Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Pretty evident these high iq typrs cant correlate the degree of misery and helplessnes and loss of prosperity in our sorry current state with the decline in parcipitation in our christion faith.

…13"If I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or if I command the locust to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among My people, 14and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 15"Now My eyes will be open and My ears attentive to the prayer offered in this place.…

But, our wise will testify, all we need is another Ronald Reagan or a decent sucker to rule after the currant pagan.

We, a Christain nation, have been sent a pestilance and it is in our WH.

Last edited by eyeball; 05/15/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Eye..,

You got me laughing. Your post is the only one in this whole thread that I agee with. We indeed have a pestilence in the White House. 😂😂😂

O

Too old to suffer fools
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by OUTCAST
Eye..,

You got me laughing. Your post is the only one in this whole thread that I agee with. We indeed have a pestilence in the White House. 😂😂😂

O

An Marxist Muslim who claims to be a Christian??

That pestilence?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by Chris_EOD
"Athiest numbers increase in the U.S."

Pretty much explains the concept the lack of respect for law, order and the trampling of the Bill of Rights.

Its not the belief that atheism exists, its the acceptance of it and everything it doesn't stand for....

There's a bold ignorance filled statement. Tell me, how does my disbelief in your religion equate to me doing those things? I'm looking forward to this answer.

Tell me how you believe in the Bill of Rights without recognizing the source they are bestowed from?

I'm not being ignorant; you don't believe in the founding documents. Your disbelief by choice, don't get pissed at me about it.

So you aren't going to answer the question?
I'm not pissed, I'm stunned by your stupidity.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
You apparently don't believe all men are created equal for starters, or at least obviously that men are not endowed by their creator certain inalienable rights, so tell me what other ideas or beliefs you choose to select? I have no idea, so tell me.

I'm not saying YOU personally have a lack of respect for anything, but for you to not believe in a higher power but to claim a belief in our foundation government out of thin air doesn't make any sense.

It's the only thing stupid here....you obviously would be stunned, but I think you'll have no problem explaining things away to suit your individual needs in the face of the basic tenants from which your rights come from.

Last edited by HawkI; 05/15/15.
IC B2

B
BFD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Is there anything quite so entertaining as watching a christian try to corner an atheist on the Campfire?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Pretty evident these high iq typrs cant correlate the degree of misery and helplessnes and loss of prosperity in our sorry current state with the decline in parcipitation in our christion faith.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Atheists and Agnostics rank high in wealth, while Christians are some of the poorest people around......(we all know, of course, that all Christians would be rich were it not for the Muslim Communist in the White House).

grin

I seem to remember George Bush (who was not a Muslim) starting a war based on lies that cause a worldwide economic catastrophe.

I guess we've forgotten that one.

grin

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
You can't corner an atheist.

They don't have any rules or a rulebook, and they don't wear anything on their sleeves now do they? wink

B
BFD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You are right, you can't corner an atheist to save your life. But you are fun to watch. But then so is a dog chasing his tail. smile

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DancesWithGuns

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Atheists and Agnostics rank high in wealth, while Christians are some of the poorest people around.

The actual order of wealth according to religion is:

Atheist
Jews
Christians
Hindus and Buddhist
Muslims
Folk religions.

Personally, I'd like to see where Marxist would fall if we were able to break them our from the rest of Atheist. I imagine someplace between Muslims and Hindus.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by MojoHand
I realize most believers need god to use a different set of laws to explain the llack of evidence and scientific inconsistency in the creation account. Particularly if you're a YEC. THAT is illogical. You claim to believe in an omnipotent God yet he has to adjust the rules (or move the goal posts) to make things work for you.

The failing point of most believers is the a priori assumption that the Bible is infallible and inerrant. They then build their entire defense around this assumption. They then use the bible to 'prove' the bible is true and, hence, their particular version of God. Of course the bible is full of 'evidence' for God...it as written by ancient, unscientific and superstitious jingoistic Jews with an agenda. The reason I threw Paul in there is he is one of the greatest proponents of the salvation by faith meme yet he (a persecutor and/or murderer) gets a special exception and gets a personal visit from God himself...hardly the stuff faith is made of.

Your definition of faith kind of leaves everyone B.C. in a bit of of a lurch. A bit awkward for that roll call of the heroes of the faith in Hebrews, eh? Not to mention the billions who have never heard the name Jesus or laid eyes on your accepted version of the bible.

A lot of points could be made. I am, however, growing tired of the thread.

You reminded me of a quote by Regan, I paraphrase, "The trouble with our .... friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."

There was a way for B.C people to receive the atonement provided by Christ. They received it by looking forward to his advent...we receive it by looking back. If you took the time to read all of Hebrews chapter 11, you would constantly see the phrase "By faith" associated to what you describe as "the heroes of the faith." It always amazes me that some are so blinded in making their point that the loose the point that is right in front of them..

God does not adjust the rules to make things work for me. God created all things (and creatures) for his good pleasure.

It is inevitable that everyone, as Hitchens puts it, "assumes what they need to prove." If one assumes faith as an axiomatic starting point he/she will refer to the Bible to prove their point. If one assumes reason and logic is his axiomatic starting point, she/he will appeal to reason and logic to prove their point.

A final point, because I am tired. Those who saw Christ ( Peter to be exact) transfigured, latter wrote, "We were with him on the mount." But we have a more sure word prophesy." Jesus said to Thomas, (I paraphrase), "Ye believe because ye have seen my hands and my side. Blessed are they that believe and have not seen."

Its late and I'm tired. So I'll finish with this. The problem with these post is that eventually people only want to "win" the debate.

I have co-workers of different faiths, no faith, self proclaimed atheist and agnostics. I even have a co-worker...a friend...who believes aliens spread their DNA across ancient seas thus starting the evolutionary process...or Aliens are the ones who built great civilization and imparted great technology to humankind.

I enjoy conversations with them, I don't debate them...it is not about winning. My goal is to simply follow the logic that led to their conclusions. I expect the same from them.

If most of us were sitting around the fire after the hunt, and we were settling in for the evening, this thread would probably have gone in a completely different direction.

Friends don't try to win. They try to create trust so that they can speak their minds without being marginalized of intimidated

GB,

Thanks for the debate.

Last night I listened to part of the Hitchens, Lennox video you posted. I'd forgotten just how good a speaker Lennox is. Of course that doesn't hide the fallacies in his logic, but he's a pleasant listen. Considering this debate was in the deep south I had to wonder if you were in the audience that day?

If you enjoy this type of banter, and I suspect you do, don't let the debate tire you out. You can always take a break and hit us with some new idea's later. Last night I escaped to load 4 boxes of ammo, and this afternoon, with a little luck, I'll get to use them for a little stress relief.

Have a good weekend.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Chris_EOD
"Athiest numbers increase in the U.S."

Pretty much explains the concept the lack of respect for law, order and the trampling of the Bill of Rights.

Its not the belief that atheism exists, its the acceptance of it and everything it doesn't stand for....

There's a bold ignorance filled statement. Tell me, how does my disbelief in your religion equate to me doing those things? I'm looking forward to this answer.

Tell me how you believe in the Bill of Rights without recognizing the source they are bestowed from?

I'm not being ignorant; you don't believe in the founding documents. Your disbelief by choice, don't get pissed at me about it.

Look who's being ignorant:

Here's the preamble to our Constitution. Look, no reference to God:

WE THE PEOPLE of the United States, in Order to form a more
perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility,
provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare,
and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity,
do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Here's the only reference to religion in the Constitution:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,
or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom
of speech, or of the press; of the right of the people peaceably
to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Nothing in this document would preclude the support of a person who does not believe in a supernatural being.

Go a little further, check out The Bill of Rights and get back to us. Look on the back of the humble penny. Look at the many structures in D.C. and what is inscribed upon them. There's more but on this matter, you'll skate, deflect and offer up some other bs.

But,,I do enjoy your posts and admire your stand for what you don't believe.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MojoHand
You're right, we don't know what you believe about the definition of an atheist because you are too cowardly to put one forth. You use an accepted term of definition in society and then claim that it doesn't exist. Obviously, you have some personally held definition of the concept of an 'atheist' which, again, your cowardice keeps you from elucidating. You are not discussing religion, atheism or God...you're playing a churlish game of semantics. Nut up and describe what this apparition is that doesn't exist (in your mind). And though it's obvious to apparently everyone else let me break it down for you. Just because something doesn't exist (or has no proof of existence) does not mean it can't be described or that people don't have a concept of said item. A simple example for you...a unicorn. Doesn't exist but everybody can describe what one is or its characteristics. So quit dodging and hiding and give us YOUR definition of the idea that the rest of humanity calls an 'atheist'.
Mojo - you are being blind to the core issue, and nasty at that. My post had nothing to do with any of my beliefs except the one stated. I used a simple term but applied no definition of anything, and did not rely on one. I never introduced religion or God to the posts - AS and you did. You both keep pushing for me to "define" something I say does not exist, apparently because you want a target. I simply used the well-known term "atheist". There is nothing semantic about that, unless you want to play with definitions. I do not, and will not engage your silly evasive game. There is nothing cowardly in holding to one's position and holding another's feet to the fire.

It's an open field. You can provide your own definition of atheist and go from there to provide proof that such a thing exists. How does it feel to be on the horns of a dilemma?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well, guys, I may be new to this segment of the forum here, and maybe that's where I need to stay.

All this sniping and arguing pointlessly reminds me of the scientific community. Many are about half-educated, and listen ONLY to what their profs told them about the efficacy of their chosen profession. Consequently, they become, by default mostly, scientismists. Scientism refers to those who believe science is the ONLY way to see "Truth."

Other, more broad minced and balanced scientists have no problem considering, weighing and making use of info from a broader spectrum of our earthly experience.

Strict science, at its very beginning, flatly stated that they would not devote their attention to ANY that were not explainable in a strict physical sense, simply because it could not be observed or quantified.

Other scientists are more comfortable and open to a broader spectrum of human experience and sources of its knowledge. The entire field of psychology, sociology, anthropology and all the so-called "humanities" stem from this broader view of the word "science."

However, when it comes to the matter of the emotional subject of religion, many "scientists" and pretenders to the title seem to have a rather grandiose regard for their own thoughts and prejudices. I say this because the very thing that makes their pursuits possible, the process of observation-analysis-conclusion, and the ONLY thing that might give them any real credibility, is THEN denied as being a legitimate basis for consideration of the bases for their religion.

It's been said of conservatives that we "eat our own," arguing amongst ourselves, usually quite pridefully and pig-headedly, while the liberals band together to advance THEIR agenda quite effectively.

Are we Christians to follow suit in this inanity???

Here's the situation as I see it. Some here see the Bible as the strict and literal "Word of God." Some see it as more generalized "suggestions" that are subject to our own evaluation and oversight control. Still others see it as a "fairy tale" that has no element of Truth in it. And amidst all this is the simple and very observable fact that nobody wants to give an inch in any of it, and the more they're confronted with a counter-argument, the more fastly and radically they hold to their first impressions and impulses. Rationality really takes a hit, if not a total knockout, and it's just fun and games while the "party" lasts, which is too long, but actually never very long at all. Nobody "wins." Nobody "loses." At least not in their own minds. And nothing changes, but the echoes of the parlay continue to echo through the years, only to be repeated again and again ad infinitum.

The ONLY time a person CAN be converted from disbelief to belief is when they are down and out, and humbled ENOUGH, if even then, to admit their own frailties and errors of the past. ONLY then are they really open to conversion, and if they're not open to it, even God won't interfere. He left THAT decision entirely and completely up to them. Can we do more than God????? I think NOT!

So all this trying to "win" this argument is in itself a bit inane. It's pointless, and promises any of us nothing whatever to gain. It's just instinctive of us to argue these points, but that was when folks actually LISTENED to each other, and fairly considered what the other party actually said. It's not like that now, and that, too, is part of the reason this nation is going increasingly faster downhill.

Truly, we'll ALL merit the final outcome, when it gets here!

That's my take on all of this, and I'm pretty much out'a here. There HAS to be more productive ground! I may not be very bright sometimes, but really, I'm not THAT foolish that I'd argue with those who can't or won't understand or even listen accurately to what is said, or continue to re-evaluate their own ideas lest they fall into haughtiness. If there's nothing to be gained, then why continue in that manner, and why not seek more productive and edifying material elsewhere???

Last edited by Blackwater; 05/16/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MacLorry
On this much I agree with mojohand. God created the universe...and then created the laws the universe.

If God suspended the laws of nature during creation, it would follow that the laws of nuture existed before creation.

From an intellegent design position, those would seem to be contradictory statements.

Which came first the laws of nature or nature itself is like the chicken and egg conundrum. Given God as described in the Bible we simply have no basis to claim something couldn't be done in a particular order based on human understanding.

Based on my understanding of scripture, there can be no logical proof against the existence of an Almighty God because we can have to basis from which to judge something too hard for God to do. There can be no logical proof for the existence of Almighty God because He has chosen faith in the foolishness of the message preached as the means of salvation, and He can confound any human endeavor to logically prove his existence.

Why faith? Well first off it's something every accountable human can do. Second, faith in the free gift of salvation purchased by the blood of Christ excludes pride as pride led to Lucifer's downfall and such self pride can have no place in God's Kingdome. The greatest treasure is hidden from the proud of heart, but easily found by children, such is the wisdom of God.

What did I say about special pleading?

This entire post is nothing but one big run-on case of special pleading.

Special pleading is a form of fallacious argument that involves an attempt to cite something as an exception to a generally accepted rule, principle, etc. without justifying the exception.

Acts of divine creation and intervention are by definition exceptions to generally accepted rules and principle as known by humankind. Because you asked and I stated that we're discussing God as defined by the Bible justifies the exception and renders your citing of special pleading erroneous. In fact, you're using special pleading as a rhetorical dodge to avoid the logical conclusion that there can be no logical proof against the existence of Almighty God.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Atheists and Agnostics rank high in wealth, while Christians are some of the poorest people around.

Atheist
Jews
Christians
Hindus and Buddhist
Muslims
Folk religions.

You can't lump Christians all together and be accurate.

There are huge differences between, for example, higher end Presbyterians (who are mostly rich) and the more backward fundamentalist Baptists and other evangelicals (who are generally dirt poor).

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are huge differences between, for example, higher end Presbyterians (who are mostly rich) and the more backward fundamentalist Baptists and other evangelicals (who are generally dirt poor).

laffin'

Categorizing 'Christians' according to their worldly wealth.

laffin' some more

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Special pleading is a form of fallacious argument that involves an attempt to cite something as an exception to a generally accepted rule, principle, etc. without justifying the exception.

Acts of divine creation and intervention are by definition exceptions to generally accepted rules and principle as known by humankind. Because you asked and I stated that we're discussing God as defined by the Bible justifies the exception and renders your citing of special pleading erroneous. In fact, you're using special pleading as a rhetorical dodge to avoid the logical conclusion that there can be no logical proof against the existence of Almighty God.

But he doesn't mind "special pleading" when it comes from his favorite atheist physicist and involves "special" quantum fields.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Atheist
Jews
Christians
Hindus and Buddhist
Muslims
Folk religions.

DWG,

It would be interesting to parse Christians, and for the matter Muslims, by their level of fundamentalism and see how the fell out. Of course, that would require a more complex data set, and a lot of work creating it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
On this much I agree with mojohand. God created the universe...and then created the laws the universe.

If God suspended the laws of nature during creation, it would follow that the laws of nuture existed before creation.

From an intellegent design position, those would seem to be contradictory statements.

Which came first the laws of nature or nature itself is like the chicken and egg conundrum. Given God as described in the Bible we simply have no basis to claim something couldn't be done in a particular order based on human understanding.

Based on my understanding of scripture, there can be no logical proof against the existence of an Almighty God because we can have to basis from which to judge something too hard for God to do. There can be no logical proof for the existence of Almighty God because He has chosen faith in the foolishness of the message preached as the means of salvation, and He can confound any human endeavor to logically prove his existence.

Why faith? Well first off it's something every accountable human can do. Second, faith in the free gift of salvation purchased by the blood of Christ excludes pride as pride led to Lucifer's downfall and such self pride can have no place in God's Kingdome. The greatest treasure is hidden from the proud of heart, but easily found by children, such is the wisdom of God.

What did I say about special pleading?

This entire post is nothing but one big run-on case of special pleading.

Not at all. As an example lets us Barry's Cosomological argument. The argument basically goes humans intelligence (and the earth, the universe, pretty much everything else) is so complex, that is must have been designed by an intelligent creator.

So, human intelligence is so complex it requires a creator. But consider how complex such an intelligence would be. It would be MORE complex then our level of intelligence, which by the same reasoning would also require an creator. To suggest the Theist departure from this reasoning is somehow justified because a bronze age book says so is absurd.

Of course special pleading is just one of the fallacies commuted with this reasoning. The idea that we are too complex to have evolved is just a case of Personal incredulity.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (44mc, 1100mag, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,256
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.