Print Thread
Hop To
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Our fire department is volunteer, IE not much funding for extra stuff.

We used to have a link where we could go to a website, and look back on a map on certain time and day to see if any strikes were in a given area.

Can't get back to that link anymore.

Google hasn't show me much other than a lot of real time strikes which doesn't help our reports on house fires.

We've found pay monthly sights, but I did note the not much funds situation.

I will keep googling and searching but figured I would toss this out, in case anyone knows of a free sight that we could use in case I simply can't find one.

Have 4 house fire issues in the last 2 weeks or so that we would like the data for...

Thanks, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rost495
Our fire department is volunteer, IE not much funding for extra stuff.

We used to have a link where we could go to a website, and look back on a map on certain time and day to see if any strikes were in a given area.

Can't get back to that link anymore.

Google hasn't show me much other than a lot of real time strikes which doesn't help our reports on house fires.

We've found pay monthly sights, but I did note the not much funds situation.

I will keep googling and searching but figured I would toss this out, in case anyone knows of a free sight that we could use in case I simply can't find one.

Have 4 house fire issues in the last 2 weeks or so that we would like the data for...

Thanks, Jeff

Suspect Jewish lighting?

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not at all. Suspect real. Just state fire marshall office said no such in our area that night.

Well I was woke up by the stuff, and one was VERY close to my house, the fire house was within a mile of mine...

Trying to show there were strikes that night close by...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime OR

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/stormevents/

Maybe one of these can help. I searched for "lightning strikes history map"

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Jeff:

You may want to call our local wildfire protection agency - the Douglas Forest Protective Association (DFPA) http://dfpa.net/
They probably have a much larger budget than a rural fire department, but they also cover a lot of area and fight huge fires. Since they are only focused on forest fires (they don't fight structure fires) they track lightning strikes. They also have very a sophisticated camera system spread throughout our large county that can see and report smoke - either day or night. Lightning is the cause of a great percentage of our local wildfires. We work closely with DFPA since we can see a large area from our house and since we built a pond so they can use a bambi bucket to dip water out of.

Last edited by logger; 05/08/15.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just curious.

Houses were in open country?

In my area of MS timber takes most of the strikes

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks for the info guys! Will check into this.

Dave, yes fairly open country, but trees around. One had a tall TV antennae on a 4 inch sq steel tube post.... jumped to the house.

Another was as tall as the trees basically

A 3rd was mostly open, IE no trees within 100 feet or so.

You never know when these storms blow through. We've had 5-6 oil well tank fires since July 4 2014.... those can be rough too...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Use an AM radio, listen for static.

You're welcome

Next

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
Thanks for the info guys! Will check into this.

Dave, yes fairly open country, but trees around. One had a tall TV antennae on a 4 inch sq steel tube post.... jumped to the house.

Another was as tall as the trees basically

A 3rd was mostly open, IE no trees within 100 feet or so.

You never know when these storms blow through. We've had 5-6 oil well tank fires since July 4 2014.... those can be rough too...

Lotta foam?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If you have an Iphone, there are apps.

I have the Weather Channel app and it gives vocal lightning strike notifications based on gps location. It has been put to use the last few days around here.

I know there are several of the weather apps that provide this. I also have one out of Oklahoma City called 4WarnMe. It does lightning as well as many other weather related features.

good luck.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,197 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,009
Posts18,500,140
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.