Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
FG- Those are pretty nice. I've seen those on here before, but never in person.

BC- Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Dwayne. I want no part of an RV as I already have too many vehicles to maintain.

In fact, just this week, I was out in the driveway lamenting, quite vocally and with great enthusiasm, the fact that all three of my vehicles were currently in various states of disrepair.

The fact I couldn't get a brake bolt loose on the truck, despite judicious applications of heat and penetrating oil, added quite a bit to my discontent.

My wife, who is half hispanic, came out to see what all the ruckus was about and started crackin' up laffin'. She went back inside with a parting shot that sounded a lot like "Who's the mexican now!!!"

I'm lucky the wrench missed the window by the door. grin

Anyway, I would be looking at a slide in camper. Most of the systems seem pretty straight forward and a little Honda genny with a electric heater would save any winter trip that went awry.

No RV's for me and wanting to pull a boat means no trailers as well.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
My wedge is comfy and cozy enough for me!

[Linked Image]

You, my man, have style!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Get the camper. You can find decent ones for $2K with jacks installed. They're nice to have back there on the bed when you want to stop for lunch or the night while traveling...nothing to set up.

I recently got an older basic 8' one with refrigerator and hydraulic jacks for $600.00 for overnight hunts. I hook up my UTV trailer and haul off to the hunting/fishing spot. wink

You know, I'm thinking for 2grr, I can get a tent and a decent "vintage" camper smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Get the camper. You can find decent ones for $2K with jacks installed. They're nice to have back there on the bed when you want to stop for lunch or the night while traveling...nothing to set up.

I recently got an older basic 8' one with refrigerator and hydraulic jacks for $600.00 for overnight hunts. I hook up my UTV trailer and haul off to the hunting/fishing spot. wink

You know, I'm thinking for 2grr, I can get a tent and a decent "vintage" camper smile

Double the new toys...I like the way you think! grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You don't need a wall tent - look at the kodak canvass tents (google) easy to erect - four season comfort and well priced

[Linked Image]

This where I come from - http://youtu.be/KJr9jvsXFN4
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Or ...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A little off topic, but one thing that's important is being able to hang things up and dry out a bit if you get rained on. I ended up adding a propane heater to my 24' trailer so I can run heat while I'm out hunting and have a warm cave when I get back w/o having to run a generator to power a furnace.

Fair weather camping is fine for any solution, but rain or snow add a whole dimension to being comfortable.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The idea of a "mobile" camp sounds nice, but three people in a truck bed camper doesn't. A camp trailer would be nice for traveling the highway and staying in a groomed park as pictured earlier in this thread, but I'll take a wall tent any day of the week for hunting, especially if any weather is involved.

I've been in camp with guys with nice trailers and as soon as the weather gets chitty, they get all weird about getting their carpet/linoleum dirty and it's amazing how people migrate to the wall tent(s) to socialize or dry gear out.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Spent 5 days camping out of the last 10 days, 2 trips, am tired of packing and unpacking so much I dread going, just got back from a boat trip to night.

Thinking a Motor Home that I can leave packed and pull boat and then camp out of the boat, if I want to using the MH to sleep in on wet days camping on nice ones, and just buy groceries and go.

Wall tents up here don't cut it unless its screened, mosquito's will eat you!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Thinking about one or the other.

Hunting / fish camp, family (there's three of us) summer fun.

I hunt out of a pard's wall tent now. It's great, but a bit of a pain to set up. Dirt, or dirty floor, burn a lot of wood to keep warm.

Of course with the camper, it's kinda stuck on the truck while hunting. Often we camp in one area and hunt miles away. It would be nice to have the camp ready to go whenever you stop though.

I'd be looking to spend ~2k on either and very much realize the camper that would buy. It just needs to be functional and I'm fairly handy.

What sayeth the Fire?

Camper, tow your hunt jeep.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You might consider a pop-up trailer. easy to pull with it's low profile but pops up to give you plenty of room. Some even offer a/c, most all offer heat. Likely you can find a good one for the $2K or so you are planning.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I was facing nearly the same question. I wanted to take a boat or ATV on a trailer. I ended up with an older 4 Wheel Camper. These are aluminum framed and made for off road adventures. Wander the West has a forum for these and other campers. I ended up rebuilding the floor and have some other repairs to do. Took it Antelope hunting in Wyoming. It takes about 15 minutes to set up or take down. We put the goats on a hitch hauler that also doubles as a step.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I too wrestled with this at one point.

I decided on the wall tent for a number of reasons. One of which is when I'm done with it, it rolls up and goes in my garage. The other is I don't have five tons of mud to clean out when I get home. Yet another is a wood burner dries schit out fast, sitting in a camper doesn't.

Three guys in a wall tent while a storm passes? No problem.

Three guys in a small camper? Good chance you'll end up killing each other. Or falling in love. Either way, it's not good.

If you do go with a slide-in, I would get a tow bar for a second hunting rig and leave the boat at home.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Or...

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Flave, what kind of wall tent o you have?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Davis tents seem to be well regarded. On occasion they have specials and I've seen them for sore dick prices.

http://www.davistent.com/index.cfm?

It's where I will look first.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have had wall tents and small camper trailers. Like the mobility of a tent, but after 2 seasons with a lot of snow (bent numerous poles) we went pack to a 16' camp trailer.

Snow again this last year was not a problem with the camper.I like not having to get up and put wood in the stove.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Mine is a Davis 14X16. They run monthly specials and you can do pretty well. My tent is actually a little too big for most applications but when there are more than two people, it comes in pretty handy.

Especially when the schitty weather rolls in. As already stated everybody will migrate to your tent.

[Linked Image]

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, Travis.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes sir.

Travis

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (35, Bigd7378, Anaconda, anothergun, 6MMWASP, BB3, 8 invisible), 1,414 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,532
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.