Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ben Carson, a retired neurosurgeon who has never held elective office, said on Sunday that he would seek the 2016 Republican nomination for president, joining the party’s fast-growing field.

Mr. Carson, who appeared on the political scene just two years ago and gained attention among conservatives for a speech highly critical of President Obama, planned a formal announcement of his candidacy on Monday in his native Detroit. He began his rise from poverty there to the heights of medicine — a path that shaped his rejection of liberal social policies in favor of self-reliance.

On Sunday evening, Mr. Carson said in an interview with a Cincinnati television station that he was entering the race. “I’m announcing my candidacy for president of the United States,” he told WKRC-TV.

Despite a crowded Republican field likely to be among the strongest and broadest in decades, Mr. Carson, 63, believes there is a clamor for an insurgent candidate without ties to party politics.

Mr. Carson also may struggle to claim the outsider mantle. Carly Fiorina, the former Hewlett-Packer chief executive, also planned to formally enter the Republican race on Monday, making an online announcement in contrast to the staged kickoffs of Mr. Carson and the other declared candidates.

Nor will he have the spotlight for long: On Tuesday, former Gov. Mike Huckabee of Arkansas plans to announce his second presidential campaign in his native Hope, Ark.

One challenge for Mr. Carson is whether he can appeal beyond the grass-roots conservatives who initially flocked to him, delighted by his eye-gouging of the president. It is a rhetorical style he has pledged to eliminate as he seeks broader support.

But Mr. Carson may attract early attention because of the national focus on the death of a black man who was injured in police custody in Baltimore, where Mr. Carson lived and worked for 35 years.

He draws an aggressive contrast with Democrats over antipoverty issues, and in speeches has told of how his mother, a cleaning woman, struggled to stay off welfare because everyone she knew who took government aid never escaped it.

In an interview before his announcement, he said that “personal responsibility, hard work and compassion for our fellow human beings” were the keys of climbing out of poverty. Mr. Obama, by contrast, he said, “seems to believe more in a utopian view of cradle-to-grave care.”

Read the entire article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/04/u...on=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Best candidate I've sent so far, hopefully others see the same. Its time we send someone who is not a lawyer by trade.I never trusted lawyers.

Roughly half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HankMcMauser
Best candidate I've sent so far, hopefully others see the same. Its time we send someone who is not a lawyer by trade.I never trusted lawyers.

Yep

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He will be catching a lot of sihte, there is no fury like democrats seeing black run for GOP.

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
He's not as strong on the 2nd as he should be. I think it is a foreign concept to him, albeit one which he may accept as necessary for winning.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can't wait to watch him debate Cruz. I figure they'll just stand there and agree with each other.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Both men will need strong debates to break out of the pack. Sooner or later somebody has to break the twenty percent ceiling.
Cruz can do that. Not so sure about Carson.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I can't wait to watch him debate Cruz. I figure they'll just stand there and agree with each other.

laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He is a good man, maybe not the best, but could be a heck of a Veep.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ltppowell

grin

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not much in the way of news. His people have been calling me for 2 years talking him up and begging money. I was nice to them at first, no money, but nice. Then it got old and so I got rude and they finally quit calling. Slow learners they are, and will not get my vote on the first round but if he is there in November, he will. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tis part of the problem with the GOP it seems, too many run and it often gets winnowed down to the same old, tired, establishment politicians that get the nomination

and I'm not sure it really matters any longer who runs under a conservative platform

the left has done a great job in the puzzification of America, no more shame associated with EBT cards and lots of folks using them

sure conservative values make our hearts sing around here, but we represent what America was, not what America is today.

I was convinced of that the last election cycle, the experiment of dumbing down and enslaving enough Americans through gov't is pretty well complete and successful.

LBJ may have been crooked, but he was smart

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Add a little spice to the mix, a little color. I'll give him a listen but I'll not go apeshit over him at this point.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
ol doc Ben sells a good line. too little and too late, but at least the idea is still afloat in the water.

we're not going to bring the pain of paying of the national debt upon our selves. jeezzus, to see our neighbors buy new Volvos while we starve. hardly.

we're past saving the past. it's on to the future, guys.

do you own any Federal Bonds??

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Cruz should make him Surgeon General, IF he will get right regarding guns. He is very poor on that issue.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by oulufinn
Cruz should make him Surgeon General, IF he will get right regarding guns. He is very poor on that issue.

true. he would make a good'un, overall.

he does recognize the malaise in which the country now exists.

but, it's over. it's like the South fighting for independence. it was a great idea at the time. but, later not so much.

i'ts like the Imperial Japanese fighting for the Sun God.

somebody owns the debt, and it is expected to be paid. so, are you an owner or a payer??

taxes, now there is a subject we could talk about nearly all day.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
He's not as strong on the 2nd as he should be. I think it is a foreign concept to him, albeit one which he may accept as necessary for winning.

Watch his speech to the NRA on Youtube. Very, very good.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was a awesome speech and right to the point I thought..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
its clutter at this point

too many candidates just dilutes the voting power and creates apathy for the base.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
He is a good man, maybe not the best, but could be a heck of a Veep.

Or head of the Dept of HEW. Or as Surgeon General.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (16gage, 160user, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10ring1, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,915 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,491
Posts18,490,394
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.