Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Microwave bacon is good.

SPAM singles are better.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Does anyone cache their food or camping supplies before the hunt. I was thinking a bear proof container would be ideal to store some food and maybe some luxuries that may get left out of the pack

Irving:

I do just that. I hunt elk in the same area every year. I have two places where I like to camp depending on how the herd reacts to the weather. One place is in the foothills about 3 1/2 miles from the trailhead and the other is in the high country, another 3 1/2 miles further in. I have prepared and cached some aspen poles, firewood, and a roll of tie-wire at each location.

Just before the season opens, I day-hike into my first camp and cache food and fuel in a waterproof bag suspended about 10 feet in the air. This strategy allows me to hunt Colorado's 3rd season, carry a ultralight tent and a big Siltarp, and be prepared to weather a heavy snowfall without lugging a heavy backpack.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4ager
'Lanche,

Link?

The full episode likely will never be aired again and you can't watch them online...so this is all you get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QRv-h4OOAY

smile

As for food cacheing I haven't done it yet, but I could see it being handy to do certainly at some point if the logistics work out. Just that most the time it doesn't feesible.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
'Lanche,

Link?

The full episode likely will never be aired again and you can't watch them online...so this is all you get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QRv-h4OOAY
Awesome video I want more
smile

As for food cacheing I haven't done it yet, but I could see it being handy to do certainly at some point if the logistics work out. Just that most the time it doesn't feesible.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Does anyone cache their food or camping supplies before the hunt. I was thinking a bear proof container would be ideal to store some food and maybe some luxuries that may get left out of the pack

There are a few situations where I'd consider it; the problem is it still all has to come out. An additional 20-30 lbs added on the way out can be the difference between one-tripping a mule deer or not.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd love to air-drop some steaks in a cooler with dry ice and a charcoal grill into a few places, but I don't want anyone else to know where I'm going... smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

+

[Linked Image]

= 560 Calories, 14 gr protein. Breakfast of champions.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That is a great combo. And when I'm living outside for a week, I don't even mind that probars make me fart like a bull!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
And I thought it was just me.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Air drop my eye! I'll pack them steaks for you.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Some really fantastic suggestions! Thanks, all, and please do continue!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
There are a few situations where I'd consider it; the problem is it still all has to come out. An additional 20-30 lbs added on the way out can be the difference between one-tripping a mule deer or not.

Snowy:

I figure it like this. If I don't get an elk I will stay the entire season trying to fill my tag and I will eat all my food while I'm there. If I do get an elk I rent a horse and the horse is courteous enough to carry out any remaining food along with everything else.

I only cache stuff for elk hunting. When deer hunting, I carry everything. A deer is small enough that I can usually carry one out in a single trip then go back in and get my camp and any remaining supplies. I'm too old and feeble to try to carry out my camp, remaining supplies and a deer, all in one trip.

BTW I figure that food and fuel weigh about 1 1/2 pounds per day. So a week (7 days & 6 nights) will weigh less than 10 pounds.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good news is if things go as planned, you won't get hungry. Prolly have enough to sustain yourself for 6 mos or so......

I will say that when camping, I just want to be "full" and get it over with when I comes to eating. Don't mind to get fancy on occasion, but its low priority.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 16bore

I will say that when camping, I just want to be "full" and get it over with when I comes to eating. Don't mind to get fancy on occasion, but its low priority.

I mostly agree. I'm a fan of simple, and not just while camping.

On the other hand, when you are stuck in a tent for 2-3 days, food can be a nice distraction. Ideally it would be fresh meat, but you gotta work with what you've got.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This has been a great thread and some fantastic recommendations.

In prep, I've been consuming a Mountain House meal per week to see what they do to the digestive tract and which ones pass the taste-o-meter.

Mountain House Rice and Chicken. That one passes the taste-o-meter and no ill effects downstairs. Not great, but definitely one that will be in the queue for the 10 day meal rotation.

Lasagna with meat sauce. Did fine on the digestive tract but taste was lacking (spoiled due to my wife's lasagna). A back-up at this point, and no more.

Beef stroganoff. Tasted pretty good actually. Did fine on the guts, too. A keeper.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
spaghetti with meat sauce is best IMO.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That one was out when I picked these few up. It's on the list to try. I need ten days of meals, and I figure that one MH per day (end of day) is about right, along with a decent breakfast and snacks throughout.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My experience has been that if I have ten days worth of meals to plan for (and enough snacks to get by) and I pack in 10 MH meals, 2 or 3 of them will be making the trip out. In other words, 10 days straight is more than I want.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
My experience has been that if I have ten days worth of meals to plan for (and enough snacks to get by) and I pack in 10 MH meals, 2 or 3 of them will be making the trip out. In other words, 10 days straight is more than I want.

AGREED! However, that's contingent upon the elk cooperating, and/or the trout and/or the grouse and/or the rabbits cooperating. wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This has been a great thread and some fantastic recommendations.

In prep, I've been consuming a Mountain House meal per week to see what they do to the digestive tract and which ones pass the taste-o-meter.

Mountain House Rice and Chicken. That one passes the taste-o-meter and no ill effects downstairs. Not great, but definitely one that will be in the queue for the 10 day meal rotation.

Lasagna with meat sauce. Did fine on the digestive tract but taste was lacking (spoiled due to my wife's lasagna). A back-up at this point, and no more.

Beef stroganoff. Tasted pretty good actually. Did fine on the guts, too. A keeper.

Trial and error is more important than a lot of fellas realize. Beef stew is a good one too. I have a chicken salad I want to try.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,264 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,678
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.