Print Thread
Hop To
F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I have a 1898 30-40 krag bolt action rifle that I recently started shooting again. Last time I shot it was about three years ago when I took it with me as a back up on an elk hunt.I shot about twenty hand loads through it about a month ago, I mounted a new scope on it this past week and went to shoot it today, the first round was fine, after shooting it twice more I noticed that those two rounds had nearly split above the pressure ring, I stopped shooting and went home. I checked the rounds that I had fired a month ago and five out twenty had signs of head separation, those rounds were Remington once fired brass, the rounds I fired today were loaded with once fired factory Winchester brass. I talked to two gun smiths, one told me he would have to check it out with a head space gauge and see how bad it is, the other gunsmith told me I can fix the problem by not full length resizing, however all the brass that I have on hand has been fired at least once and full length sized so it would be useless to shoot it because it would separate like the rest. Any advice or help is appreciated

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yep that will do it. Several things about brass, it seems to harden with age, and over sizing will cause head separation. When brass gets to where yours is its best to pitch it.

I've been so overwhelmed with fake news that I'm now nuts. Let's go Brandon
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Can fix a head space problem by watching how much you size it. I have a 30-06 that has a really long chamber. I could take the barrel off and fix it but it shoots really well. I prepped 100 new case like i would for a AI. Seat bullets into the lands and fire form. Set the die up to size the neck to the shoulder lock it down and mark that die set for that rifle. Too long of a head space can be fixed with the die. Too short you need to lathe the shell holder.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Do exactly what Gemby said and you'll be good to go. powdr

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
You guys realize that a 30-40 Krag is a rimmed cartridge and head spaces off the rim. He needs to verify how much unsupported case he has before manipulating dies to "Fix" the issue which i do not condone.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What we don't know is how many shots/years ago this rifle started exhibiting headspace issues. If the OP isn't the long term owner and has only fired it sporadically over the last couple years, we don't know if the condition came on slowly or all at once. If it came on all at once, it would be cause for alarm as the steel in the Krag bolt and receiver is very low carbon stuff and only case hardened for wear protection. As such, a sudden display of excess headspace could indicate a cracked bolt lug (they only have one, plus a safety lug). Absent that (look closely at it), and headspace is a little on the long side, I would start with virgin brass and follow gemby's advice and set it up so as to headspace off the shoulder and let the rim fall where it may, back against the bolt face preferrably.

That's not the perfect answer as brass life will still suffer a bit, but is a lot safer. At any rate, definitely have the headspace checked. It could be nothing more than somebody having swapped a different bolt into it somewhere along the line.

Another potential source of problems with the Krag is when people lap the lug/seat so as to bring the safety lug to bear against steel to give a two-lug locking system. That trick invariably wears through the skin of surface hardness of both the locking lug and seat, exposing the soft steel underneath which in turn greatly speeds up lug set-back/cracking.

We also don't know how hot the handloads are. Krags are rated at 40,000# and a diet of stuff even a little hotter than that will cause lug set back/cracking or case stretching/seperations at least. The original gov't load was a 220 grain bullet at 2000fps. When they upped it to 2200fps around the turn of the last century they started getting complaints from the field of those very things happening, so they dropped it back to 2000 fps and kept it there. The quest for higher velocity resulted in a new design rifle with hotter ammo- the 1903 Springfield. Remember these wonderful rifles are all 112 to 123 years old now. They will keep going another hundred years if we mind what we shove up the spouts in them.

Krags are surprisingly robust, given their limitations. Even in the event of lug failure, there isn't much chance of the bolt blowing back out of the receiver. Michael Petrov once conducted a destruction test of a Krag using cartridges loaded with insane amounts of Bullseye powder, and got up to wild pressure levels before the action shattered and bolt went flying- all done with the locking lug ground off entirely, relying solely upon the safety lug for lockup.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 05/27/15.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Start with new brass. Neck up to .338 cal. Full length size to create a false shoulder to control headspace. (My guess is that you'll be 1/8 to 1/4 turn from the die touching the shell holder) Fireform.

F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
What we don't know is how many shots/years ago this rifle started exhibiting headspace issues. If the OP isn't the long term owner and has only fired it sporadically over the last couple years, we don't know if the condition came on slowly or all at once. If it came on all at once, it would be cause for alarm as the steel in the Krag bolt and receiver is very low carbon stuff and only case hardened for wear protection. As such, a sudden display of excess headspace could indicate a cracked bolt lug (they only have one, plus a safety lug). Absent that (look closely at it), and headspace is a little on the long side, I would start with virgin brass and follow gemby's advice and set it up so as to headspace off the shoulder and let the rim fall where it may, back against the bolt face preferrably.

That's not the perfect answer as brass life will still suffer a bit, but is a lot safer. At any rate, definitely have the headspace checked. It could be nothing more than somebody having swapped a different bolt into it somewhere along the line.

Another potential source of problems with the Krag is when people lap the lug/seat so as to bring the safety lug to bear against steel to give a two-lug locking system. That trick invariably wears through the skin of surface hardness of both the locking lug and seat, exposing the soft steel underneath which in turn greatly speeds up lug set-back/cracking.

We also don't know how hot the handloads are. Krags are rated at 40,000# and a diet of stuff even a little hotter than that will cause lug set back/cracking or case stretching/seperations at least. The original gov't load was a 220 grain bullet at 2000fps. When they upped it to 2200fps around the turn of the last century they started getting complaints from the field of those very things happening, so they dropped it back to 2000 fps and kept it there. The quest for higher velocity resulted in a new design rifle with hotter ammo- the 1903 Springfield. Remember these wonderful rifles are all 112 to 123 years old now. They will keep going another hundred years if we mind what we shove up the spouts in them.

Krags are surprisingly robust, given their limitations. Even in the event of lug failure, there isn't much chance of the bolt blowing back out of the receiver. Michael Petrov once conducted a destruction test of a Krag using cartridges loaded with insane amounts of Bullseye powder, and got up to wild pressure levels before the action shattered and bolt went flying- all done with the locking lug ground off entirely, relying solely upon the safety lug for lockup.

The rifle was given to my father by the wife of a family friend just after he passed away, this was probably forty years ago. My father let me use it to go deer hunting, I bought two boxes of Remington pointed 180 gr bullets at that time, I shot up those two boxes and have reloaded and shot that brass once or twice.The head space issue came on all at once and I believe the brass that I was using was partially sized. I had the bolt checked for cracks a few years back by a gunsmith. The bore is in good shape, plenty of rifling left and no signs of pitting.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 57 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,632
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.