Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Just wondering if anyone has bought any new 700's recently if so how was the quality?

Tater
HR IC

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Bought a SS 308 SPS last month. It's shot about everything MOA or better. I've been very pleased with it and it's head and shoulders above the Ruger it replaced.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't bring myself to buy Remington anything right now. Quality is iffy at best.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bought a 700 ADL 223 in November and an 7-08 SPS SS in December. I'm pleased.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
I can't bring myself to buy Remington anything right now. Quality is iffy at best.

^^^This^^^

Just about the only new Remington I would buy now would be an old stock NIB Model 700 Classic. You can usually find them from $600 to $750 at most Gunshows.

The only other I would buy would be if I found a new old stock 788 in 6mm. I'm done buying current production Remington Rifles.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Curious, what would you buy? Ive been liking the Tikka's, amongst others.

Last edited by AggieDog; 05/14/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a LH CDL in 270 Win, it shoots average with H 4831 sc but does quite well with Magnum and IMR 7828 ssc. I am also pleased with the how well it feeds and the finish, nice gun for the money. I think that most of the people who actually bought guns recently will be pleased with them over the ones who just want to complain for some reason but haven't bought one themselves.

Gerry.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I bought a new 700 SPS sporter chambered in 223 a year ago and about 3 months ago I bought a new 700 SPS varminter, out of the box with no modifications whatever both are honest 3/4 inch 5 shot guns.
I do not like the SPS finish the bolt operation is rough until it is used quite a bit however on both of them the lugs are making good equal contact. The injections molded synthetic stocks though are a major step up from the older injection molded synthetics that Remington used.

I have owned a lot of 700's through the years and have had better luck with the more recent ones shooting well than I had with the older ones. Admittedly the older ones were smoother but accuracy wise I favor the new ones.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I picked up a cheap sub $300 ADL Synthetic 30-06 in October for a donor action then I messed up and shot it

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have purchased two SPS 700s recently. One in 260 and the other in 7mm-08. Both are extremely accurate and have been moved to the front of the safe.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So far 6 guys have bought 9 rifles and are pleased. Looks good so far.....

Gerry.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
yes, SF CDL. Trigger fix done before I bought it new. Trigger would not adjust, periord. Lowest was over 5lbs. Quality was fair, but not better than previous CDL. Took it apart and swapped triggers and then put it back together so it fit better than the factory had assembled. Still trying to get it to shoot satisfatory groups. I have bought one other rifle this year since the Remington and it is a Tikka. No problem with the trigger, working on load development but shoots 3/4 to 1/2 inch groups. Every Tikka I have owned has been the same story but I can only think of 2 700s that I could honestly get sub moa out of on a regular basis.

I see no reason for Remington not to be able to have a trigger as good as what is on the other rifles in the market. Tikka, Savage, Marlin (sister company), Ruger, Weatherby, Browning, Thompson Center, all seem to have figured it out.

Buy a new 700 if you want one. You now what you will probably get if you already have one or bought one in the last few years.

The one thing I personally feel is needed is for the rifle buying public to hold Remington accountable for a crap trigger rather than defending them and saying it is normal to have to go buy a $100+ replacement trigger when you buy a new rifle. Those days are over when you can buy a number of entry level guns at half or 2/3 the price with better triggers.

A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sanchez

I see no reason for Remington not to be able to have a trigger as good as what is on the other rifles in the market. Tikka, Savage, Marlin (sister company), Ruger, Weatherby, Browning, Thompson Center, all seem to have figured it out.

Buy a new 700 if you want one. You now what you will probably get if you already have one or bought one in the last few years.

The one thing I personally feel is needed is for the rifle buying public to hold Remington accountable for a crap trigger rather than defending them and saying it is normal to have to go buy a $100+ replacement trigger when you buy a new rifle. Those days are over when you can buy a number of entry level guns at half or 2/3 the price with better triggers.

^^^

I've got to agree; unfortunately. I liked the 700s back when Dupont owned them, but I don't even consider them anymore. For me, there are just too many better options out there for less money. My last rifle purchase was a Tikka.

Last edited by StudDuck; 05/15/15.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
pseshooter300 - purchased a new M40 Long Range in .30/06 recently. After changing the stock trigger for a 2# Timney
it performed quite well. Fit and finish quality top notch. No complaints. Homesteader

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Huntingnut

I absolutely agree. However, when I came across an SPS SA in 260 with a factory 8 twist, I just had to give it a go.

So far, so good. No issues. I've orderd a McSwirly and put a VX3/M1 off the 'Fire on it. I floated the barrel with shims, adjusted the factory trigger down to a pretty crisp 3# and started load development. Will continue this weekend. So far, 130 NABs and 127 LRXs show promise.

Last edited by 1Deernut; 05/15/15.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Bought a .243 Varmint model.. It was never as accurate as my older model 700.. They were tack drivers.. It is getting a new tube this month..

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would replace the trigger with a Timney whether it was a new
M700 SPS or a 1960's vintage M700 because a Timney is a better trigger than any Remington trigger.

So, I agree with the posters who know a 700 needs a trigger change when they buy it. But with a change they are among my favorite rifles along with Tikka. Light weight excellent balance and accuracy.

A Tikka needs a better recoil pad and the remaining question between a Tikka or a 700 is do you want a fixed magazine or removable clip?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bought four of them in the last year. Replaced the triggers in all before I shot them. They are all excellent shooters, not good...excellent.
Im a fan....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bought a Sportsman's Whorehouse .243 ADL on sale in Dec. Never shot it, re-barreled in a Shilen #3 22/250 8in twist.

After that was put together I got a Hogue with the BDL bottom metal off Flea-Bay to test fire. Gonna be good. Sold the stock off got an el-cheapo Leupy VX-2 CDS with some points involved from Cabelas and now just doing the McMillian wait.

My McSwirly God willing will be here late June early July and I'll break her in.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
My brother bought one in the Mountain Rifle configuration. It is hanging by a thread in his safe. He has had it since early last fall and is still trying to find a load that it likes. If my Ruger UL didn't shoot so well he may be more satisfied.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 60 invisible), 2,957 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,358
Posts18,488,022
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.