Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
In my .240 HS, the 100 NPT over MRP is the most accurate load of all and I've tried many combo's. This load will shoot 1/2 MOA or better at 400 yds.

Just another gun where the Partition is the most accurate bullet.

DF

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
~ 20 years ago all I shot was 180 Partitions in my 30-06 Win. M670. I had heard of how inaccurate Partitions were so worked at getting them as consistent and straight as I could. The first 5 shot group was covered by a dime. Basically one ragged hole. Similar groups followed. Well I felt I didn't need that much accuracy since just slapping them together produced 1" 3 shot groups and took a lot less time.

The load was 56g of IMR 4350 in Winchester cases and a CCI 200 primer. 2650 FPS

T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
That 56.5gn load with H4350 is quite mild. I would work up further. Most rifles will take several more grains.

That charge will only be generating around 2600fps, maybe a little more which is under the 2800-2850fps potential for a 180gn bullet in the .30/06.

Interesting, I get 2720 fps out of the 22" barreled featherweight and similar in the other 30 '06 I tried that load in. 57.5 grains of H4350 made the bolt pretty stiff to open in both guns. I was surprised that that was where the max was for my rifles but I have repeated the load enough times to be sure.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That 56.5gn load with H4350 is quite mild. I would work up further. Most rifles will take several more grains.

That charge will only be generating around 2600fps, maybe a little more which is under the 2800-2850fps potential for a 180gn bullet in the .30/06.

^^^^^^ This

I've had numerous 30-06 rifles shoot Partitions very well. I'd load 3 ea of 57, 58, 59 grains of H 4350 under a 180 Part, seated 0.010-0.020 off L&G. I'd bet a nickel one of them will turn in MOA - if your rifle is bedded properly. I'd also consider Re 17 under the 180. My current 06 shoots a smidge better with Re 17 than H 4350 with the 180.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Make sure they are seated straight. Run them at max.

I have had quite a few rifles that would group them as well as Sierra's of equal weight with the same charges.

At present, my 7mm Mashburn Super shoots 160 NPT's as well as 162 Amax...and the Amax is an accurate bullet.

Generally I have had quite good accuracy with them.And have killed with them as far as 500 yards so the whole Partition accuracy conundrum is something I'm really not familiar with. On those rare occasions that I had a problem it was the load or the rifle that was sick and not the bullets.

I totally agree with Bob and Ingwe on this...

Careful there, agreeing with both of them... shocked

I've read that sometimes a faster powder will help the Partition obturate into the rifling better with enhanced accuracy. Looks to me like most any powder that blows the thing out the spout will obturate a soft base bullet as well as the next powder... cool

Maybe I got that tid bit of wisdom here on the Fire... cool

So, it may or may not be true... grin

DF

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
DF: I have noticed that going to a quicker powder may sometimes help a rifle shoot better with ANY bullet. smile

Partitions frequently shoot better as we approach maximum loads even with slow powders. I have seen it happen so often with things like the 270,and many magnum chamberings ,that I just wait for it to happen,and watch as the groups tighten up as max loads are approached.

Partitions aren't target bullets.But they aren't inherently inaccurate either. The fact that some rifles shoot them well,and some don't,makes me conclude that issues getting them to shoot are usually rifle or load related.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dirtfarmer,

The information about trying a slightly faster powder with Partitions didn't come from the Internet ether but Gail Root, who was the head bullet designer for Nosler for many years.

But I have also found that adding a grain or two more of the same powder can help. This is partly because most modern powders are designed to burn most consistently at 60,000 PSI or even more, but it probably does help Partition obturate as well. (Too many handloaders still give up if a "starting" load doesn't shoot all that well, having been told by too many people, including some gun writers, that milder loads usually shoot better. Which is BS.)

I also suspect the reason so many handloaders give up early when loading a more costly bullet like a Partition early is price. Which is why I normally start with a lower-priced bullet of the same weight and style when working up a load for a pricey bullet, finding out which powders and loads work best before switching to a Partition, TSX, Berger, Lapua or whatever for fine-tuning the load.

I have also owned and used a bullet runout gauge for at least 25 years now. One of the many things it taught me is that all the tools that supposedly result in straight-seated bullets don't help nearly as much as KNOWING which loading tools and techniques work by measuring your loaded rounds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bwinters

^^^^^^ This

I've had numerous 30-06 rifles shoot Partitions very well. I'd load 3 ea of 57, 58, 59 grains of H 4350 under a 180 Part, seated 0.010-0.020 off L&G. I'd bet a nickel one of them will turn in MOA - if your rifle is bedded properly. I'd also consider Re 17 under the 180. My current 06 shoots a smidge better with Re 17 than H 4350 with the 180.

Nosler lists 56.5gr of H4350 as max for 30-06 180gr partition, I would start low and work up wink . My 22" howa runs 2650 fps with 56.5 and 2700fps with 57gr.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dirtfarmer,

The information about trying a slightly faster powder with Partitions didn't come from the Internet ether but Gail Root, who was the head bullet designer for Nosler for many years.

But I have also found that adding a grain or two more of the same powder can help. This is partly because most modern powders are designed to burn most consistently at 60,000 PSI or even more, but it probably does help Partition obturate as well. (Too many handloaders still give up if a "starting" load doesn't shoot all that well, having been told by too many people, including some gun writers, that milder loads usually shoot better. Which is BS.)

I also suspect the reason so many handloaders give up early when loading a more costly bullet like a Partition early is price. Which is why I normally start with a lower-priced bullet of the same weight and style when working up a load for a pricey bullet, finding out which powders and loads work best before switching to a Partition, TSX, Berger, Lapua or whatever for fine-tuning the load.

I have also owned and used a bullet runout gauge for at least 25 years now. One of the many things it taught me is that all the tools that supposedly result in straight-seated bullets don't help nearly as much as KNOWING which loading tools and techniques work by measuring your loaded rounds.

Good info, John, as always.

I feel better already, knowing it wasn't a senior moment or Fire rumor. I've enjoyed more than my share of both lately... laugh

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tcp

Interesting, I get 2720 fps out of the 22" barreled featherweight and similar in the other 30 '06 I tried that load in. 57.5 grains of H4350 made the bolt pretty stiff to open in both guns. I was surprised that that was where the max was for my rifles but I have repeated the load enough times to be sure.

That's been my exact experience as well. I may have even dropped back to 56 grains and 2700 fps for top notch accuracy. Remember, every rifle is different. I'll find a picture and post my load data, it may help.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Partitions aren't target bullets. But they aren't inherently inaccurate either. The fact that some rifles shoot them well,and some don't,makes me conclude that issues getting them to shoot are usually rifle or load related.

Their design does have an extra potential source of imbalance.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
DF: I have noticed that going to a quicker powder may sometimes help a rifle shoot better with ANY bullet. smile

Partitions frequently shoot better as we approach maximum loads even with slow powders. I have seen it happen so often with things like the 270,and many magnum chamberings ,that I just wait for it to happen,and watch as the groups tighten up as max loads are approached.

Partitions aren't target bullets.But they aren't inherently inaccurate either. The fact that some rifles shoot them well,and some don't,makes me conclude that issues getting them to shoot are usually rifle or load related.

Same here. Run them a little harder. Seen the same thing over and over. Push them a little harder and watch them come together.

Also, don't be scared to seat them a little deeper as well. I've found a few rifles that do very well around .040-.060" deep as well.

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Aahh....the culprit emerges! smile

Some of the tightest groups I've fire with M70's have been with pre 64 FW's chambered 30/06. But.....they can be very persnickety and unless well bedded and tuned can be difficult.

I think the reason is simple. A 180 gr load is a lot of mass to push down the barrel of such a light rifle, and the barrel contour (IMO) is on the ragged edge of being heavy enough for a 30/06.

Put it in a light,stiff synthetic (which does not absorb vibration but rather transmits it) and the rifle will quickly show what it likes and dislikes. Small details become important with a light rifle and powerful load. It's harmonics.

Surprisingly (maybe) 150-165 gr bullets will sometimes shoot better.Matter of fact most of my pre 64 30/06's have been FW's and in general 165's will show better grouping ability than 180's but not always.

What I would try: Check your ammo for run out and segregate ammo using the stuff that measures .005 and under for grouping. Use the other stuff for off hand practice etc. See if that works. With proper bedding I have seen pre 64 06 FW's go from indifferent grouping to small groups by watching run out.I would bet $5 bucks that those "flyers" have excessive run out.

Get a Redding Competition or other straight line seating die and seat bullets straight as possible.Straight seating can be a bigger issue than seating depth.

Also, IMR4350 may not be "the" powder. I would try H4350 and RL 19.

Third, if the 180's still won't do it, switch to the 165 gr Partition. For most uses the animals will never know the difference.

BTW, stick those 180 gr loads in a standard grade and they will probably shoot knot holes. Just more rifle mass to soak up the vibes. smile
i would believe all this except my Tikka .300 win mag puts them under an inch easy and at 7 lbs. it is a little light oon barrel contour ...... it also has shot every other bullet I shot out of it under an inch so maybe I just got a consistent 1"inch gun........

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't think Bob is saying all lightweight rifles are persnickety. Instead his post is specifically about pre-'64 Model 70 Feathwerweights, especially in their original stocks with no bedding work. This isn't just because of the bedding but because pre-'64 actions weren't as precisely made (as in "blueprinted") as many newer rifles. Plus they had iron sights attached to their barrels, which can also affect accuracy.

That's nothing against the pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester. It was what it was, and the Featherweights I've owned have shot plenty well enough for general big game hunting. But they did NOT shoot like my NULA rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't think Bob is saying all lightweight rifles are persnickety. Instead his post is specifically about pre-'64 Model 70 Feathwerweights, especially in their original stocks with no bedding work. This isn't just because of the bedding but because pre-'64 actions weren't as precisely made (as in "blueprinted") as many newer rifles. Plus they had iron sights attached to their barrels, which can also affect accuracy.

That's nothing against the pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester. It was what it was, and the Featherweights I've owned have shot plenty well enough for general big game hunting. But they did NOT shoot like my NULA rifles.

Exactly. John understands what I was saying.

It's a trait of pre 64 FW 30/06's in particular and based on having had and shot quite a few. In general I have found the 270's a bit less fussy.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Duely noted , I have never warmed to Model 70s so I was not sure if it was a Winchester thing or not. For a 6' tall 210 lbs. man I have little womanly hands and my thumb does not reach a 3 position safety well with out some effort , hence I never use them......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by mathman

Partitions aren't target bullets. But they aren't inherently inaccurate either. The fact that some rifles shoot them well,and some don't,makes me conclude that issues getting them to shoot are usually rifle or load related.

Their design does have an extra potential source of imbalance.
I never experienced inaccuracy problems with them , but I am sure it happens as with any bullet. Trying to get two cores center and balanced is not as easy as one.
Nosler seems to be the only company that sells lots of Blemish bullets cheap..... I always wonder about that ... do they just admit more problems then other companies???????????

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

Yeah, I have noticed the same thing about the .270 in a number of lightweight rifles. Have long suspected it's because there's more steel around a .27-caliber hole than a .30-caliber hole, in the same contour barrel, in light barrels enough to make a difference.

Have kinda wondered how a .243 Featherweight would shoot, but haven't been intrigued enough to pay for one and find out!

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bob,

Yeah, I have noticed the same thing about the .270 in a number of lightweight rifles. Have long suspected it's because there's more steel around a .27-caliber hole than a .30-caliber hole, in the same contour barrel, in light barrels enough to make a difference.

Have kinda wondered how a .243 Featherweight would shoot, but haven't been intrigued enough to pay for one and find out!

John me neither..... smile

I think it is the contour myself.

We tend to poopoo it in this day of large capacity magnums but the 30/06 is a potent cartridge that gins up a lot of "everything" that makes a rifle vibrate. The standard grades are easier to get to shoot.I have long felt the FW contour is on the light side for the 30/06 but it is what it is....I like mine cause it's easy to carry.

Not much experience with 243's but I notice pre 64 Swifts can be very accurate.....264 Win Mags, too. Plenty of steel in those I think.

That leads up to my point about those "flyers" and straight seating....following your advice I have found it to help a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Partitions are almost always a good bullet for accuracy. It is about the best IHMO for game. I have had good luck with Sierra on paper and bad luck with Sierra on game. Sierras are also great for Prairie Dogs.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,842 guests, and 1,453 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,265
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.