-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
D
My first post here but have "been looking" for quite a while. I owned a Cooper 52 Classic in 25-06 and currently own a Cooper 52 Custom Classic in 30-06. I sold the former because I wasn't crazy with the caliber. I also splurged when I bought the Custom Classic with the Swarovski Z6.

I looked at virtually every custom and semi-custom rifle out there and for the price, the Cooper IMO is the finest rifle you can buy. Target rifle accuracy with old school good looks. My 30-06 shoots like a laser beam. They're fairly heavy, manly rifles with a medium weight barrel. Every year I browse other brands and have been tempted to get a Kimber Montana. But I know a Cooper will shoot straight out of the box and now that I'm used to their feel, I think I'll stick with them. I'd like to get an Excalibur next, most likely in 30-06 as well.

I'll post my sighting in targets for you separately.

[img:center]http://imgur.com/JoccN7y[/img]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Duke76, welcome to the Campfire.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
D
D
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's a 3 shot group at a lasered 104 yards. I never had to move the windage after installing the Talley mounts. They perfectly lined up horizontally. I only had to adjust elevation.

D
D
one more pic for good measure (I really like Cooper rifles if you can't tell!) Served me well on a Texas deer hunt. Killed one decent 8 point and two does.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That is a beauty - nice shooting.

The only problem I have with Coopers is that they are incredibly boring - mount the scope, adjust it to desired point of impact and shoot. I like to have rifles with challenges so in addition to my Coopers I am constantly buying some other brand so that I have something to tinker with trying to make it shoot like Coopers do out the box.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I'm sure I'll be the odd one out when it comes to Coopers. I had a Model 52 in .30-06 and it shot just ok. I got in touch with them, shipped it back, and they re-barreled it. The new barrel shot just like you would expect them to, and pretty much like the others have posted here. So, great customer service for me. I thought the rifle was a bit heavy but I carried it around for two seasons chasing elk here in MT. I shot a couple of cows with it and it did just fine, but then again, the distances weren't too difficult. My biggest complaint was the safety. It was pretty easy to move it to the fire position. In fact, I twice found that the safety had moved off safe while hiking around the mountains. In 30+ years of hunting, I have never had a safety do that on any of my rifles. I was more than happy to sell the rifle shortly after that. I'm not disparaging the folks that are happy with them; I just wanted to you to let you know about the one issue that I found. It was a deal-breaker for me.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cooper is a well made and well fitted rifle. I have had two of them and liked them both but not for the money they cost. Accuracy was good but not exceptional. Their included targets are shot at either 40 or 60 yards, not 100. There are far more shots taken than just the three they send to you.

As some have said, the rifles are fairly heavy.

The one thing I have not seen mentioned, and maybe it was just me, was the cheesy, cheap magazines. You would think for a rifle like Cooper is supposed to be, they would either have a floor plate or a blind magazine.

Last edited by boliep; 05/19/15.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

D
D
Originally Posted by boliep
Cooper is a well made and well fitted rifle. I have had two of them and liked them both but not for the money they cost. Accuracy was good but not exceptional. Their included targets are shot at either 40 or 60 yards, not 100. There are far more shots taken than just the three they send to you.

As some have said, the rifles are fairly heavy.

The one thing I have not seen mentioned, and maybe it was just me, was the cheesy, cheap magazines. You would think for a rifle like Cooper is supposed to be, they would either have a floor plate or a blind magazine.

The mags on mine have been all steel, heavy and rugged, and have never malfunctioned. They do have a bit of a custom, hand made feel to them though so I can see why you might say that. I've seen several newer rifles with all plastic mags and they sure seem cheap looking to me. I'm guessing Cooper considers a detachable mag as an upgrade and makes unloading easier. I can see though that if you drop one down a hillside you now have a single shot.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I can only comment on my Coopers accuracy. It's a Model 21 Montana varmiter in .221FB, and while not for deer, maybe it'll help you grasp a coopers potential for accuracy. 5 shots each @ 100
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by robertham1; 05/20/15.
H
Heliman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Today, I talked to the nice lady at Cooper. I asked her about pricing on the configuration I want and the process for ordering. She said that the proof targets included with the rifles are from 50 yds. She also went on to say the accuracy is guaranteed. Anyway, tomorrow I am biting the bullet and contacting an authorized dealer and proceeding with my order. It will be:

Model 54 Excalibur
Stainless receiver
Stainless fluted barrel
Tan with black highlights composite Classic stock
7mm-08 Rem chambering
Talley bases

Dave

One shot, one kill........
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One suggestion when ordering; have cooper supply and fit a 2nd magazine. When hunting, it's nice to have one in the gun and one in your pocket for a quick reload. They only hold three rounds. Plus, if you were to lose one, you won't be out of business.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Hellman

i think that's a super cooper recipe.

+1 on lastround's suggestion on an extra magazine.

laogai

Yesu ai zhongguo
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by drakecasey
I'm sure I'll be the odd one out when it comes to Coopers. I had a Model 52 in .30-06 and it shot just ok. I got in touch with them, shipped it back, and they re-barreled it. The new barrel shot just like you would expect them to, and pretty much like the others have posted here. So, great customer service for me. I thought the rifle was a bit heavy but I carried it around for two seasons chasing elk here in MT. I shot a couple of cows with it and it did just fine, but then again, the distances weren't too difficult. My biggest complaint was the safety. It was pretty easy to move it to the fire position. In fact, I twice found that the safety had moved off safe while hiking around the mountains. In 30+ years of hunting, I have never had a safety do that on any of my rifles. I was more than happy to sell the rifle shortly after that. I'm not disparaging the folks that are happy with them; I just wanted to you to let you know about the one issue that I found. It was a deal-breaker for me.

You are not the lone ranger in this regard...

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I had a 54 wood stocked and sold it. I did not like the safety or the hard bolt lift. Felt recoil was far to hard for a 280 remington.Very pretty rifle just not my thing. It did not shoot very well either.ED

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sample of one, a Jackson game in .260. 3 different loads have easily met the .5 inch 3 shot group at 100 yard guarantee. Two of the loads have consistently done .5 MOA at 300 yards and when I am on my A game at 400 yards. I have had no issues cycling the bolt from the shoulder, weight in the action you are looking at is fine weight for walking rifle (i'm 5'10" 180 pounds).

I would like to buy a Jackson Hunter rifle in .260 os I have a wet weather cooper rifle.

Best of luck. GRF

Geedubya is a man with extensive experience buying and selling Cooper rifles, hopefully he will chime in.

H
Heliman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
If my Classic Custom 7mm-08 is everything I hoped it would be I intend on ordering a synthetic stocked Excalibur with stainless barrel and action in 300 H&H caliber. I like 300 caliber and up in Classic chamberings. Current elk guns are Ruger 1S 300 H&H, Ruger K1A 35 Whelen, and Winchester 71 in .348 Win. I also occasionally hunt elk with a Ruger 1S 7mm Rem Mag.

Dave

One shot, one kill........
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I would never even consider owning a Cooper simply because of Dan Cooper and his monetary support of Obama's presidential campaign.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
He no longer owns the company

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by whitebread
I would never even consider owning a Cooper simply because of Dan Cooper and his monetary support of Obama's presidential campaign.

You do know that Dan Cooper is no longer a part of Cooper rifles and hasn't been for many years, right? The company is owned by Wilson.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Originally Posted by whitebread

You do know that Dan Cooper is no longer a part of Cooper rifles and hasn't been for many years, right? The company is owned by Wilson.

Correct. He still created the company and it still bears his name.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

313 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 24 invisible), 1,918 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,842
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.