Print Thread
Hop To
C
Cropslx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Looking at getting the Minox HG 8x43 or the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42. Anyone have experience with both and what did you prefer? Any other binos you think are better in the $700 range?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Honestly, about the same to my eyes.

I have six pairs of binoculars. Two Minox HGs (8.5x43, 8x33),two Zeiss Victory FLs (8x32, 10x32),a Leica HD in 10x42. Plus one set of other Minoxs I inherited - 10x40's, BL series I think.

I've found the Minox and Zeiss conquests to be about the same. The Zeiss FL's are measurably more clear and sharper. The Leica's best of all.

Each, however, comes with a price. I love the warranty on the Minox, the eye relief, size and easy view of the FL's and the absolutely wonderful Leica HD's are just plain heavy for carrying around all day.

Of the two you've listed, flip a coin. I found that the real answer was to try and match the Bino's to the job at hand. The Minox No-Fault warranty has a lot of value in harsh or punishing environments.

Hunt Africa while you can
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Cropslx,

I've owned the Minox HG 8x43s; they are a wonderful binocular for the price. IMO, the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42(a close friend of mine owns these) is a tad better optically. Build quality on both is very, very good(Minox being a bit lighter in weight than the Conquest). I personally like the lighter weight of the Minox better, but something about the Conquest's extra few ounces just makes them feel very solid(rugged/durable). That's not to say that the Minox don't feel rugged and durable because they do. Conquest comes with lousy objective lens covers that tend to fall off and get lost easily and the outside of the barrels is oddly shaped so finding good fitting aftermarket covers might be iffy. Minox covers are decent quality and very user friendly. Personally, good quality lens covers are a big deal to me(they protect the lenses from dust/scratching etc. when bouncing down a dusty mountain road on a 4-wheeler while hunting), your mileage may vary.

Warranties on both are great and I doubt you'd ever have a problem with either company if warranty service was ever needed. No, I do not think you will find better for your $700 price limit.

Bottom line: Both of these binoculars are excellent(good enough optically that you'd never need a better bino, IMO).

I presently own the Minox APO HG 8x43(Minox's HD version of the HGs). These are "equal to" if not better than the Conquest HDs optically, but I also paid a couple hundred more for them (special Cameraland Demo sale) and I've never seen them on sale that low since.

Good luck, you can't go wrong with either one, IMO.

Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 05/15/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Regardless of the quality brand you choose, I am absolutely a believer in the 8X40ish size for field glasses.

I love my 8X32 FL ziess which are as good as glasses get, but compared to my wives 8X42 Terra's which are 1/3 the cost by the way...... well we usually use hers when the sun is about gone. They are by a large margin brighter and easier to see with at dusk and dawn.

There seems to be a point where the quality of the glass and the coatings cannot trump pure objective size. Decent glass with a large objective to magnification ratio are the real winner.

Good choice on the bino for hunting regardless of the brand

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Conquest HD is better optically.

Nothing wrong with the Vortex Razor HD if you can find a deal on one.

Last edited by Timberbuck; 05/16/15.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I love my Cabelas Euro HDs, made by Meopta. They were dang near (98%) as good as my Leica HDs for half the price. They run them on sale sometimes so may be worth looking at.

I tried a set of the Minox HGs, nice but I returned them, didn't like the focus wheel. The Conguest HDsI have never looked through.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone ever compare the 8x40ish roof to similar porros?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
C
Cropslx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by spence1875
I love my Cabelas Euro HDs, made by Meopta. They were dang near (98%) as good as my Leica HDs for half the price. They run them on sale sometimes so may be worth looking at.

I tried a set of the Minox HGs, nice but I returned them, didn't like the focus wheel. The Conguest HDsI have never looked through.

How much will you find them on sale for from Cabelas?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mine were 25 percent off plus free shipping I recollect.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 10 invisible), 1,707 guests, and 837 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,464
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.