Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I did a search. I found a good question but not the specific answer I was looking for. I also called the airline I'm travelling with and they didn't really know either.

I am flying to Oregon next week with my bow. I have a hard sided, lockable case that holds my bow and my arrows--like most do.

1. Can I leave my arrows in my bow case when travelling?
2. Should I leave the broadheads off the arrows?
3. Do we get hit for an oversize luggage fee for a typical bow case?

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Last time I flew, I packed my arrows just like a rifle, broadheads on.

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In your bow case with your bow?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Blaine,
with referance to my trips to Alaska from Georgia...

1. Yes
2. Not necessary
3. No

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks!

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yes, I packed a recurve bow, a hardshell case with arrows and a bolt action rifle in a two-gun hardshell case. I packed the ammunition in my locked suitcase.

My experience is that most airline personnel don't know the security rules very well. I once ended up in a metropolitan terminal coming off a commuter line, well past security screens, carrying my backpack and an SKB case, and wearing my hunting clothes. I boarded the plane with the rifle, and the stewardess stood it up in the closet with their coats.

I had some friends flying in from Africa on Sept 11, 2001. They were trapped in the JFK terminal all day. Security and police rushed back and forth. No one stopped to look at their 4 long gun cases.

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have never had a problem checking firearms in baggage. The most hassle I ever had was bringing my elk meat home one trip. I had to sign all kinds of liability waivers in case the airlines shipped the emat to the wrong location and it spoiled. That was in 2002.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I travel with my tuffpac bow case and have not been hit with oversize charges yet. But I heard that this is no longer the case.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I just flew to and from Alaska with my bow. I kept the broadheads on. As a precaution to cutting my locks, I chose to have my bow case checked as if it were a rifle.

No on the oversize charge as well.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I fly quite a bit with bows and guns. You are allowed one oversize piece of luggage; rifle case, bow case, golf clubs, skis, ect. No problem with bheads on arrows with the bow, but I take them off just in case things bounce around. I always have TSA check my bags in my presence, then I know they are OK to go and they are all sealed up with TSA tape and tags and there should be no lock cutting.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Blaine,

Just a little food for thought............I was working in an archery shop a few years back and a gentlemen came in for a couple weeks straight (tuning, arrow fletched, tuning again, etc.) to get ready for I believe it was a bear hunt (doesn't matter really).............He gets everything ready and puts his bow and broadhead tippped arrows in his case for the flight. When it reached his destination, he opened his case to find a completely busted bow string. One of his arrows had rattled loose (you know how airlines are with luggage let alone a bow case) and the broadhead cut the string. The next day he spent all day calling and driving three hours away to get a new string put on!! I have since bought a arrow box that I keep my arrows only in!!

Just a thought!

Trey

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Just got back from a trip to Alaska. Anouther hunter was coming back from Idaho and I overheard the baggage handler ask him if his bow was loaded. Got to love standardized questions because they keep us from having to think too hard!

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just got back. Travel was piece of cake with my econo grade Flambeau $20 bow case. No extra charges. I did take the broadheads off due to concern for an arrow coming loose and cutting the string.............

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (1234, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 21, 2500HD, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 3,442 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,816
Posts18,536,768
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.