Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Curious if anybody has done it before. Looking at a truck in Vancouver, Wa. I plan on getting it inspected. What's the best way to hold funds until the vehicle is handed off to the barge lines?

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You don't plan to pick it up your own self?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've purchased many vehicles at a distance. But, most all have been consummated by be traveling there and taking possession and paying on-site.

Doing what you're suggesting, would require a good third-party inspection.

I've found over the years doing this many, many times, speaking in-depth, multiple times with the sellers tells me almost all I need to know.

As far as funds, I don't know of something offhand that would work.

Last edited by Tarkio; 05/16/15.

Montana MOFO
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ironbender
You don't plan to pick it up your own self?

I might. If I could get it inspected and dropped off at the barge, it'd save a lot of money'ng around and expenses.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a sports car in Los Angeles, while living in the SF Bay Area. Sent a deposit vis Paypal (it was an Ebay auction). Then after communicating to the buyer, flew down the next Sat morning with a cashiers check and picked it up. Minor hassle in that the name was printed wrong on the check, so we had to find a branch of my bank and get the check re-issued. Lucky we were there early enough that the bank was still open and it was no problem. Drove it home and kept it another 2 years.

I'd do it again, and have actually bid on a couple of old trucks, but have not yet won one of them.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I know two guys who were swindled purchasing non-existent tractors via long distance internet ads. Personally, if I can't put my hand on it before committing the funds, I would be VERY reluctant.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
Personally, if I can't put my hand on it before committing the funds, I would be VERY reluctant.

My feeling as well. I had considered LD purchase of a truck, but could not get past the price of 4-6 yo superduties, plus the cost of flying and driving back up.

I bought new locally.

None of which is Calvin's question, but caveat emptor!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you need help with anything, I'm a couple hours north. Could make a trip down.

As far as funds? Maybe paypal or hold a certified check at a bank until loading papers are produced?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a few hours north as well. If my schedule allows i may be able to make the trip.

Hell if it passes inspection maybe send the MO to me or MM and we can carpool dowm, swap the MO for keys and put it on the barge for you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be happy to.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MA- I don't believe we've met. We should grab a beer sometime!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MM I'm in the Bonney Lake/ Auburn area. Always looking for good people to shoot and hunt with.

Beers are always good as well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought a motorcycle off of Cycle Trader online, sent a small deposit and copy of my airline ticket to the guy after talking with him and deciding there shouldn't be any issues. Carried my pistol in my baggage just in case. He picked me up at the airport, took me to his house and ordered pizza while we were doing the paperwork, etc. turned out well, nice guy and neat experience. Rode it ~1200 miles home between that afternoon and the next day! Didn't want to ride it again for a week after that... whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dont know exactly how the tranaction went down, but my neice bought the car they currently have on the internet. Used car from up north somewhere and had a car hauler deliver it to their house.

She said they saved a bundle.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've done 4. All have been fine if you use some common sense and due diligence.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks Gents. I'm running into fishing season, so I probably should wait till the fall. I was looking at this rig. Rebuilt title. Guy says he owns the shop that fixed it. He sent me pics of the rear end damage that gave it a rebuilt title. Not a screaming deal, but not a bad one.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5026588041.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MadMooner and MallardAddict are so cool to offer that! I hope it all works out.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Guys like Mad Mooner and Mallard Addict are what the Campfire is all about Paul...

I was going to make the offer also, as I was up in Potland on Friday and have to make another trip up in a couple of weeks...

but happily find out that some other campfire guys had beat me to it...

haven't had the pleasure of meeting Mallard Addict, but I am sure he isn't much different that Mad Mooner, which I have met...

another Campfire Guy who you just don't find no better a person than......

There are a lot of great guys on this Campfire... haven't been disappointed at all, and so far I've had the good fortune to meet quite a few of them...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The new Tundras are badazz rides. That 5.7 puts my V10 to shame.

I don't much about rebuilt titles, but obviously resale suffers. If you plan on driving it until the wheels fall off, it looks to be a hell of a deal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the repairs are legit that seems a good price.

If you decide to jump on it, you handle the haggling/terms and just let me know what i can do to help.

If it meets your needs/budget and a deal is made then i will gladly get it to the barge for you. I just can't see a reason for you to burn the time and money on flying down and driving back.

Nothing needed on my end, but if/when me and the wife make it to my your AO we may try to hitch a ride on your boat for a day of fishing. <GRIN>

Also guys i appreciate the kind words but I'm just another outdoor loving dumb redneck. I've always figured that my day will come when I may need a hand from another so call it paying that shcitt forward.

As an aside i don't know about other states but have experience with Rebuilt/Salvage titles here in WA. I rebuilt my first truck (1989 Toyota x-cab) from an insurance total. Here in WA. all rebuilt titles first require a rather comprehensive inspection by Washington State Patrol before title/liscense.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 60 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,770
Posts18,476,810
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.