Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 20 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 19 20
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You run into a lot of different types on bikes. I remember the shock when i pulled in to a gas station and there was a harley right in front of me with two woman. Okay. Until i saw the frame for the license plate, had Dikes on bikes on it. I am sheltered enough not to know dikes road harleys.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Yeah, you see these "gangs" of middle-aged weekend-warrior bikers riding around, stop here and there, in their Harley-Davidson branded leathers.

... America already has more than enough old guys in leather riding around on loud bikes (Doc, you get a pass grin)

This guy in rural Indiana however seemed like the real deal. If he was an outlaw I saw no sign of it. IIRC he was a cabinet maker or some such in the next town over.

[Linked Image]

Suffered for his art riding that thing, that's fer sure grin

Birdwatcher

He'd HAVE to be from the next town over, bein' his apparent age and riding a hardtail like that... OUCH!!!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
So, you have 4 or 5 biker gangs at your eatery--- what could go wrong??

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yeah, you see these "gangs" of middle-aged weekend-warrior bikers riding around, stop here and there, in their Harley-Davidson branded leathers.

One thing that became apparent when I pedaled a bicycle across the country last summer was that America already has more than enough old guys in leather riding around on loud bikes (Doc, you get a pass grin)

This guy in rural Indiana however seemed like the real deal. If he was an outlaw I saw no sign of it. IIRC he was a cabinet maker or some such in the next town over.

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

That is a badazz bike. I would own one but scared the chitt out of myself on my brother's Kawasaki 100cc Green Streak when I was a kid. A screamer bike of the day. Seem to recall it running 10K RPM. Well, anyway, that was that which is unfortunate as my place in Texas is spot on for nice rides. Appears I will be doing them in my 73 Mach 1...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

One thing that became apparent when I pedaled a bicycle across the country last summer was that America already has more than enough old guys in leather riding around on loud bikes (Doc, you get a pass grin)

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

Back in the old days of hardtail frames the serious motorcycle riders all wore kidney belts.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Back in the old days of hardtail frames the serious motorcycle riders all wore kidney belts.

...and still peed blood anyway..... grin

I'm wondering if riding a hardtail could help with kidney stones....

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a board member on our local Harley Owners Group. We are active in our local community doing both charity work and giving donations. I don't ever recall seeing a hunting club represented at any of our charity events.

We dress like we do because the outfits we wear were designed for riders. If you don't believe me have your buddy let you sit on the hood of his truck and run you down the road at 80 mph and then rethink why one would wrap themselves in the better part of a cow to prevent exposure. Yes, I also have cordura and kevlar gear.

I gave up off road riding after 30 years and got a new Harley, joined the local club, and have made a number of good friends. My original plan was to buy a fishing boat - I find Harley riders are a lot better company than fishermen.

Anyone can sit in a stand and shoot a deer over a bait station. How many of you feel comfortable tossing around an 800 pound motorcycle?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You meet the nicest people on a Honda

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Boise
. How many of you feel comfortable tossing around an 800 pound motorcycle?

*raises hand*

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone can sit in a stand and shoot a deer over a bait station. How many of you feel comfortable tossing around an 800 pound motorcycle?

My rule always has to been never ride a bike you can't pick up all by yourself after it falls plumb over, as they all do sooner or later.

See, I had visions of my desiccated carcass being found next to my tipped-over motorcycle at some isolated scenic overlook somewhere in the desert.....

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Not finished with this yet.... grin

Speaking as someone who has done both.....

...there actually ain't that much difference between "tossing around an 800 pound motorcycle" and sitting in a deer stand, except that the deer stand is usually a lot less comfortable....

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My rule has always been,....don't drop the damn thing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What a bunch of sheeple losers.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

...and one more again grin....

How many of you feel comfortable being stuck behind a whole crew of portly, middle-aged guys in their Korean HOG leathers, Chinese "Official Harley Davidson" boots and Dominican Republican "Official Harley Davidson" skull and crossbones bandannas, ALL of whom are "tossing around" their 800 pound motorcycles at a distinctly sedate rate of speed down a twisty backroad, ruining the experience for the rest of us piled up behind them on actual functioning motorcycles?

What if pretty much EVERY decent backroad where you lived was that way anymore?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by TopCat

Any blacks get shot?

That is a blatantly racist thing to ask.

They can't afford those type of bikes.

Please edit your post.

Dave

Can't afford?? Since when did they start paying for stuff? whistle

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some people confuse image with performance.

I understand the appeal of riding a bike, but IMHO an 800# bike is the antithesis of why one rides a bike.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whelennut
"You meet the nicest people on a Honda"

The Hell's Angels say, "I'd rather see my sister in a whorehouse than my brother on a Honda." wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The Hell's Angels say, "I'd rather see my sister in a whorehouse than my brother on a Honda." wink

L.W.

For a short but significant period of time in my sort-of youth I was seeing an attractive blonde who had her own shovelhead that some older guy had given her. Better yet, she would let me ride it while she followed behind on my "ahem" Japanese motorcycle.

When we passed other Harleys going the other way me and them would wave like we was old friends, and none of them waved at her because she was on my bike grin

That was then, and back then it was easy to tell what was American iron coming the other way and what wasn't. Not nearly as easy any more, long since.

Ok, Mikuni carbs, Arai wheels, Showa forks, Nippon Denso electrics, Taiwanese bolts and screw.... Harley has long been outsourcing parts and just ASSEMBLING the bikes here.

But war worse IMHO.... the old generation Harleys like the Shovels were rebuildable seemingly forever, even if like Thoreau's axe you could end up replacing most of the bike bit by bit anyway.

The new Harleys? Sure they'll go 200,000 miles and sure you don't end up wrenching on 'em in a rest area, ever. But when the motor is toast you toss it, just like Japanese bikes.

Only rebuildable bikes in old sense of the word I can think of are the single cylinder thumpers put on dirt and dual-purpose bikes, especially the 650cc Honda offerings. Likewise I believe the same applies to the 500cc Royal Enfields, now made in India on original 1960's Brit tooling.

Birdwatcher

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two and a half years ago I survived a riding mistake without injury, but that told me my riding time was over. Gave away the leathers, sold the Harley and bought a Mustang.
The 'stang has a much better heater. grin
The ride was fun while it lasted, but I got past my comfort level and was pretty sure it was gonna kill me if I didn't give it up.

Page 11 of 20 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,878 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,617
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.