Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've coached baseball for my daughter for 4 years now, I've had to pull a kid 4 times, it typically takes about once per year for the rest of them to figure out what is and isn't tolerated. Bad sportsmanship and or intentionally trying to hurt someone would do it for me as a coach.

After the game the kid and the parents are both told if it happens again they are not on my team anymore. Only had one parent disagree with my decision and they were told to find a new team.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
She'll have every queer in the country voting for her!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
She'll have every queer in the country voting for her!!
Wrong thread?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JMR40
I coached high school and middle school football for 30 years before retiring. Ended up being drafted into soccer the last few years. Not that I was terribly qualified, but the most qualified on the staff. My qualifications: I drove the bus and went to all of the practices and games when my daughter played. When the real coach resigned I was the next best qualified.

For one thing, in every sport a good coach will teach his players to figure out how the ref's are calling the game very early on. Every ref sees the game differently and once a team advances to playoff's fewer fowls are going to be called. If the game is being called loosely, that is how we will play. If the ref's are calling a tight game, then we play that way.

This is an important yet overlooked aspect of coaching in youth sports with respect to reffing/umping.

I was recently enlisted to be homeplate ump for the girls' 12U game against the 2nd best team in the league. 3rd batter the coach was trying to define my strike zone for me by bullying and asking smartass questions.

As game progressed, their very good pitcher was missing the corners and I wasn't giving anything away. If she missed, she missed. Their fans were PO'd because "she never walks batters". Coach got in my face about 2 different strike zones. I cautioned him and then gave him an ultimatum. He shut up when I told him one more word, question, breath, he was gone.

Point being, he accused me of hurting his girl. He refused to adjust his girls and his coaching when he realized they weren't going to given a large strikezone. He failed to adjust to the way the game was being called and it almost cost them the game.

As to being given a green light when you realize the other teams is going to play hard or dirty, I agree. But, most of the kids I coach and help with don't have it in them to be mean and dirty so it usually doesn't work too well.

Montana MOFO
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds like in a couple of ways you need to get a reputation as a jerk. Insist on getting officials names before play begins. They refuse to give them? Just forfeit the game. Leave. Let them have to explain that. They will not like it.
And multiple video cameras. It may take a while but the nonsense will eventually end.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
jeezus... You guys gonna make s'mores? video evidence, national boards. official protests, Let 'em play, or take 'em outa the damned game... Sorry, but I raised my son thru Division 1 soccer and international play, when they're 6 maybe ya worry about 'em. By the time they're 11 or 12 it's a contact sport. Sometime they dish it out and sometimes they get hurt. That's the way of the game. Good refs and bad, just part of the deal too. Deal with it, or buy 'em a dress and teach 'em to knit.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Sports has, for the most part, been ruined.

Steve.

After a year of our 16 year old girl in Volleyball and Track, and our 13 year old boy in Basketball and Lacrosse, I couldn't disagree more.

Read the words "for the most part." I'll admit there are some vestiges where sports have not been ruined. All you've done is point out a couple of them.

I know a few, too, so I am not saying there is no hope for sports.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One reason I've preferred the individual sportst to team sports i.e. swimming and running. If you're the first to the line, you win no questions asked, no reg throwing the game or a coach having favorites and leaving good players on the bench.

The only thing worse than bad refs are parents who can't sit down, STFU and let kids compete.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The 3 biggest problems with kids sports is
Parents, parents,parents. Most parents are pretty good but some are real jerks :-(

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
true that Dave

when I coached my youngest we played a bad news bears team in the tourney that late summer

We'd been those same bad news bears when one of the moms was trying to coach the previous season until I took over about midway and we ended up playing for the championship.

pulled my kid and another kid for showboatin it over these kids they were toying with the other team and didn't replace them so we played short handed.

also never let the other team compete against us short handed, even though some of those teams had done so to us when we had kids gone.

some parents thought I was a bit "stern" with that stuff

no problem, lots of teams out there, find one you like and move your kid to that one, if he plays here, he plays the way I say.

End of story

never had to worry about a kid taking a cheap shot an opponent, I'll sit your azz in a heartbeat, and not afraid to boot your azz off the team for major transgressions such as a cheap shot.

kids were great kids, they just needed leadership

leadership ain't necessarily a popularity contest ime. others mileage may vary

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Too many Americans think soccer is a "safe" sport, and fail to realize how badly people can get injured. Soccer has been the #1 sport for concussions in female NCAA athletes for over a decade.

And dirty/bad refs are found in any sport. Get video evidence; report to local association; if necessary, report to sanctioning organization if local association won't respond. Document evcerything.
When I was a paramedic, during football season we'd take one or two guys off the field. During soccer season we took a kid off the field every weekend. LOTS of broken ankles, tibias, and I set my very first femur on a 10 year old soccer player.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnman1
jeezus... You guys gonna make s'mores? video evidence, national boards. official protests, Let 'em play, or take 'em outa the damned game... Sorry, but I raised my son thru Division 1 soccer and international play, when they're 6 maybe ya worry about 'em. By the time they're 11 or 12 it's a contact sport. Sometime they dish it out and sometimes they get hurt. That's the way of the game. Good refs and bad, just part of the deal too. Deal with it, or buy 'em a dress and teach 'em to knit.
Legs to the neck and head...if you don't have enough sense to know that's a bad idea, then I kinda feel sorry for your kid.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by mtnman1
Legs to the neck and head...if you don't have enough sense to know that's a bad idea, then I kinda feel sorry for your kid.

You mean the kid clerking for a federal judge at the moment? He seems to have survived, but I'll convey your concerns...

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Never played soccer, but did play football as an undersized late bloomer up through FCS college ball. Learned pretty early to protect myself. It's not hard to anticipate big hits and cheap shots. Never,,ever rely on a referee to keep a game safe. That's up to the coach below a certain age (this case for example), and both the coach and players later on

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by JMR40
I coached high school and middle school football for 30 years before retiring. Ended up being drafted into soccer the last few years. Not that I was terribly qualified, but the most qualified on the staff. My qualifications: I drove the bus and went to all of the practices and games when my daughter played. When the real coach resigned I was the next best qualified.

For one thing, in every sport a good coach will teach his players to figure out how the ref's are calling the game very early on. Every ref sees the game differently and once a team advances to playoff's fewer fowls are going to be called. If the game is being called loosely, that is how we will play. If the ref's are calling a tight game, then we play that way.

This is an important yet overlooked aspect of coaching in youth sports with respect to reffing/umping.

I was recently enlisted to be homeplate ump for the girls' 12U game against the 2nd best team in the league. 3rd batter the coach was trying to define my strike zone for me by bullying and asking smartass questions.

As game progressed, their very good pitcher was missing the corners and I wasn't giving anything away. If she missed, she missed. Their fans were PO'd because "she never walks batters". Coach got in my face about 2 different strike zones. I cautioned him and then gave him an ultimatum. He shut up when I told him one more word, question, breath, he was gone.

Point being, he accused me of hurting his girl. He refused to adjust his girls and his coaching when he realized they weren't going to given a large strikezone. He failed to adjust to the way the game was being called and it almost cost them the game.

As to being given a green light when you realize the other teams is going to play hard or dirty, I agree. But, most of the kids I coach and help with don't have it in them to be mean and dirty so it usually doesn't work too well.
It's a good pitcher's job to use the first inning to figure out the ump's strike zone. It's a better pitcher's job to know his strike zone before the first pitch is ever thrown. My daughter pitched for 10 years and kept notes on every single umpire she ever faced. If she'd faced them many times, she could probably tell you what that ump ate for lunch at the last tournament.

A good pitcher knows and ump likes a low strike-she'd better be living there. The same, I'm sure goes with soccer. You have to take what the umps will give you. That being said, it shouldn't get to the point where kids are getting hurt. Physical play is different from dangerous play, and shouldn't be tolerated.

Last edited by gophergunner; 06/04/15.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1234, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,144 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,014
Posts18,481,586
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.