Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
Thinking about getting a cruiser in the 750-950cc range to putt around town. I'm pretty much done with big bikes. If I want to ride something bigger, I've got plenty of friends who have one they're not riding sitting in the garage.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you want something to putt around on get a suzuki burgman. Killer milage and you don't even have to change gears. I'll sale you one.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
I never thought about a scooter. My BIL rode a Silverwing for years. Now he's got one of the new Honda automatic motorcycles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been bitten, too, but I'd like either a dual purpose type or a small sport bike like the Honda CB500X. Jim in Idaho posted some pics and commentary here after buying his and had good things to say about it.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You may well find that the smaller bike is addicting, and not just for "around town."

Took my 650 on a nearly 3,000 mile tour of 7 western states in 10 days. It's not a cruiser, but a Suzuki V-Strom.

5+ gallons of fuel, and not all that hard to get 55+ mpg. That's a lot of range... Comfortable, and plenty powerful for one-up, even with a tent, stove, sleeping bag and some clothes for a week.

[Linked Image]

Handles dirt roads just fine...
[Linked Image]

Around town? It's a hoot. grin Not bad up in the hills either... But it's not a cruiser. I really, truly dislike that cruiser sitting position. Much prefer the good old "standard" sitting position.

Take a hard look at your choices. There are some great mid-sized bikes avail.

Regards, Guy

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GuyM
You may well find that the smaller bike is addicting, and not just for "around town."

Took my 650 on a nearly 3,000 mile tour of 7 western states in 10 days. It's not a cruiser, but a Suzuki V-Strom.

5+ gallons of fuel, and not all that hard to get 55+ mpg. That's a lot of range... Comfortable, and plenty powerful for one-up, even with a tent, stove, sleeping bag and some clothes for a week.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Around town? It's a hoot. grin Not bad up in the hills either... But it's not a cruiser. I really, truly dislike that cruiser sitting position. Much prefer the good old "standard" sitting position.

Regards, Guy

Man, I could really like something like that. My biggest worry about a bike with suspension like that is my 30" inseam and gravity at stops.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yeah, I'm 6' tall, and it's pretty much perfect for me. But my 5-07 wife has to work to get up on the danged thing. I think a lowering kit is avail.

U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
I've actually been looking hard at something other than a cruiser. But that's all I've ever owned. I may go do some test riding tomorrow. I'm 42 now and have pretty much changed my whole lifestyle the last few months. Job, diet, exercise. Hell, why not change the kind of motorcycles I ride. I've always mostly rode by myself anyway.

Last edited by username; 05/08/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by username
I never thought about a scooter. My BIL rode a Silverwing for years. Now he's got one of the new Honda automatic motorcycles.

Dude me either! But I can put 5 large pizzas and a 2 liter under the seat, or a pair of waiders some tackle and a travel rod! I can go fish trout in north carolina on 5 dollars worth of gas lol. I also have a honda xr650r for when I want to do 4th gear power wheelies, which is often. grin. I'm gonna sale it cause, 1 people will try their best to kill you every chance they get and, 2 I want a bigger boat but don't want any debt.

I have had sport, dirt, dual sport and scooters if it has 2 wheels I love it. I would stomp a puppy for a new triumph street triple. You should check'em out its in the size range your looking at. Its very comfy. Its a 675 and is a naked version of their daytona sport bike but it sits totally different and is remapped for good tork thoughout the rpm range. I love them.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm 59, and riding "sporty" is still fun. grin

When my two-cylinder V-Strom 650 seemed a tad sedate, my oldest son loaned me his Yamaha FZ8, 800 cc four-cylinder. It wasn't sedate...

[Linked Image]

A little "compact" for me I thought, and I wouldn't want it on a long ride. But dang it was FUN!

Not a top-tier sportsbike, but lots of good mid-range power and handled well enough to be really fun. That grin of mine is not at all forced. It was a hoot to ride.

Guy

IC B3

U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
I'm 59, and riding "sporty" is still fun. grin

When my two-cylinder V-Strom 650 seemed a tad sedate, my oldest son loaned me his Yamaha FZ8, 800 cc four-cylinder. It wasn't sedate...

[Linked Image]

A little "compact" for me I thought, and I wouldn't want it on a long ride. But dang it was FUN!

Not a top-tier sportsbike, but lots of good mid-range power and handled well enough to be really fun. That grin of mine is not at all forced. It was a hoot to ride.

Guy

Nice

35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
This is a bulletproof little bike.
Can be had with low mileage with a little searching.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2011/09/07/honda-919-best-used-bikes/

The Nine T is pretty cool!!

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/10/17/2014-bmw-r-ninet-first-look-review-photos/

I know this is double the cc`s your looking for, but it`s a big bike that thinks it`s a mid size or sport bike.
My favorite bike of all time.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2010/08/20/yamaha-road-star-warrior-best-used-bikes/

Last edited by 35; 05/08/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once you own a shaft drive bike you will never go back to a chain. Here is a neat little Moto Guzzi V7 that would fill the bill nicely.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My vintage 1979 dual sport XL185 is a hoot!

[Linked Image]

...and my 1979 XR185 close ratio 6-speed NHRA race bike.

[Linked Image]

..my '97 Dyna Low Rider cruiser:

[Linked Image]

...and lastly, 1982 CT110 for deer camp or quick trips to Walgreens:

[Linked Image]

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
OrangeOkie, my brother has been trying to get me to buy a Moto Guzzi for years.

The funny thing is that everytime I walk into a Honda dealership, I have to go mess with one of those Groms. Those little bikes are cool.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've owned three of them and would buy another.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Regards, Guy

The V Strom has a awesome track record, if I were to buy a bike today it would be the 650 V Strom (wee strom). I really like them.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
What's really cool to me, is that there is this very (dare I say it?) diverse group of mid-size motorcycles available.

Sport bikes, dual sports, cruisers...

There's an awful wide choice, and some great bikes, in that 500 - 1000 cc category.

U
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
What's really cool to me, is that there is this very (dare I say it?) diverse group of mid-size motorcycles available.

Sport bikes, dual sports, cruisers...

There's an awful wide choice, and some great bikes, in that 500 - 1000 cc category.

Yep. Years ago, I got caught up in the big cruiser thing. First a Victory, then a Fat Boy. But now, I just want to ride. I figure I'll get much more use out of a mid sized bike than I ever did out of a big one. I'm going to be looking hard at dual sport bikes tomorrow. I may have to try out one of those Honda CB500X. I'm liking the price and the reviews.

Last edited by username; 05/08/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ride a Goldwing, but those dual sports are attractive. I would like one of each.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (160user, 1234, 1badf350, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 72 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,831
Posts18,496,650
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.