Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Romo
Be careful about the dates on internet information... much changed fairly recently and unless you have up-to-date info you are going to miss the real skinny... For example, your link does not include the lands you mentioned... I suspect there will be more problems in many places.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Romo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
@ SpartanGunner, no harm, no foul. Apology accepted and thanks for your input.

@ Sitka deer, can you elaborate? Better yet, can you tell me where I may find up-to-date info?

"The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Contact the Native Corp directly. Call their land manager and ask him where the conflict is. Lots of this sort of thing gets represented as evil people doing evil things when it is just a case of arguing prices...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats sux !Hey look at the positive side, at least you got your money back !

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Romo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wildone, no worries. I'll get it reconciled one way or another. Worst case is that you're moose hunting with a coonass, again, and we're flipping a coin for first shot:)

"The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lot of Native corporations, like landowners in many places, welcome some sort of compensation. As long as you, but perhaps especially the guide respect that, there often is no problem. It may seem odd since most of these lands are wild and undeveloped. Even State and Federal land is becoming more controlled than it has been in years past. Your guide probably already pays compensation to government entities for the commercial uses of public lands.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Other examples include land allottments along miles of road that eliminate practical access to the land beyond. A single access to the parcel behind creating a llllooooonnnngggggggg hike to other areas of the parcel has been held to be enough to grant access to public land... Even on cases where historical access was closer, multiple, and far easier...

So the land hunted may not have changed hands... but access points may have...

There are lots of examples of access conflicts where a guide might just be pissy about the negotiations... and rightfully so.

Romo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I found out what's going on. The native corporation wants to double the contract on the guide's exclusive guide rights. I'll wait until I can speak with him until mid May to see how it all works out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

There are lots of examples of access conflicts where a guide might just be pissy about the negotiations... and rightfully so.

Yes, but........ Isn't that why you're supposed to hire the guides who could also qualify as foreign diplomats? grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
your not gonna bring that friggin double sided quarter again are you? LOL

I Kill Things......deal with it..
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GrizzlyKid
Consider it a blessing in disguise and call Miluer...

Scott Mileur is superb.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even in Alaska the land is not free. Nowhere for one to go without someone in control....

Romo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Everything is resolved. I'll be hunting at Frazer Lake with Dennis Harms on May 1-15, 2015.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Thats great Romo, congrats!!! I've hunted Frazer before, its an awesome place.

D
D
Romo,

Did you kill a bear?

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I haven't been able to contact Romo on several forums. I did speak with Dennis Harms and he said Romo did not kill a bear. Said he saw several and had really tough rain for many days. Dennis indicated Romo was thinking of hunting again in a few years.

Romo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here's the story...after 16 days on Kodiak.

I didn't get a bear. 1 hunter in camp with me at Frazer Lake got a 9'10" with 27" skull on Day 10 while I was out in spike camp. 3 of the 4 Aliulik hunters got bears - all over 28" skulls. The 4th hunter in that camp quit on Day 10.

We had missed opportunities on Day 3, 7 and 13.

Day 3, I was within 70 yards, but only had 5 second window. We tried to get the boar to stop, because we did not want to shoot while he was moving. The bear never stopped and we dogged him pretty good for an hour. He was about 9'6"

Day 7 we spiked about 4 miles out and within 15 minutes of setting camp we spotted a good one, over 9'6", about 3 miles across a valley. We humped it in 55 minutes and got within 750 yards, but he found a sow and they went up over a mountain. As they were going up and over, another 9'6" boar appeared but he went up and over too.

Day 13 we spotted one, about 9'2"ish, at about 10 a.m. We climbed 2 hours over 1500' and stalked another 5 hours, but when we got there, we saw his tracks in the snow where he went up and over the mountain.

It was a great adventure. Thanks to Billy Molls, who worked hard to make it happen, and to Dennis Harms, who runs a professional outfit.

I'll be back in 2018 or 2019!

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I hate that you didn't connect but am sure you had a great time. Good to hear your pleased with Dennis's operation. I have spoken to him several times and could listen for hours. What a wealth of Kodiak experience. Way to stick it out during tough conditions. I can't even imagine leaving in the middle of a hunt like the one guy. Your day will come and it will be sweet. Let's stay in touch.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 1234, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 163bc, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,931
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.