Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KLStottlemyer
Originally Posted by z1r
Welding up holes that haven't been measured to be off seems a little silly. First thing to do is determine what is really wrong.

No the question was how to correct off center holes, Not how to find out if the holes are off center

True, that was the first question which was then followed by: "Or is it possible that the problem is with the barrel but not the action?"

Thus, my response. The OP isn't even sure the holes are off. Doesn't it make sense to find out before welding them up??? It does to me. Before I go off fixing things, I like to determine what actually needs fixing. But hey...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Is that a custom piece you made?
Mike

Those are a pair of V blocks with relief cuts for working on Weaver scope bases.

This gives access to alter the bottom side of the base with a boring head in the mill.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by KLStottlemyer
Originally Posted by z1r
Welding up holes that haven't been measured to be off seems a little silly. First thing to do is determine what is really wrong.

No the question was how to correct off center holes, Not how to find out if the holes are off center

True, that was the first question which was then followed by: "Or is it possible that the problem is with the barrel but not the action?"

Thus, my response. The OP isn't even sure the holes are off. Doesn't it make sense to find out before welding them up??? It does to me. Before I go off fixing things, I like to determine what actually needs fixing. But hey...

Absolutely correct, Like I said though my answer was for his original question, I missed where he followed up. and yes determine the cause before "Fixing" anything.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
S&K rings and bases will solve the problem nicely.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Oregon45

Or is it possible that the problem is with the barrel but not the action?

It is very possible. I would almost be sure of it. If you have to max out a windage adjustable base you would easily see the screw holes off that far. A little curve in the bore could easily throw your point of impact this far off and would be impossible to spot externally.

I would opt for the Signature Rings until you know for sure. Otherwise if you ever have a barrel fitted properly the screws will be off again.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would opt for the Signature Rings until you know for sure. Otherwise if you ever have a barrel fitted properly the screws will be off again.

This!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,492 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,016
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.