Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I'm having a problem with a new-to-me rifle. I took it to the range to sight in, laid it on some sandbags, and bore-sighted it. When I began firing, the POI was consistently 24 - 30 inches high at 50 yards. I re-checked the bore-sight, it was correct. Fired a few more, same thing. Picked up the rifle and fired off-hand, same discrepancy between POA and POI.

I've never encountered this before. The crown looks good. I'm using iron sights, so it's not a scope problem. I'm thinking perhaps the barrel is bent. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

WW

A man's capacity is usually relative to his goals.
-Karl Erlich, The Sea Chase
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know if this is your problem or not,but this maybe.All my rifles are free-floated except one newly acquired pre-Garcia Sako that has the riflesmiths name written inside the barrel channel.Before I was going to removed the pressure point at the end of the stock,I decided to shoot it like that to see how it does.I too had a hard time bore-sighting the rifle.I think it may have been the pressure point was causing the point of impact to be off from were I was sighting through the bore.Once I finally got it on paper,the rifle shot really accurate,so I'm going to leave it as is.Hope this helps.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are the Iron sights factory? Or have the been replaced?
Use this formula to check your sights.
I had a rifle that had the wrong front sight installed and it shot something like that.

https://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=13093/GunTechdetail/Sight_Correction_Calculator

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With irons I'd not worry with a bore sighter. Or on a scoped gun for that matter.did you run the rear sight all the way down and were still hitting that high? If so I'd say you have the wrong front front.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If the barrel were bent you'd likely notice it during bore sighting. Never tried that with irons. Just shoot at a big enough target at range close enough to get on paper and go from there.

What type of rifle? AR's have iron sights way over the bore and they complicate zeroing at close range.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
What type of iron sights?

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Does it shoot groups? If so who cares about bore sight vs impacts...

In fact thats pretty much the way things should be answered... don't get hung up in the WHY part, just accept or not, the results and move forward.

You are welcome.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If its a 30-30, your good to go!!!

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Thanks for the input, everyone. Regarding how it groups, I honestly didn't get that far. I lowered the rear sight (non-factory, XS peep) as far as possible and it made very little difference. I would definitely need a much taller front sight to make the irons work.

I might drop a scope on it to evaluate how well it groups. If my suspicion of a bent barrel is correct, I'd expect the bullet strikes to walk a lot when the barrel heats up.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
What kind of rifle is it? If someone here on the fire has the same model, they could measure the height of the front sight and you could compare that to the height of yours.

It could be a problem of sights but I think it would be hard to get that much error at such short range with any reasonable front/rear sight combination.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
It's a sporterized Mauser. One of the reasons I was so surprised by the point of impact is that I have another with the same chambering, same barrel length, and same sight-heights for front and rear. Also, every other bolt rifle I own has the sights lined up with bore. I just don't understand why this one would be off so radically. More than 2 feet at 50 yards is a BIG difference.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2 feet high at 50 with a 19 inch sight radias and you will need a .250" taller front. 24 inch sight radias and you will need a .320" higher front. A XS peep almost always needs the factory front replaced with a higher front. Check with XS or Skinner and look at their file to adjust front post.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I agree with the above. Previous owner put the peep on it but didn't change the front blade.
If it still has the original rear sight, remove the peep and see if it is closer. If so order a new front and you should be GTG

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 338rcm
If its a 30-30, your good to go!!!

Or a .270 win. smile

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I sure appreciate all the input. Does no one else think it strange that a bore sighted rifle would have POI so far above the line of the bore?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I haven't personally seen one that far off, but looking down the bore and eyeballing it on paper is not a very precise method. It's just meant to get you paper.

I'd be more concerned with the accuracy after you adjust the sights. If that's OK I wouldn't be concerned with how far off you were when you bore-sighted.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (1badf350, 219 Wasp, 160user, 22250rem, 264mag, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 5,919 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,822
Posts18,536,888
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.