Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9940244 05/26/15
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Me and a friend go turkey hunting in Western Md.I came across a diamond back a few years back.My friend saw a copperhead last year.We are thinking we should be wearing some kind of snake proof gear.For you guys who have experience with that sort of stuff,what would you recommend?We want good stuff but dont want to waste our money trying to figure out what works for us.Lots of walking,some through wet areas...so,waterproof snake proof boots?Gaiters? We dont have that many biters,but we want one more thing not to have to worry about.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
6" stove pipe

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by remrug77
Me and a friend go turkey hunting in Western Md.I came across a diamond back a few years back.My friend saw a copperhead last year.We are thinking we should be wearing some kind of snake proof gear.For you guys who have experience with that sort of stuff,what would you recommend?We want good stuff but dont want to waste our money trying to figure out what works for us.Lots of walking,some through wet areas...so,waterproof snake proof boots?Gaiters? We dont have that many biters,but we want one more thing not to have to worry about.

My knee-high ones were sold by Cabela's a decade ago.

Not sure they will ever be needed....but personal mental comfort sure makes the trips more enjoyable.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by eh76
6" stove pipe

In Texas, 16 inch.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by eh76
6" stove pipe

In Texas, 16 inch.

referring to diameter not length wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son and I just bought Rocky Snake boots this year. He got slip ons, I got laceups. Very comfortable..

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yeah, tff. Im not talking fist.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sorry eh, we got big fuggIn snakes. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wear leather boots and get some chaps. That way you can use the chaps for briars and stuff too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
never worried about it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
justin ropers

[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
justin ropers

[Linked Image]

Been there, done that back when I lived in FL. Our snakes here in OR are on the East side of the Cascades and even then they would not make a snack for your Texas snakes.

Somewhere in my stuff I has a mason jar about a third of the way full of rattles. Never used anything but a short stick and a boot to hold one down and my knife to remove it's head.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Texas earthworms are a fact of life in South Texas and usually do not cause problems unless stepped on inadvertently, which is why I wear snake boots 100% of the time. Justin snake boots are most comfortable to me, although they come with a smooth sole which should be replaced with a Vibram sole. Chippewa is popular also. Justin is better for a high instep, Chippewa is better for flatter feet.

Pretty typical sighting, they are heading for cover if given a chance.

[Linked Image]

Very typical and easy to miss seeing them until things are too close:

[Linked Image]

Close up of a good size rattle.

[Linked Image]

Unfortunately, these two were in a place with people traffic and one was aggressive, so had to deal with them. From La Salle County.

[Linked Image]

Another that was hanging out by a heavily used gate, so unfortunately had to be dealt with. I really do not like killing them.

Close up of a head. Something about the eyes really gives me a chill.

[Linked Image]

Kind of hard to be bitten by one of these, but the odds are poor if so. Almost stepped on this little fella last year doing a bird survey. Took a pic before he went and hid and I stepped around and went on my way. Sure made me think twice about sitting down for a water break.

[Linked Image]

Just make sure to shake the boots out before putting them on. This one came up a drain while brushing my teeth early one morning before going out hunting.

[img]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/jeffbird2/MBRSept262009009.jpg[/img]

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
If you are going to make snake-boots, I'd suggest starting with a 30' Anaconda for leather... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
we have some big, as in 8Ft+ Eastern Diamond Backs here in North Florida. Big Moccasins as well.
Couple of years back, while walking across a partially flooded clear cut in the Osceola NF, a large cottonmouth struck my foot. Felt like a hammer blow. Before he could move away, or strike again, I nailed him with my walking stick, holding him while I cut his head off.
I was wearing high top, zip side, Rocky waterproof snake boots. Worth their weight in gold that day.

Sam......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought several pairs last year trying to find the perfect ones. The ones I ended up with were the Cabelas brand lace up model. They are extremely light, waterproof (unlike many others that make that claim) and very comfortable. They are just as comfortable as my tennis shoes - I love them and have thought about buying a second pair in case they stop making them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have two pair but prefer my pull on rubber LaCross boots which go to the knee. The Redhead leather zip up boots are not as tall. I called Bass Pro after I got them and asked a phone lady if they had ever tested them, she said "we have not gotten a single complaint about them" I said that could be interpreted in two ways.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wore Rocky's for years and they gave good service. The current ones are made in China, and have a problem with the soles coming apart. I wear LaCrosse boots now with the zipper up the side. Much more comfortable and waterproof so far. 3rd season with them and they are holding up well.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
i guess the lacross toes are protected but they sure don't feel as stiff as the sides!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by remrug77

I wear Chippewa snake boots that are leather lined, uninsulated and not water proof. To me, waterproof snake boots are hot as hell and miserable. IT is very warm here during the early deer season, especially in the afternoons. YMMV, because we are all different and conditions are different. Try a pair of the waterproof ones on in the store and if your feet start sweating immediately, you will know what you are in for.

If you do a lot of walking, I would look long and hard at wearing gaiters and regular hunting boots.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,050
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.