb of D.C. Rabbits have largely disappeared, except in neighborhoods like mine with lots of cover and enough big dogs in the yards to discourage the 'yotes. Chucks seem to be pretty common still, but a hobbyist sheep farmer about 1 1/2 miles away gave it up due to coyote losses.

In central and southern Ontario, the woodchuck numbers plummeted after coyotes expanded their range and their own numbers increased. As a youngster and into my 20s, you could spend the day thinning the woodchuck numbers. My first rifle for that was a 22 as well.

You rarely see any these days. I am quite sure there must be pockets of them around, but since the late 1970s, their numbers have dropped dramatically.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Glad to hear you and Eileen had a good visit. I knew you would with Darrick in charge. We enjoyed the conversations and appreciate the time time that each of you shared with us.

Happy Trails

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Steve,

I am sure the coyotes have had some impact but I think at least around here the mowing and subdividing of property is a bigger impact. Road kill would be next on my list. The amount of idle land continues to diminish.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's the going rate on a 500 round brick of .22LR? Talking about standard plinking ammo, not Match...

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Steve,

I am sure the coyotes have had some impact but I think at least around here the mowing and subdividing of property is a bigger impact. Road kill would be next on my list. The amount of idle land continues to diminish.

I can't speak for Kentucky, but the areas of which I speak are all rural. The farms haven't changed or been subdivided.

We had oats and barley. The groundhogs lived in and around that. smile We used to spend almost every Saturday in the spring and fall in the fields after them. Now, it's hard to find their holes. frown

Nothing remains the same I guess.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
And thus stands explained, the popularity of predator hunting.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (10Glocks, Akhutr, 35, 300_savage, 14idaho, 8 invisible), 960 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,411
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.