Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#9850868 05/05/15
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone taken a chance on the newer Remlins since they allegedly fixed the problems?

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yes, I have recently bought a new Marlin model 336 in .35 Rem and also a new model 1895 45-70 and both have excellent fit and finish, Both rifles shoot MOA....I did a little research on the Transition of the Marlin factory from New Haven to the Remington factory in Ilion and from what I gather when The Freedom Group purchased Marlin and Remington began manufacturing the Marlin line the Marlin machinery was in very poor condition and many of the key Marlin employees did not make the move to Ilion so the quality of the first Remlin rifles was very poor until Remington spent a pile of money and invested in some of the latest and geatest CNC machinery for the Marlin line, according to a Marlin rep this took place in late 2011 and earrly 2012.....the rifles produced since have the tightest tolerences ever for Marlin and are some of the best Marlin rifles ever produced..............Good luck ....Hb

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
It is great to hear that the issues are being resolved. How are you doing at finding ammunition for the .35 Remington?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The ammo is out there. It's on allocation, but obtainable. The Hornady stuff is much more prevalent than the Remington.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I knew they'd be good guns once the transitions took place.
All I need is the proper research for the production numbers and I'll be planning a purchase for a new lever-action Marlin.

"Did I mention, I REALLY LIKE GUNS?"
IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have had little trouble finding the Hornady Lever Evolution ammo at My local gun shops but have had no luck finding any other brands of .35 Remington ammo, most places say that ammo makers make seasonal runs of .35 Remington and it should start showing up at thier distributors by late Summer............Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by MIKE HUNT
All I need is the proper research for the production numbers and I'll be planning a purchase for a new lever-action Marlin.
Good idea, I called Marlin with serial numbers of rifles I was considering to make damn sure they were made as recently as possible, they were happy to help, a girl named Suzie was especially helpful...........Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MIKE HUNT

Just be careful when you run them, I hear Remlin has decided it was cheaper to 'solder' the loop on the lever to simplify production. grin

(Just kidding, of course. )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Yes, I have recently bought a new Marlin model 336 in .35 Rem and also a new model 1895 45-70 and both have excellent fit and finish, Both rifles shoot MOA....I did a little research on the Transition of the Marlin factory from New Haven to the Remington factory in Ilion and from what I gather when The Freedom Group purchased Marlin and Remington began manufacturing the Marlin line the Marlin machinery was in very poor condition and many of the key Marlin employees did not make the move to Ilion so the quality of the first Remlin rifles was very poor until Remington spent a pile of money and invested in some of the latest and geatest CNC machinery for the Marlin line, according to a Marlin rep this took place in late 2011 and earrly 2012.....the rifles produced since have the tightest tolerences ever for Marlin and are some of the best Marlin rifles ever produced..............Good luck ....Hb

Sounds like you got a couple of good ones. Glad to hear that. However, the new Marlins I have seen on the racks locally still leave a lot to be desired. I have seen nothing that comes close to the fit and finish of real Marlin rifles made in their heyday. I will not be buying anything other than real Marlins until I see more improvement that I have seen to this point.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I handled a 1895 a few months ago. Like vahillbilly said the fit and finish was good,smooth action,decent wood,i'd buy one.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I agree. I've had an itch for a .44 lever. Found several produced last year...handled them several times. Overall fit/finish and machine work still not there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Has anyone taken a chance on the newer Remlins since they allegedly fixed the problems?

I picked up a 336W in 30-30 just 2 weeks ago. It has a late SN and seemed like a deal compared to the new asking price. The rifle has not even a scratch and looks like it was never shot. Lacking 30-30 dies, I picked up 3 boxes of different factory ammo. I threw an old weaver V3 on it in Warne mounts. It shoots 170 grain Federal Blue box into an inch at 100. May just stick with factory loads.

With the price I gave, I decided I could afford a WWG Trigger Happy kit. That is my biggest complaint; the trigger is pretty bad. I'm used to a nice BA trigger. The Trigger Happy kit arrived yesterday, but I have not installed it.

So far, I'm happy. Will carry it this Fall in some thickets back home.

Last edited by 1Deernut; 05/07/15.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm glad to hear that Marlin is getting back on track. I have had and shot a few of the earlier Marlins since the 1960's and been very pleased. The newer ones I've seen leave me cold.

I might consider a new 336 in 30/30 if they would make it with good walnut,(not necessarily fancy grained) without the checkering and add a straight grip stock. They don't need to put a saddle ring on it either. It would be a great match for an old 336 with a straight stock in 35 Rem I have.

Harry
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/1894Centerfire/1894.asp

the major issue I have is the 1:38 twist rate,in the 44mag and 45 colt carbines, the ideal twist rate is close to 1:20
yes you can get the bullets to shoot accurately out at 100 yards most of the time but stability is very marginal past 150 yards, yeah I know who shoots a 44 mag past 100 yards? well I have lots of times and accuracy DOES degrade, that 1:38 twist is ok for a 240-250 grain but marginal on the 280-310 grain weight cast bullets
the rifles would be better if they had a 1:20 twist rate

NOTICE the 450 marlins are built with the correct twist for caliber so anything from 300grain-420 grain stays stabile
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/xlr/1895MXLR.asp

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought a newer, post-New Haven, Marlin XS7 in 243 on 04/22/15 and as far as I can tell it has the same quality and attributes as the New Haven built rifles.

I understand that the Marlin lever actions are being made in Ilion, NY, and the bolt and semi-auto are being made in Mayfield, KY. Is that correct?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a pre safety Marlin 1894 in 44mg that has had the barrel replaced with an octagon barrel, with a faster twist, and a half magazine. I think it is a 1 in 20 twist now. The previous owner showed me the factory barrel prior to him having it replaced and it had a bore that resembled a polished wash board. I have no idea how it ever got past the eagle eye of old JM. cool It wouldn't shoot anything good. The one that is on it now seems to shoot everything, including heavy cast, bullets very well. This is the only Marlin I've ever owned that has had a problem and it has definitely been improved with the new barrel.

Harry
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I looked at a new 336 the other day, the wood to metal fit left a lot to desirer, there was day light showing around the pistol grip and the forearm was way to large. I am not sure how long it was sitting on the rack, so maybe it is A early change of hands gun? I hope they are improving, because they where great guns the four I have that where made in the 70s shoot great and always work. Peace....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went to the large local gun store today and looked over several new Marlin 336 and 1895 rifles. I will admit that the actions seemed slicker than some of the gritty monstrosities of a few years ago. However, the wood to metal fit was still awful and the forends looked like the barrels were sitting on top of a 2x4. Sharp edges everywhere, terrible finish and checkering and poor fit. I suppose I would accept one as a gift, but would not give $.10 for one.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

219 members (16penny, 14idaho, 308xray, 2ndwind, 35WhelenNut, 33 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,613
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.