Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Hoping all you in Texas and your families make out fine through the recent events.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too bad a drought has to end with floods, but such seems to be the way with nature. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Stevie Ray Vaughn.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
I can't get my head wrapped around a 17 foot rise in 30 minutes and a 33 foot rise in a few hours.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks Scott, things are getting back to normal and after 8 years of drought, it's a little weird. Fishing has sucked all spring because of the heavy rains but the woodland game is really doing well. I saw a bunch of fawns, baby turkeys and two big coveys of quail yesterday, one of which was at least 25 birds. That's more quail then I've seen in East Texas in the past twenty years.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I can't get my head wrapped around a 17 foot rise in 30 minutes and a 33 foot rise in a few hours.

Ive seen it happen on a lesser scale on our local Leon Creek, which has killed folks.

Hadn't rained where I was walking the dogs, but did overnight in the north of town. Walking along on dry land and suddenly its like scenes from the movie Titanic, the edge of the moving water creeping up across the ground while you watch. Time to head for higher ground like right now.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That had to be an amazing rise.

Still 8 missing with one confirmed dead so far.

For 400 houses washed away, 9 dead really is not that bad, considering it was all middle of the night.

Weather services did an outstanding job of predicting this for days, just not the exact amount, location and time, but you would think with all the warnings and watches out....

Prayres for the families!

And round I dunno which now, coming today supposedly.

RE drought ending with floods, there is almost no other way. Simple 1-2 inch rains will not raise a lake 60 feet. Its pretty much a given that a drought will end with floods and only that way.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I saw a bunch of fawns, baby turkeys and two big coveys of quail yesterday, one of which was at least 25 birds. That's more quail then I've seen in East Texas in the past twenty years.

Quail and turkeys all over here too, I put up a cover of quail this weekend. Can't remember the last time this happened.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For anyone that hasn't seen a "wall of water" come down a river, it would be worth the effort to do so. Safely of course.

Best example I saw was in '97 on the Frio River. We got the news that it was on a rise due to severe rain upstream, and was headed down.

I knew a place where there was a pretty high bridge and went there to await the wall of water they had talked about. I wasn't alone. There were a couple hundred folks there at the bridge.

I took a position on the bridge and we all waited, and watched upstream...

You could hear the water before it got there. It wasn't a loud roar, but you could hear it coming in the dry riverbed.

There was a bend in the river upstream a bit more than a quarter mile from the bridge, and that was where the wall of water emerged.

It was more like a 4-5ft high wave of mud, trees, and debris as it rolled downstream. The closer it got, the louder it became. Not deafening, but it was there.

The position on the bridge was perfect for viewing the event. It was worth the effort.

The initial wave carried lots of mud, trash and debris on it's wake. Ice chests, plastic jugs, trash, lots of wood from houses in the path upstream... Nasty, rolling, blackish brown water.

After the initial wave, the river began the rise. It didn't take long... The river was coming up very fast, and the debris was still in the river, a constant supply of it. Bigger trees and bigger trash and lumber rode the rise.

After about 30 minutes, the rise started to slow a bit, but it was still rising steadily. The mental picture you had of the river and banks was now nothing like before the rising water.

I don't know how high the water rose there, because myself and a few others got in our trucks to head down to the next bridge that was few miles downstream, so that we could watch the whole thing over again...

It had lost none of the power as we watched it a second time.

It made an impression.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
These things are rough enough that even a PFD may not save you.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If that was at the 1050 Bridge at Garner, my buddy's house is right in that bend you mention. It's pretty easy to see how the Frio Canyon was formed when you see that.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Garner was where the flood hit first. Took out several campgrounds and more houses downstream.

I watched the spectacle downstream from Uvalde.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got an itch to drive out to Medina Lake and check it out after being a puddle for the last 4 years or so. If my math is correct it rose around 40 feet in the last week. Still way low but maybe now it resembles a reservoir.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Pecos at US 90 last fall. One of them all of a sudden things. A few inches upstream.

[Linked Image]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Was thinking about you yesterday Pat. I checked the radar weather pic and it looked like it was right on top of you....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Lots of lakes have cameras.See if I can get a link to the web site so you can access it.http://www.lakelevels.info/?StateID=TX

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Joe McComb lost his daughter in law and grand children in wimberly. pretty sad, good family done lots of work for Joe over the yrs.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Joe McComb lost his daughter in law and grand children in wimberly. pretty sad, good family done lots of work for Joe over the yrs.

Very sad situation.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
Was thinking about you yesterday Pat. I checked the radar weather pic and it looked like it was right on top of you....

No worries here bro, it's swamp and river bottoms here...we just get wetter. It's the guys out west that get rain flooding. We don't worry about fresh water coming down, just salt water coming up. smile

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 58 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,332
Posts18,487,602
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.