Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9846926 05/04/15
H
Hutch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
At what speed does it take to penetrate it? Just curious if the cop in Garland made head shots or if he was shooting a higher speed pistol.I'm thinkin I have read that a 10mm and a 357 sig will penetrate it.Anybody know?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are a lot of variables. Body armor is mostly rated for common handgun rounds one would expect to encounter in a street confrontation.

It depends on the NIJ rating of the armor, bullet weight, velocity, bullet profile, distance (which is really a function of velocity). They all play a part in what level they will or will not penetrate.

Basically though once you reach rifle velocities, the only thing going to stop a round is a plate.

One of the things we've been teaching in recent years is picking and hitting a different target in the event one does not get a desired result after delivering a pair COM. It may mean the bad guy(s)are wearing armor.

Keep in mind:

Computer
Life support
Mobility

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
And sometimes even a plate won't stop it.

A fact not discussed much is that a broadhead from almost any bow will go right through most vests, so it's not all about velocity.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dunno about today's tech, but in SE Asia we wore composite plate that would stop multiple .30 cal AP point blank if the impacts were dispersed on the plate.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So the jihad dirt bags were wearing body armor?

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There are plates that will do that, Dan, but most LEO's don't have access to them.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

Yes, but cops are trained to go blam, blam, blam, blam, blam center mass and the tap, tap to the head. Looks like they did a GREAT job.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A 17gr Vmax from a .17 HMR will go through IIIA armor

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
12 ga slug won't but you will still be dead or wish you were

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
And sometimes even a plate won't stop it.

A fact not discussed much is that a broadhead from almost any bow will go right through most vests, so it's not all about velocity.

Ed

True. Broadheads and bodkin style heads punched through metal armor.

I didn't want to put out too much information, as I also know of at least three handgun calibers no one thinks of that will will whistle through soft armor.

Since you brought it up, we did some experiments with our old panels some years back, and I quickly discovered that it didn't take much effort from a tanto blade to punch through. It'll protect you from slashes and glancing blows, but not a focused straight on stab.

I don't have any experience with stab resistant armor, but it's my understanding that ballistic and stab resistant are woven differently. One weave dissipates energy outwards and they other ties up the points of sharp objects.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by stevelyn
...I don't have any experience with stab resistant armor, but it's my understanding that ballistic and stab resistant are woven differently. One weave dissipates energy outwards and they other ties up the points of sharp objects.

They are also made of different materials. Same basic chemistry, slightly different process turns out fabric(s) with different capabilities.

I've had two vests replaced by the manufacturer after being compromised in fights on duty.

Ed

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
APDD,
Get a good one, man. Heck, my old ass 9130 Mosin will defeat a thick plate with authority.
Joke with my friends is to tell the azzholes to please stand 4 deep..

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

Yes, but cops are trained to go blam, blam, blam, blam, blam center mass and the tap, tap to the head. Looks like they did a GREAT job.

Have heard it summed up as:

"Two to the chest, one to the head, makes an a**hole dead."

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It takes a respectable ceramic plate to defeat the 7.62 x 54R!

The first one was ruined by being repeatedly stabbed with broken bottle(s) in a bar fight and the second one was compromised when I was struck in the back with a baseball bat during another bar fight. I was hit so hard it actually deformed the layers of fabric. Knocked me on my face, too. grin

A buddy of mine was saved by his vest when he wrecked during a pursuit and struck a large tree. The steering column was the old fashioned solid type (pre-air bags, too!) and he broke the steering wheel with his chest. Only the impact plate and the Level IIIA vest kept the steering column from going through his chest.

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ANYBODY who lets their armor do their thinking for them is bound for trouble and likely a bad end.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Hutch
At what speed does it take to penetrate it? Just curious if the cop in Garland made head shots or if he was shooting a higher speed pistol.I'm thinkin I have read that a 10mm and a 357 sig will penetrate it.Anybody know?

Info out now indicates that he was using either a Glock 22 or a Glock 21.

Neither would normally penetrate good body armor, but it's the news media that's been saying they were wearing body armor.

Who knows what they were wearing? Maybe just tactical vests to carry ammo mags. Would the media know the difference?

Did the cop shoot them in the head?

Seems highly unlikely.

Last edited by DancesWithGuns; 05/04/15.

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Now they're saying that SWAT also fired at the perps.

I thought the "single cop" defeating AKs and body armor with a pistol sounded a little far-fetched.

Last edited by DancesWithGuns; 05/04/15.

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
H
Hutch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks guys.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I suspect the 45 kept them distracted while SWAT launched some 5.56 or 7.62 their way.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is the making of another Glock Advertising Video. Hope you are listening Gunny

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 470Evans, 300_savage, 35, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,856 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,486
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.