Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks. I'll try to look at different 15's but am not sure how many flavors I'll be able to examine. Quick detach plates are going to happen for sure.

I usually pan horizontally when glassing too.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RickBin
I do.

Yes!

Swarovski, Zeiss, Vortex, and Minox to name a few.

There are a lot of tripods out there. I examined a dozen, easy. The Swarovski Traveler with four-piece legs blew me away. To me it is head and shoulders ahead of the pack for Big Eyes use that includes packing.

Thanks to all, and thanks, Rick.

I'm on board with buying some 15X's now. Just need to figure out which ones.

I know a lot about tripods/quick detach plates. I was just hoping someone had a suggestion about something cheaper than the Gitzo carbon fiber tripod and Arca Swiss bullhead I was already contemplating. eek

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the pic, SLM. No one answered the question about if the Swaro 15's had an integral female receiver (for a plate or ball head), but it must judging from your photo.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
I can't imagine hunting in open country without 15s. And you forgot to mention the budget, to be specific -- can you afford the Swaros or not? Pretty much the only question. I could not, so I got the amazing Minox special from Cameraland. Outstanding. I use a Slik tripod (carbon) and a manfrotto head, no pistol. For the buck I think the Minox can't be touched. My friends report that the Kaibabs are good, but not Swaros.

I can come up with the scratch for a pair of Swaros if they're worth it (and they seem almost universally recommended). I used Swaro 8x42's SLC's last year and they're fine glass.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks again, Greg.

Btw, I'm fishing in a couple of weeks with Tx270. He's been trying to get me out to AZ. Hope to see you out there one day.

Thanks again to all!

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
I can't imagine hunting in open country without 15s. And you forgot to mention the budget, to be specific -- can you afford the Swaros or not? Pretty much the only question. I could not, so I got the amazing Minox special from Cameraland. Outstanding. I use a Slik tripod (carbon) and a manfrotto head, no pistol. For the buck I think the Minox can't be touched. My friends report that the Kaibabs are good, but not Swaros.

HUH?

Nothing compares to the Swaros.

Gitzo tripod is the way to go.

http://www.gitzo.us/product/0/GT1542/_/Mountaineer_Tripod_Series_1_Carbon_4_sections

Unless you are tall then you will have to spend more money to stand up and glass- I glass standing a LOT. I also glass sitting a LOT. I glass a LOT; hundreds and hundreds of hours a year. It pays to have good stuff for long term glassing-

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Last year Greg was telling me how great the 15's were. I was hesitant to drop over $2000 on Swaro's so I took his advice and got the Minox's and a tripod. Took them on my dad's elk hunt in Nevada. LOVED THEM. Absolute game changer. I barely even touched my spotting scope.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not in agreement at all that Swaro is the way to go if you want the best. However, Swaro and Leica are the only 'Tier 1' 15x bino. All others are 'Tier 2' or less. Buy the best you can afford cuz any 15x is better than none.

I use the Leica Geovid 15 x 56 HD. Used to use Leica Ultravid, Swaro, and Doctor. I've whacked quite a few big animals that I first spotted at looooong distances using 15's from a tripod or the top of the window glass when glassing from the truck. They do indeed need to be rested on something.

I use the Leica tripod mount that is bulky but extremely stable and lightweight. It has a large rubber strap that wraps over the top of the bino.........similar to the expensive Zeiss one. I've tried several others.

Also use the large TOP NOTCH Outdoorsmans tripod (Phoenix) that is extremely expensive but tight and stable and ultra lightweight. Can either stand or sit. Just gotta hold it steady in the wind. Exceptional tripods!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SBH; 05/20/15.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I don't understand why anyone would intentionally set out to use the Leicas over the Swarovskis; The Swarovskis were purpose-built to be used with a tripod and come with a post to attach their adapter to that works beautifully. The Leica has some after-thought cradle and strap setup that defies logic. Both are good glass but the Swaro is so much easier to set up and use.

I have owned and used Zeiss 15x60s, Steiners, Celestrons, Fujinon 16x70 (actually a very nice binocular but big) and a couple of different Mil-surp porro prism glasses.

The best glass I have ever looked through is the Nikon Super Es. Porro prisms seem to have better depth perception than any roof prism I have seen.

For whatever reason we have shunned the porros in favor of the sexy roof prisms which are inherently inferior to start with. They have continually improved and created new lens, prisms and coating just to catch up with the Porros.

I can't imagine how good the Zeiss 15x60s would be with that kind of technology stuffed into them!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dennis,

I will give you the short answer...because for some people the swaros don't agree as well as other brands.

Try them all and see what works best.

YMMV

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Dont overlook the Leica, especially the Duovids. Top tier 10 and 15x glass all in one. I have had mine for close to a decade and love them!

I use a Velbon Chaser EFL4a tripod. It is old, and discontinued but I love it and have used it with a Jim White head for a long time.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Good luck this season firstcoues!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

The best glass I have ever looked through is the Nikon Super Es. Porro prisms seem to have better depth perception than any roof prism I have seen.

For whatever reason we have shunned the porros in favor of the sexy roof prisms which are inherently inferior to start with. They have continually improved and created new lens, prisms and coating just to catch up with the Porros.

I can't imagine how good the Zeiss 15x60s would be with that kind of technology stuffed into them!

I think this is absolutely true.

Some time spent with a Swaro Habicht poro prism will have us wondering why we spent over twice as much for a high end roof prism.

The 15x56 Swaro is a great glass though.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just got to spend about 15 minutes comparing the new Cabelas Euro HD (rebadged Meopta) 15x56 with a Swaro 15x. I literally could not tell a difference at all. The Meopta seemed way heavier but the view through both using a tripod was hard to distinguish and differences.

Might be a good option for those not wanting to spend the money on Swaro's.

Cabela's Euro HD

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I don't understand why anyone would intentionally set out to use the Leicas over the Swarovskis; The Swarovskis were purpose-built to be used with a tripod and come with a post to attach their adapter to that works beautifully. The Leica has some after-thought cradle and strap setup that defies logic. Both are good glass but the Swaro is so much easier to set up and use.

Well.......last time I checked the Zeiss tripod adapter is very similar to the Leica one with the strap setup. What does that tell you?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Thanks for the pic, SLM. No one answered the question about if the Swaro 15's had an integral female receiver (for a plate or ball head), but it must judging from your photo.

They do in front of the hinge. If you look at the Outdoorsmans Bino adapter it looks very similar to that setup.

I tried a pair of the 15x56 SLC's (not the current HD version the ones prior to that)and they wouldn't fit my face. They wouldn't close enough for me or my wife, if that make sense. It is a well know problem with that bino. The glass was excellent though. I haven't handled the new HD's to see if they corrected that.

So I ended up with a pair of Vortex Kaibab HD's. The glass is excellent. The ergo's are only ok. They have giant eye cups on them that make it hard to get your eyes lined up right. But since the Swaros wouldn't work and the price was right they work.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Glassed up this buck in SW Wyoming 2 days in a row from faarrrr away. He was hard to spot in the tall sagebrush. He's over 30" outside. Was using the original (came out in about 2000) Swaro 15's with the aformentioned Swaro tripod adapter. This bino did not have Swarovision or the new lens coatings for easy cleaning or the 'HD' status. But this bino was a dang nice upgrade from the 15x Doctor's that were popular at that time.

[Linked Image]

Here's a NW Colorado bull that I spotted and watched quite a bit from a long distance over several days using the Leica Geovids and Outdoorsmans Tripod I mentioned above.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have the 15 x 60 Doctors Nobilems, which are a huge value. There was an in-depth review a few years back that had them barely nudged out by the Zeiss 15 x 60 B/GAT and also had them ahead of the Swaro 15 x 60s. I compared my Doctors to a 15 x 63 Optolyth and a 15 x 56 Minox (both of which I owned and both having fluorite lenses) and the Doctor was the superior glass. (I think the Doctor is also fluorite). If you want to go Cadillac, there is the 32 x 80 Kowas with fluorite lenses, which are simply awesome.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
B & C NV pronghorn first spotted with my Leica Geovid.

[Linked Image]

180" NV muley first spotted with my Geovid.

[Linked Image]

The aforementioned Kowa Highlander Prominars 32x.......REAL Big Eyes!

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Could have spotted those above critters with a tube of toilet paper. Just saying....grin

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1badf350, 1lessdog, 22250rem, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,247
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.