Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I'm not sure if this should be here or in one of the reloading forums, but I figured here since all the model 99 types will be in here.

I've been hand loading for a few years now, entirely for the 300, and I've had some decent results and some pretty poor. I know every rifle is different, but I wanted to share the load I'm currently using in case anyone finds it useful.

150 grain SST over 40 grains of IMR 4064, Winchester large rifle primers or CCI, both seem good.

This is the most accurate round I've found for my rifle. I don't have a chrony and am not terribly concerned with the velocity. If it shoots straight and hits the target, I'm happy. Yesterday I had a brief steady period out at the gravel pit and put 7 rounds inside 1 moa, which got me pretty happy (using a chair and the hood of the car as a bench).

The least accurate rounds I've had are some round nosed 150 grain Speers over 39 grains of H335. The sst's have also been much more accurate/consistentt (for me) than partitions or cup and cores. I'm definitely an sst fan now.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"150 grain SST over 40 grains of IMR 4064"

Is that a compressed load? I couldn't stuff a bullet down to max. OAL of 2.600 with a 150 grain Barnes bullet.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
150gr Speer Grand Slam and 44gr of Reloder 15, Rem cases and CCI 200 primers for mine. Tried 3 different loaded lengths to find one that fits in the magazine and shot into just under an inch for 3 shots. Would be great if 5 or 7 shots also went into that inch but I haven't tried yet. These go 2638fps, so they match factory Federal 150gr loadings at 2655fps.

On the lighter side, 125gr Sierra Pro Hunter also shot 3x into just under .9" with 40gr of Reloder 7. These are just under 3k at 2962fps, and I'll try Speer TNT varmint bullets to see how they do.

SST's are usually identified as cup and core bullets, but with a plastic tip. Seem to perform well, and I'd be happy to use your loading on deer here in Nebraska.

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.300+Savage.html

Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by olgrouser
"150 grain SST over 40 grains of IMR 4064"

Is that a compressed load? I couldn't stuff a bullet down to max. OAL of 2.600 with a 150 grain Barnes bullet.

If there's any compression it's very limited. With 4064 and it's long grain it's a good idea to tap the case a bit to settle the powder down. I've even had 4064 block up the powder measure and a funnel, so it can definitely benefit from a bit of a jiggle to settle it down. I'm getting very little flattening of primers with this so I don't think I'm getting close to max pressure.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by kgb41
150gr Speer Grand Slam and 44gr of Reloder 15, Rem cases and CCI 200 primers for mine. Tried 3 different loaded lengths to find one that fits in the magazine and shot into just under an inch for 3 shots. Would be great if 5 or 7 shots also went into that inch but I haven't tried yet. These go 2638fps, so they match factory Federal 150gr loadings at 2655fps.

On the lighter side, 125gr Sierra Pro Hunter also shot 3x into just under .9" with 40gr of Reloder 7. These are just under 3k at 2962fps, and I'll try Speer TNT varmint bullets to see how they do.

SST's are usually identified as cup and core bullets, but with a plastic tip. Seem to perform well, and I'd be happy to use your loading on deer here in Nebraska.

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.300+Savage.html

Thanks for that link, there's some great info there including specifics on the sst.

I haven't seen any RL15 in this neck of the woods. I buy what little there is available in terms of powder as long as I have some loading data that looks useful and considered myself lucky to get 4064.

I'm just managing 2.600 OAL, but the bullets are seated so the cannelure is just barely covered. The hint from the link to remove the plastic tip might be a good idea, although I wonder if it might widen the grouping a bit. There's a 300 Savage specific SST available, and I hope I can find it in stock somewhere soon. Cabelas has the grand slam in stock at least online, so I might give them a go.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have loaded for a handful of .300's, past and present, in which I felt 40gr. 4064 and a 150 gr. jacketed bullet to be right up there getting close to max. In fact, in my BIL's gun my 40 grain loads gives him sticky bolt lift and primers flattened like one of Mom's flapjacks. (I know, I know, flattened primers are a poor indicator of pressure, and vice-versa) As I think I stated before, that thresh hold would appear to be contrary to a lot of other folks' experience. Could be the luck of the draw for me. I found accuracy to be better a couple grains shy of that level anyway.

I'll just stick with running 180 grain cast bullets at 1600fps in my M1920. I don't hunt with it, and as long as the bullets stay aloft until they hit the paper target is all I care about.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Mike, even with shortages there's a potential variety of at least suitable powders for the .300Sav from every manufacturer. I always bought rifle powders in 1lb containers until settling on RL15 for my .250AI so figured why not use it in the .300 as well. That site is somewhat unique, I believe, in that they've used those bullets on a range of animals to get results. Check out the video at the bottom of their .308 page, a slightly heavier SST at over 800 yards.

I bought a bunch of Sierra 39gr .204 Blitzking factory seconds and a good number of them are seconds due to the plastic noses being inserted backwards. I called to find this out, and the ballistician said they'd shoot fine up to 200 yards. For those from which I can remove the plastic entirely, along with those that came without any tips, these are supposed to make quite accurate and destructive hollow points. I've only shot some of the intact bullets so far but will get around to seeing if the HP's retain point of impact and accuracy.

Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
4064 has been consistently reliable forever. Trialed TAC under 150gr SierraGK & Hornady Interlock with great results, such that it is now my "go to".
Both bullets have proven effective on whitetails. Project for this year is to see how the Partition does.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Both bullets have proven effective on whitetails. Project for this year is to see how the Partition does.

I can already tell you what will happen but don't want to spoil it for you.

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
300jimmy, I dunno, I keep reading where they just scoot right on through....

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (30incher, 7887mm08, 35, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 426crown, 13 invisible), 16,853 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,214
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.