-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Saturday morning my buddy Josh and I will slip my little 14 ft. Lund into Lake Waconia and celebrate the great ritual of the Minnesota walleye opener. Absent once again will be my best friend, biggest hero, and mentor, my father. Dad left us over 30 years ago now, and every time an "opener" comes up-be it deer season, fishing, or whatever, it's always hard, and it always hurts.

Dad would have liked my little boat. He wasn't big on bells and whistles, just a solid dependable tool designed to get a job done. He liked his old Mitchell 300's and for baitcasters, it would have been his beloved Pflueger Supremes or Ambassadeur 5000's. I can't believe he's been gone so long.

Saturday morning, I'll take a slug of some strong black coffee in Dad's honor. The old Evinrude will cough, gasp, and come to life as we slip out into the mist and fog to go get some walleyes. I have no doubt that dad will be watching us. I'm sure he always does, and I just hope I've made the old man proud. Sure do wish he was running the motor in stead of me.

Good luck to all the guys headed out Saturday for the Minnesota fishing opener. Keep those life jackets on, as the water's chilly yet, and I don't want any of our guys having to do a post like this next year.

Best wishes,

GG

Last edited by gophergunner; 05/05/15.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A fine tribute. Good luck on Saturday, and hopefully Dad will be minding net some while y'all boat a limit and enjoy the day.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I lost my father in '96 to a drunk driver while we were returning from a moose scouting trip. I was 16. I feel for you GG, and I often feel the exact same way. My son turns 12 this year and will be coming hunting with me for the first time. Suspect that will make the mixture of emotions even stronger than in the past.

Enjoy the solitude with your thoughts and memories.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Enjoy your trip, GG. I still have my Dad, but he's hundreds of miles away and married to a woman who changed him a bit from the man he was in my childhood.

I hope your Pops is looking down on you as you start out on the opener and maybe even nudges the tiller in the right direction a time or 2.

Make sure to take a camera and post up some pics.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Friday is the opener for our halibut season. My dad's been gone for over 10 years. I think of him every day. Especialy those opening days of fishing and hunting seasons. Good luck on your opener.

Brant

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the kind comments guys.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,930
Posts18,498,641
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.