Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was just wondering if there where any Anglicans/Episcopalians on the fire?

If so tell me about yourself?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was raised as an Anglican but ultimately became mostly agnostic. I believe in live and let live. Do not try to convince anyone what they should think, I feel they should decide this for them selves.

Jim

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Cradle Episcopalian. Even considered becoming a priest.

Last edited by BlackHunter; 05/03/15.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I was raised Episcopalian. My dad used to say it was the next best thing to atheism. I found the people to be educated, fairly liberal, and idealistic. A lot of religions have long lists of things you shouldn't do and try to control you but I didn't find that in the Episcopal church.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Are:
conservative Anglicans called right Anglicans?
Anglicans that are obnoxious called obtuse Anglicans?
Anglicans who are out of touch with the trends of the times called square Anglicans?
Is:
an atractive young Anglican girl called acute Anglican?
a shrewd Anglican businessman called a sharp Anglican?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This may be more than you want to know, but here goes:

When I was very young, I was shepherded to a Southern Baptist church by a devout grandmother and a neighbor. My parents didn't attend a church, although both regarded themselves as protestant Christians. I was baptized at the age of ten. When I was about twelve, my parents started attending an Episcopal church, and both were confirmed. By that time, there were four of us kids (all boys) and I suspect that they were feeling like we needed to be exposed to some form of religion. We had moved recently, and so I no longer attended my "old" Baptist church.

When I was thirteen, my dad suggested that I go with them one Sunday. I did, and I was very impressed with the Priest at the little Episcopal church. I started going fairly regularly and was confirmed when I was about 15. I met my first wife at church and we were married there. We raised our daughters as Episcopalians, but neither attends an Episcopal church now. My older daughter's husband was raised as a Roman Catholic and they ultimately decided to attend a Lutheran church and still do so. My younger daughter and her kids attend an independent Baptist church of some persuasion.

I continued to belong to Episcopal churches most of my life, through the divorce from my first wife and during my second marriage. My current wife was raised as a Southern Baptist and belongs to a small, independent Baptist church in a village about 30 miles from our home. I go with her occasionally, but not often.

When I first moved down to the bottom of the Boot Heel, it was over 100 miles one-way to either of the two nearest Episcopal churches, neither of which is even in the county in which I live. For a while, I would go once a month or so, but as time passed, I went less frequently. I finally just quit going. I guess that I just didn't want to be one of those Episcopalians that only went to church on Easter and Christmas. We are now living about 25 miles closer to both of those churches, but I haven't felt the urge to try to start going again,

I still consider myself an Episcopalian and I often do attend church when I am traveling, if I find myself near one, come Sunday. I follow the news and keep up with the changes that have rocked the church here in America. If I live long enough to move to a community that has an Anglican church which still uses something approximating the traditional service, I will undoubtedly become a regular again.

Last edited by mudhen; 05/03/15.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I won't attend any church that doesn't follow the Bible. When the Episcopal church decided to throw out the Bible and ordain homosexuals, it was plain that I'd never darken the door of one.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was not aware that they had thrown out the bible. You just can't help but learn something new on the Campfire, every day! grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudhen
I was not aware that they had thrown out the bible. You just can't help but learn something new on the Campfire, every day!

Yep. Not adhering to each and every thing in the Bible = 'throwing out the whole Bible.'

Wonder if those strict adherents are still stoning alduterers and executing persistently disobedient children...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When they installed Gene Robinson as a bishop, they effectively told God that his word means nothing. The Bible is clear on how to handle sexual immorality in the church. They didn't deal with it as the Bible instructs. They promoted the guy to a position of importance, honoring his sin.

1 Cor 5:1 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that does not occur even among pagans: A man has his father’s wife.
2 And you are proud! Shouldn’t you rather have been filled with grief and have put out of your fellowship the man who did this?
3 Even though I am not physically present, I am with you in spirit. And I have already passed judgment on the one who did this, just as if I were present.
4 When you are assembled in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present,
5 hand this man over to Satan, so that the sinful nature may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord.

― George Orwell

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I won't attend any church that doesn't follow the Bible. When the Episcopal church decided to throw out the Bible and ordain homosexuals, it was plain that I'd never darken the door of one.

You're obviously not an Episcopalian.

So why even comment on this thread?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having been to Patmos and seen the cave of the apocalypse, I can tell you that revelations was probably written by a man who was high on mushrooms and pissed at the Roman Empire for being exiled. Not to be taken literally.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

You're obviously not an Episcopalian.

So why even comment on this thread?

Are you?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't Roman Catholics say that Episcopalians are just Catholics who are going to Hell?? wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are many solid Christians in the Episcopal Church in spite of it's problems.

― George Orwell

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If I live long enough to move to a community that has an Anglican church which still uses something approximating the traditional service, I will undoubtedly become a regular again.(mudhen)

Same here, not the least of my reasons being that modern services are too touchy-feely, like 1970s encounter groups. I go to church to worship, not to be hugged by folks who don't GAS about me, or having my wife get hugged by the same.

Nearest Anglican church is some 300 miles from where we live, and we don't plan on moving again.

Paul

Last edited by Paul39; 05/03/15.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
All I know is that Episcopalians are lousy chess players. They can't tell the difference between a Bishop and a Queen!

Why did the Anglican cross the road?

To get to the middle.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was a Roman Catholic that was never confirmed. Became an Episcopalian when I married as a "split the difference" with my protestant wife. We were very happy in the church until the new priest gave a sermon on how one should disregard scripture if one disagrees with it (like if one were a homosexual).

I'm an Orthodox Christian now...that church hasn't changed in over 2000 years and never will.

Dan

Last edited by Dantheman; 05/03/15.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Episcopal Church, 6 Commandments and 4 recommendations...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I was raised a Catholic, confirmed, alter boy etc

Left the church years ago due to the priest molestations cover ups ( basically run by a homo sexual mafia) and the way they treated nuns in the church.

Have attended Episcoplian services on and off the past few years and my opinion is basically "Catholic lite". The only differences are they treat women better and homosexuals can serve openly in the clergy. I have no major concerns with this unless politics agendas are pushed during service. Seemed to be quite a few progressives in this group.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

186 members (5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 300_savage, 32 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,975
Posts18,499,477
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.