Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
shocked You learn something new every day. Had no idea that self-serve filling stations were illegal in two states!

SALEM, Ore. – Oregon is one of only two states where drivers aren’t allowed to pump their own gas, but lawmakers appear ready to allow people cruising through rural areas to serve themselves.

That would leave New Jersey as the last holdout with statewide restrictions. Oregon’s not ready to completely jettison its 64-year-old ban, but concerns that travelers could get stranded in places with few gas stations open in the middle of the night may bring self-service pumps to vast expanses of the state.

Parts of Oregon are so remote that people unfamiliar with the landscape don’t realize hundreds of miles separate gas stations, said Rep. Cliff Bentz, sponsor of a bill that would let gas stations offer self-service fuel when there isn’t an owner, operator or employee around.

Rural businesses in the middle of nowhere can’t afford to keep someone manning the pumps 24 hours a day, said Bentz, a Republican from Ontario, a city near the Idaho border.

“You go around eastern Oregon counties, you find more and more situations where there isn’t any fuel. And it’s not unlike the situation electric-car owners find themselves in now,” Bentz said.

Bentz’s bill sailed through the House on a bipartisan 60-0 vote. It’s now awaiting a committee hearing in the Senate.

The measure is limited to counties where there are fewer than 40,000 residents. That accounts for half of Oregon’s counties and almost all of eastern Oregon.

Oregonians have rebuffed every attempt to overturn the ban on self-service gas since it was instituted, including a ballot measure they rejected in 1982 that would have legalized self-service pumps. The opposition has been so strong that legislators haven’t introduced a measure to overturn the ban since 2003.

New Jersey has stuck with its restrictions, too. In 2011, Gov. Chris Christie said he wouldn’t support legislation for self-service gasoline because most residents don’t want it, despite proposing self-serve gas while campaigning for governor in 2009.

Oregon’s ban lists 17 motives. Among them, self-service “discriminates against customers who are elderly or have disabilities who are unable to serve themselves,” and it could create a “dangerous situation” for unattended children.

“In Oregon, the first reason that the law gives to ban self-service gas in effect is, ‘You will set yourself on fire,'” said Steve Buckstein, co-founder of the Cascade Policy Institute, a libertarian think tank.

These days, the arguments against self-service are mainly that full-service stations create jobs and make life more convenient by letting drivers stay in their vehicles.

Bentz said owners and operators of rural gas stations asked him to introduce HB 3011 this year.

If it’s a frosty winter night and the needle on the fuel gauge is nudging empty, drivers in rural Oregon may grow desperate when, after driving hours in search of a filling station, they find it empty and closed.

“Numerous times, I’ve been woken in the middle of the night by the sheriff’s dispatch because we have folks who follow their phones and aren’t very smart and don’t fill up till their gas lights are on,” said Tom Downs, who owns a gas station in southeastern Oregon.

“Out of the goodness of our hearts, we get up in the middle of the night and fuel them so they can get on their way,” he said.

Last edited by mudhen; 05/08/15.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Giving away our birthright. Next thing you know they'll be fining us for going slow in the left-hand lane...

http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/index.ssf/2015/04/oregon_left_lane_hogs_banned_b.html

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't think they should be allowed to pump their own gas either.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's beyond time that the Oregonad Lawmakes do this. It's a major inconvenience to both Oregonians and travelers through the State.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My memory must be going because I thought I had filled up in the middle of nowhere Oregon before after closing.

But I do hate the full-serve OR law. Takes for fricken ever to fuel up, especially at a busy gas station.

Montana MOFO
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
It's beyond time that the Oregonad Lawmakes do this. It's a major inconvenience to both Oregonians and travelers through the State.

Those Oregon lawmakers better think twice about letting people pump their own gas...! Just look at ALL of the problems the other 48 states have as a result of letting people pump their own gas...!

<rollin' eyes emoticon>
<WTF emoticon>
<sarcasm emoticon>

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CT was at one time too IIRC. I remember getting out to help myself going through there and Oregon on trips and the attendants about freaked out.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey...change that back to ...gonad! wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Hey...change that back to ...gonad! wink

laffin'

fixed it...!

Thought it was a typo...my bad. Your accuracy was right on...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've flown into Portland a handful of times in recent years to drive across the river to Vancouver for some work. When returning the rental car I always fill up on the Washington side of the river. Sorry Oregon, you just lost out on my tax money.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Generally more expensive across the river in the 'Couve, FWIW.

Carpe' Scrotum
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, pay more in WA for the chance to do it yourself.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We get through OR quite often, sometimes with our diesel pickup. I don't mind the full service but I do hate the new signs for diesel prices. OR now has PUC cards for truckers. They don't pay the tax at the pump but rather are billed for it separately. So, they put the no-tax prices up on the signs. In addition, they'll often have different cash and credit prices. So, what you see will often be a price for a trucker with a PUC card and paying cash. It's hard to know exactly what price you're paying.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You gotta love that the politicians in Oregon determined the people that elected them are too fugging stupid to pump gasoline.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
“In Oregon, the first reason that the law gives to ban self-service gas in effect is, ‘You will set yourself on fire,'” said Steve Buckstein, co-founder of the Cascade Policy Institute, a libertarian think tank.
I bet I have 5x more experience of pumping gas than 75% of the kids hired to do it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
You gotta love that the politicians in Oregon determined the people that elected them are too fugging stupid to pump gasoline.

Dave

Naw, just worried Montanans might get out of the car and wander off...

Carpe' Scrotum
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
laugh laugh laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by Steve

It was principle smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love to jump out and grab the pump handle in Oregon. It still cracks me up.

Lot of strange folk in Oregon. The PNW for that matter.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I love to jump out and grab the pump handle in Oregon. It still cracks me up.

Lot of strange folk in Oregon. The PNW for that matter.

It is anything but boring! grin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (12344mag, 219DW, 222Sako, 204guy, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,297
Posts18,487,051
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.