Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I once made the mistake of trying to help an abandoned dog. I knew better, but it had that look of intelligence in its eyes, and displayed mannerisms that made me know it was a really good dog, but had just had the misfortune to be "owned" by a bad bunch of people. Unfortunately, it was infested with more fleas than I've ever seen before or since, and it had some skin problems, too.

My heart went out to it, and against my better judgment, I fed it. That was it. It officially "adopted" us. It was fall, and fairly cold, and it took to sleeping in our garage, which joins our home. It snuck in without making a sound, and in no time, our whole house was literally festering with fleas. It was SO bad that they'd wake me up at night crawling on me while I was in bed!!! Of course, this HAD to end, by whatever means necessary.

Over a period of about a month, we tried all manner of insecticides, and they DID at least push the assault on our home back significantly, but we later learned the REAL problem was the eggs they'd lay in the carpet, that only hatched AFTER the adults had succumbed to the pesticides. We also got concerned about the level of poisons in our home, too.

Finally, somebody (can't remember who) suggested we try this, and miracle of miracles, it killed every last one of them in a fairly short time. Here's what we did:

As was recommended, we took some tin pie pans from the grocery store, and filled them 3/8-1/2" deep with water. Then drop 3 drops of Dawn or other dishwashing liquid into each pan. This cuts the surface tension so that fleas can't float on the surface, and they drop down into the water and drown. DO NOT USE SOAP! It won't work nearly as well, and may increase the surface tension, making the "traps" ineffective. This is very important issue, and disregarding it may make it not work.

Place these about the house, particularly on carpet if you have it, in strategic locations where they're giving you the most problems. Then take your old Christmas lights out and improvise some sort of holder that will let you put a single light directly over the pan at about 6-8" height over the pan. Do all this in the evening before bedtime, turn out all lights except for those over your trap pans, and try to get some sleep. The bedroom is the last place you put them out.

In the morning, you'll be shocked at how many fleas will line the bottom of your traps. You wouldn't think there could possibly be THAT many fleas in your home. It will seem impossible that THAT many could hide from you, but seeing is believing, and corrects your former misconceptions.

Keep this up until all fleas are gone. It'll take about 2-3 weeks, and after that, it's up to your judgment when to stop. Remember, though, that it's those danged EGGS that are waiting to hatch that is the on-going problem, and I'd suggest you keep them out until you get none or at least less than you can count on the fingers of one hand before putting them away, and that many only if you keep a dog in the house as your "early warning system" if you're a hard sleeper, as I do.

I still have trouble believing how well this worked, and it sure made BREATHING in the house a LOT easier than using those insecticides. No, it isn't an instant fix, like we "moderns" tend to like and even expect, but it WORKS, and it's a lot safer than all those sprays or pro applications thereof.

Hope none of you ever face this, but it CAN happen to anyone, especially if you're an old softy for lost dogs like I am.

Last edited by Blackwater; 05/15/15.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
nephew has been doing this for 4 weeks now and still drowning fleas...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Never had this happen before in fifteen years in this house, tho there has always been cats and dogs inside the house. Advantix or the equivalent has always done the trick (and it should, costly as it is).

Probably this wet and humid spring after years of drought is a contributing factor, dormant eggs and all that.

Anyhow, a state of total chemical warfare has been underway for at least a week now; fogs, sprays, shampoos and drops. No end to the epidemic yet tho.

Birdwatcher

Go to Shades of Green plant nursery on Sunset Rd. in San Antonio and purchase fresh live nematodes. Anybody working there will fill you in on how to apply them in your yards. My dog gets Comfortis (spinosad) if she does get a few fleas. Revolution for the outdoor cats. Diatomaceous earth sprinkled on bedding.

I used to nuke my yards and house with every pesticide available with very little success but the above program has given me almost perfect results.

BP...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Comfortis is about the best thing on the market now. My practice is a t "flea central' Fla. The Seresta collars work a few months but not 8. Advantage will stop your flea problem if you don't have one. Frontline is not worth the time to buy it. If these solutions work you didn't have a flea problem. Comfortis is the most consistent solution to flea problems
My brother used the water trap in his house and it worked for him. He was bad to bring home strays and lived with a constant flea problem.

Last edited by drducati; 05/15/15.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
What boilerpig1 said.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

695 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 3,231 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,243
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.