Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yeah, the good ole days of shooting some annoying citizen for no good reason and getting away with it are in jeopardy. Ah, those good ole days!

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't see it either. I know lots of cops that have discouraged their kids from it now. 30+ years ago as I was trying to get hired as a fireman a long time cop told me I was going in the right direction. He said being a cop was being everone's a-hole. That was sad to hear that long ago and it seems to be worse now.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Yeah, the good ole days of shooting some annoying citizen for no good reason and getting away with it are in jeopardy. Ah, those good ole days!

I hope that is sarcasm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In today's society, the roles are reversed. The good guys are now the bad guys and the bad guys are the good guys. The longer the rap sheet, the "more gooder" the guy is. Makes me want to puke and it is only going to get worse.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
This might be the goal: turn decent people from LEO, so zero can foist his own select group of Brownshirt nazi's. A lot can happen in nearly 2 years, and I don't believe anything he does is accidental.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Three years ago a close friend of mine and his son were sitting around the woodstove at the cabin. After serving in the Army and doing two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan he recently graduated from the Wisconsin State Patrol Academy and was assigned to an area mid-state. I asked the young Trooper why he chose law enforcement. He said: "I wanted to go to the sound of gunfire".

God bless 'em.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are 2 jobs that I've always sworn that they don' have enough money to get me to do. the first is LEO. the second is a school teacher. The reason is that they're both no-win situations. Especially nowadays. You can get in trouble, sued, or go to jail for just trying to do your job.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'67 my dad quit the State Patrol.

"Why ya quittin, pop? "
"Don't like the direction it's going."

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by pira114
Well, there is a sense of duty and service to your community. But I realize I'm in the wrong place for that kind of talk

and it's wrong to say that. Most of the 'fire supports you guys, and realizes what a chit job it can be. Heck, many of our members ARE in LE.
That questionable actions presented in the news get, well, questioned, is not a reflection of how I, or most of us feel about the vast majority of folks who serve with clear conscience and valor.

Fair enough.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by T LEE
bea175, because somebody needs to do it and we need all the honorable Peace Officers we can get.

To bust some noggins? smile

Ok, ok, im just kidding, Lee, but you gotta admit, somebody needs tO do it. wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
"Why Would Anyone Want to Work in Law Enforcement Today?"

My two youngest brothers that have both retired from the local Sheriff's dept. and the state Highway Patrol utter those exact same words.

They'd do their job to the best of their God given ability and then be attacked by admin after words.

Truly a thankless job.

God Bless all of 'em...

Proud NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Out for a few years but would never do it again. 1980 was tolerable - now its deplorable.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've got seven years to go to retire with thirty years of service... I don't know that I'll make it. The public animosity toward peace officers in today's society just flat drains you. I try very hard to be one of the good guys, a credit to my profession and a service to my community, I'm often told I am. Yet, I get blindly lumped into the same fold as some idiot that does a dumbass stunt somewhere halfway across the country. Really wears you out after awhile. Combine that with an ever increasing workload of horror perpetrated against our most innocent and defenseless (I primarily work child abuse and neglect cases) and I'm quickly getting sick of it all. Being the greeter at Walmart or flipping burgers would pay about as much, get as much respect and leave me able to sleep at night without the bad dreams. Well... maybe not the greeter job at Walmart.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bea175
Why would anyone won't a job that will land you in jail if you perform the duties it calls for. when you know you will probably will be the one who ends up in jail if you arrest a criminal and he gets bruised or has a MI in the process of the arrest? The US Government today will back and stand behind the perp especially if he is Black and will prosecute you to the max for doing the job you where hired to do.

Good points, but not everyplace is detroit or baltimore. there are PLENTY of cushy suburban gigs that, if you can get on the force, are a virtual lock for economic stability & a very nice lifestyle in terms of pay, early retirement, time off etc.

http://patch.com/new-jersey/wyckoff/township-sets-police-salaries-benefits

LIke most things discussed in relations to LEO, it REALLY depends on where you are.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm hoping more people become LE's that don't WANT to be one, but choose to be one.

The only one's that have ever worried me, in many professions, are the ones with a hardon for WHATEVER that job is.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roundoak
Three years ago a close friend of mine and his son were sitting around the woodstove at the cabin. After serving in the Army and doing two tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan he recently graduated from the Wisconsin State Patrol Academy and was assigned to an area mid-state. I asked the young Trooper why he chose law enforcement. He said: "I wanted to go to the sound of gunfire".

God bless 'em.

I get it. I know what he meant. But that's a mentality I try to train out of my trainees.

This job isn't combat. It's a service job that CAN become combat, but shouldn't be approached that way. You have to be able to switch that mind set on and off at will.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll throat punch my kids if they try to become cops. And then give them a bad recommendation.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by pira114
Well, there is a sense of duty and service to your community. But I realize I'm in the wrong place for that kind of talk

Not everyone here would call it wrong.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I would not recommend the career to anyone starting out.

This. A job in LE alot like being called to ministry. A person better be sure they're getting into it for the right reasons. They will see horrible things and only sometimes be able to make a difference. People within and out will always second-guess. It's a stress fest. I've got a nephew I'm trying to talk out of it right now.

Sometimes though you get a really satisfying day. Last Thursday I was driving along and a ball rolled into the road. Sure enough, three kids who looked to be between four and seven were chasing it. I turned on the overheads and parked in across the road, shutting down traffic. Then I got out and kicked the ball back to the kids. The twenty or so cars inconvenienced by this didn't seem to mind. After seeing a kid get squished and killed once years ago, it made my day. And no paperwork to boot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IME, the guys who become cops so they can run toward the sound of gunfire just become disenchanted and bitter quicker than the other cops. Every time they respond to a call of "my neighbor's rooster is crowing" or "my kid won't get out of bed" it just sucks a little more of the life out of them.

But the cop who says "I'm gonna do a good job at whatever comes up so that I can keep my paycheck coming in and never have to buy a donut again" is the guy who lasts a lot longer.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,628
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.