-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Was out with the PSE today and shot some vid to critique my form (as if I know what I'm looking for!) blush

Anyway, decided to set up the camera down range and catch some action. This is at 50 yds and I noticed two interesting things...

First, the noise of the arrow as it is coming in. Definitely different than from behind the bow. Also, I don't know what the average effective max range would be before an animal would be spooked by the sound. I'm sure it varies and depends on the situation.

Second, how hard that arrow is hitting at 50 yds. When shooting I'm concentrating on follow through and dont really notice any movement of the target but I was surprised at the 'punch' that arrow was delivering at that range (the target probably weighs, idk, 30 lbs?). I can only imagine how she'll do with some Slick Tricks affixed to the end!

So far I am really enjoying this bow. Very smooth, enough speed and pretty quiet and shock free (again, the impressions of a newbie). Hopefully, I'll get to draw blood with it this fall...

Last edited by MojoHand; 05/31/15. Reason: Forgot the vid, duh!

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's pretty cool, thanks for posting.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Mojo,

What vanes to you have on your arrows? I've used NAP Quick-spins and especially the Twisters that sound like that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blazers have a distinct "buzz" sound when cutting through the air. I haven't had a deer react to that sound but I haven't shot any deer beyond 25 yards.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Think thats loud, put some feathers on there!

Watch how deer duck when a blue jay or such comes flying in....

We didn't have cameras in the day but would sit behind a big tree and do the same tests to see how much noise things made, feathers/vanes, short long etc...

Came to teh conclusion from that and from lots of shooting deer/at deer, over a number of years that 15 yards and in was safe. Beyond that you might get by most of the time but not all the time... and so my max was set....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm running 4" feathers on those shafts. When I first shot it at 40 yds I was surprised at how 'long' it took to get to the target (been shooting rifles too long!) whistle and by how noisy the feathers were.

You can't really hear the arrows in the vid until they're close but I suspect deer have a little better hearing than my camera! (Grin)

I'm gonna continue to practice out to 50 but figure 30 might be the practical hunting limit.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hitting the South Hills this elk season?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not for elk, buddy....unfortunately.

But unless I draw for rifle I'm guaranteed a bow tag in the south hills and an antelope tag to the southwest by Three Creek/Roseworth area.

Here's hoping I can get something this year... wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck! I love that part of the state. Even more when I draw two limited entry tags like that I did last year. laugh

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
That's pretty cool.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 3,410 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,374
Posts18,469,379
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.