Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I the experience of those here, by how much do Partitions fall short in accuracy in comparison to other cup and core hunting bullets like the Sierra PH?

I ask as although I would really like to use Nosler Partitions for game larger than deer- I have never been able to work up a load that was consistently accurate.

I am not expecting benchrest accuracy, but I find that if I can achieve moa groups with Sierras, I usually struggle to keep 1.5 moa groups with the Partitions. And, I find, the percentage of "where did that come from?" fliers greater with Partitions.

I do not want to be interpreted as knocking Nosler - I have used Accubonds and do use Ballistic Tips with good results - esp. the 95 gr .243 BT

I have tried to find a load I am pleased with in 3 different .30 caliber rifles using the 180 Partition and used the better part of three boxes of bullets doing it.

Any tips or suggestions are welcome- I know 1.5 moa groups are adequate for 99% of the shots I will take when hunting, but I would like better, particularly to eliminate the fliers, and I would like to use Partitions if I could get them to shoot better.

Thank you.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Adding a 1/2 MOA with Partitions over BT/AB's in not uncommon, but some barrels just love partitions.

I have both in my safe, but more of the former then the latter.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2 25-06 rifles that don't care a lick for any of the partitions. Then I picked up a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 243 and shoot .6 5-shot groups and ring the gong at 500 yards. As A-sniper said, some love 'em, some don't.

My advice is give them a try, you just may well be surprised.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have had very good accuracy with 180s in my '06.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've had excellent accuracy results with the 7mm 140 grain Partitions in my 7x57. Their effectiveness leaves nothing to be desired either.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 125 grain Partitions are extremely accurate in my .264 Win. Mag. 1/2" @ 100 yards for a 5 shot group. But they average about 1.5" in the rest of my hunting rifles.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive had good luck getting partitions to shoot in anything Ive tried them in.Not too tough to get MOA at 100 yds....but can be tough to get better. Good enough for a hunting bullet for most applications.

Last edited by ingwe; 05/14/15.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Make sure they are seated straight. Run them at max.

I have had quite a few rifles that would group them as well as Sierra's of equal weight with the same charges.

At present, my 7mm Mashburn Super shoots 160 NPT's as well as 162 Amax...and the Amax is an accurate bullet.

Generally I have had quite good accuracy with them.And have killed with them as far as 500 yards so the whole Partition accuracy conundrum is something I'm really not familiar with. On those rare occasions that I had a problem it was the load or the rifle that was sick and not the bullets.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Make sure they are seated straight. Run them at max.

I have had quite a few rifles that would group them as well as Sierra's of equal weight with the same charges.

At present, my 7mm Mashburn Super shoots 160 NPT's as well as 162 Amax...and the Amax is an accurate bullet.

Generally I have had quite good accuracy with them.And have killed with them as far as 500 yards so the whole Partition accuracy conundrum is something I'm really not familiar with. On those rare occasions that I had a problem it was the load or the rifle that was sick and not the bullets.

I totally agree with Bob and Ingwe on this...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tcp
I the experience of those here, by how much do Partitions fall short in accuracy in comparison to other cup and core hunting bullets like the Sierra PH?

I ask as although I would really like to use Nosler Partitions for game larger than deer- I have never been able to work up a load that was consistently accurate.

I am not expecting benchrest accuracy, but I find that if I can achieve moa groups with Sierras, I usually struggle to keep 1.5 moa groups with the Partitions. And, I find, the percentage of "where did that come from?" fliers greater with Partitions.

I do not want to be interpreted as knocking Nosler - I have used Accubonds and do use Ballistic Tips with good results - esp. the 95 gr .243 BT

I have tried to find a load I am pleased with in 3 different .30 caliber rifles using the 180 Partition and used the better part of three boxes of bullets doing it.

Any tips or suggestions are welcome- I know 1.5 moa groups are adequate for 99% of the shots I will take when hunting, but I would like better, particularly to eliminate the fliers, and I would like to use Partitions if I could get them to shoot better.

Thank you.

Todd, I'm assuming you are wanting to use these in your 30-06 fwt. Did you switch to a Mcmillan stock like you were wanting to do and was it glass bedded properly?? I easily get sub moa groups with my fwt 06 and it is damn near identical to your rifle. However, mine has been glass bedded, trigger adjusted to 2.5 pounds, and proper loads have been worked up. Can you give us a little more info on the rifles you are having problems with? Thanks..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I find my workup for Nosler takes more "effort" than Hornady's? Odd but seems to be my luck? They also seem to be more sensitive to seating depth than others. That being said they can be very accurate.

T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by tcp

Thank you.

Todd, I'm assuming you are wanting to use these in your 30-06 fwt. Did you switch to a Mcmillan stock like you were wanting to do and was it glass bedded properly?? I easily get sub moa groups with my fwt 06 and it is damn near identical to your rifle. However, mine has been glass bedded, trigger adjusted to 2.5 pounds, and proper loads have been worked up. Can you give us a little more info on the rifles you are having problems with? Thanks..

Yes, working up loads for a pre '64 30 '06 featherweight- Brown Precision stock bedded appropriately, 2.5 lb trigger, rifle shoots 180 gr Sierra PH into inchish 5 shot groups at 100 yards, (56.5 grains H4350, Win LR primer, Norma brass bullets seated 0.020 from jam)

I have tried varying seating depth from .012 to .030 without success and varying powder charge up and down half a grain - just not getting anything to brag about for groups and "fliers" often. I was just hoping for better.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Aahh....the culprit emerges! smile

Some of the tightest groups I've fire with M70's have been with pre 64 FW's chambered 30/06. But.....they can be very persnickety and unless well bedded and tuned can be difficult.

I think the reason is simple. A 180 gr load is a lot of mass to push down the barrel of such a light rifle, and the barrel contour (IMO) is on the ragged edge of being heavy enough for a 30/06.

Put it in a light,stiff synthetic (which does not absorb vibration but rather transmits it) and the rifle will quickly show what it likes and dislikes. Small details become important with a light rifle and powerful load. It's harmonics.

Surprisingly (maybe) 150-165 gr bullets will sometimes shoot better.Matter of fact most of my pre 64 30/06's have been FW's and in general 165's will show better grouping ability than 180's but not always.

What I would try: Check your ammo for run out and segregate ammo using the stuff that measures .005 and under for grouping. Use the other stuff for off hand practice etc. See if that works. With proper bedding I have seen pre 64 06 FW's go from indifferent grouping to small groups by watching run out.I would bet $5 bucks that those "flyers" have excessive run out.

Get a Redding Competition or other straight line seating die and seat bullets straight as possible.Straight seating can be a bigger issue than seating depth.

Also, IMR4350 may not be "the" powder. I would try H4350 and RL 19.

Third, if the 180's still won't do it, switch to the 165 gr Partition. For most uses the animals will never know the difference.

BTW, stick those 180 gr loads in a standard grade and they will probably shoot knot holes. Just more rifle mass to soak up the vibes. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/14/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the suggestions. Powder is H already, I am using a Redding competion seater- I have been toying with the idea of getting a run out checking tool.

I have had a very accurate 300 WSM with a Krieger barrel that shot everything but Partitions well.

I will keep trying until the box is gone...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot a rem 700 in 300saum, and my old boss shoots a model 7 in 300saum. His rifle loved the 150 Sierra's and mine loves the 165 Partitions. I can easily cover 3 shots with a quarter at 100yds. His sierras shot just as well as my Partitions. I didn't try the Sierra's but he had tried the partitions and he preferred the 150 Sierra's because they were shorter.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
my Ruger .308 Win loves 150 gr partitions and max load of Varget. My favorite hunting load.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
That 56.5gn load with H4350 is quite mild. I would work up further. Most rifles will take several more grains.

That charge will only be generating around 2600fps, maybe a little more which is under the 2800-2850fps potential for a 180gn bullet in the .30/06.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I use R-22 in 30-06 for 180's. 59 and 60 grains both group about 2" at 300. That is all I can expect from that rifle. I use 60 gr. Could go up further, but the speed matches the trajectory I want, and the sight setting aligns with others I shoot.

I haven't seen problems getting Partitions to shoot well for decades now, and those could have been operator error, for all I know: I was still a kid. My brother and his wife have a pair of 280s that shoot Partitions VERY well, as in 1/3-1/2" at 100. Another guy I load for has a model 70 in 270 that shoots the 150's just slightly worse that the best bullets out of his rifle, about 2/3". I don't think the problem is with the bullets, if anyone has a problem getting them to shoot.

The only ones I've ever had problems with were the 22 cal version, but I've decided that the twist rates in a few guns were too slow to get them to shoot straight. They do as well as anything in a 1:8 twist. Not good for me in 1:10, 1:12, or 1:14.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have never had a problem getting Partitions to shoot in any of my guns. My 7 mags will both shoot the 160s into 1/2-3/4-minute if I do my part. Same results in my 6mm. I have yet to try them in my .308, but expect the same results with the 165 Partition.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
180 gr NP in the 06 usually just works without much drama. I normally run use H4350 or imr 4831 close to book max. I'd try some 180 gr factory ammo and compare.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 02bfishn, 1234, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,724
Posts18,475,806
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.