-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are bedded with a 'slave' action in the factory where the stocks are manufactured. Then the stocks are sent to the factory where the barrelled actions are made then are put together. I know the wood stocks are made in Costa Rica not sure if the Montana stocks are made there too. Bedding always looks nice but doesn't necessarily fit the action that gets put in it.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bingo!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 308 Montana shot well enough without bedding, but I did it anyway. It's just what I have to do with my rifles to be sure they are shooting as well as I can get them to.

Bedding helped mine even after all the other tweaks.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BCSteve
Well I took it apart tonight. And when through SAS's tips.

The front action screw is not bottoming out.

The mag box is not bottoming out either. Took the follower out and re-assembled it with the box only and there's some nice wiggle room.

The only culprit (and one the more minor one I believe) was the front Talley screw which was bottoming out. A few pass with a file took care of it.

Barrel is squeaky clean, crown looks good. Trigger is nice and light. Barrel is free floated to the front of the chamber

I'll try her again with some of the target bullets and some 129 and 140 Hornady IL I have and see if that scope base screw could have made such a big difference.

Next step after that will be bedding (even though it looks good now).

Personally I would not even shoot it before skim bedding the action. 50% chance it will only cause further frustration if you do not skim bed.

Pieter

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
get a finnlight

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by PathFilmsNZ
get a finnlight

Aye, mate!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
If they don't bed it to the specific actions, why bed it?
Are they so lacking in knowledge that they think it actually doesn't matter or are they attempting to get over on buyers that don't know better?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ringworm
Are they so lacking in knowledge that they think it actually doesn't matter or are they attempting to get over on buyers that don't know better?

They will fit as well as any other action that is not bedded. Kimbers mistake is leaving the impression that each rifle is individually bedded to the stock it is placed in. Yes it is bedding but not real bedding as it is commonly thought of, should be called moulded inletting. Neither does the factory inletting on Rugers, Remingtons, tikkas ,Sakos and many others including aftermarket stocks like McMillan, B&C, Hogue, HS Precision, etc fit each action perfectly without bedding them. I don't know why they don't bed them like Winchesters or brownings but then again those rifles are not without bedding/accuracy issues also.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ringworm

I think you might have nailed it. They're simply trying to screw anyone who buys one of their rifles. The big wigs at Kimber recognize that anyone who buys one of their rifles has to be a certified and verifiable moron, so you get what you get.

As some have pointed out, these are factory rifles with a few different options and ideas attached, but they are still factory rifles. They are not custom rifles.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I've been an obvious moron 7 times in my life and I'm planning on being one again at least once more based on my experience with them. So apparently not all Kimber rifles are like what some would like to portray them to be for whatever reasons. but they are still a factory rifle.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. In that case, 10 minutes with a Dremel and a teaspoon of bedding compound should do wonders.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just saw on kimbers website that their rifle are supposed to be moa or better when being fired by a qualified shooter with factory ammo. My guess is there customer service would say anyone who complains is not qualified. Still can't decide if I should get one in .223 or wait on a stainless m7.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd buy a 223 Montana in a heartbeat.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Wrangler13
Just saw on kimbers website that their rifle are supposed to be moa or better when being fired by a qualified shooter with factory ammo. My guess is there customer service would say anyone who complains is not qualified. Still can't decide if I should get one in .223 or wait on a stainless m7.

Yes, get the darn Kimber 84m 223 in a heartbeat. I have one and it feels superb in the hand.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just got my 223 bedded actually and was hoping for some advice from those that know.

The lug is bedded super tight and the bedding goes to under the shank. Do I need to dremel out the bottom of the recoil lug? How would I know if it is bottoming out or if so, even needs to be relieved.

Thank you all

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wrangler13

I'd bet they are using a machine rest and just the barreled action for that guarantee test.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
I just got my 223 bedded actually and was hoping for some advice from those that know.

The lug is bedded super tight and the bedding goes to under the shank. Do I need to dremel out the bottom of the recoil lug? How would I know if it is bottoming out or if so, even needs to be relieved.

Thank you all

If it were me, I'd get rid of the bedding under the lug. That's once place in the bedding I don't want any contact. I do believe the Kimber benefits from a tight lug, but I don't want anything underneath it.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks SAS, I actually got this little rifle from you and a note to all : It was an extremely smooth and pleasurably experience buying a rifle from SAS and Whittaker's

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Ya' know, if you spend $1250 on a rifle, you should have reasonable expectations of promised accuracy. I could have bought 3 Ruger American All-weather rifles for the money I spent on the Kimber and got twice the accuracy. No thanks. I learned my lesson. This is just my informed first hand opinion. Sorry for the rant, not meant to offend.

Dave

One shot, one kill........
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Heliman
Ya' know, if you spend $1250 on a rifle, you should have reasonable expectations of promised accuracy. I could have bought 3 Ruger American All-weather rifles for the money I spent on the Kimber and got twice the accuracy. No thanks. I learned my lesson. This is just my informed first hand opinion. Sorry for the rant, not meant to offend.

Dave

Not meant to offend,but if you aren't buying the Montana for all the reason's that it's different from an American,then you really shouldn't be buying the Montana.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I bought the Montana for a light weight packing rifle that was still accurate regardless of the lighter weight. I have an American that doubles the accuracy with on 8 ounces more weight that is accurate and still easy packing.

Don't want an argument here, just stating pure fact from MY experience. Now if my ordered Cooper rifle doesn't shoot well I will be REALLY upset .

Dave

One shot, one kill........
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (007FJ, 21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 71 invisible), 2,587 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,916
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.