Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Hello all
I started off with this 17 Hornet experience when brass was in short supply, essentially only option was through Gun -broker at prices I could not justify. As I understood the quality factory brass being obtained at that time left a lot to be desired.

So I went ahead and formed my own brass from Privi 22 Hornet brass and was very pleased with the outcome of what I felt was some pretty good quality brass. Only issue I had was the brass varied in weight a little over 3 grains. Not a problem Ill just sort my brass, and so I did.
As a comparison I just formed some 17 Fireball brass from Lapua 221 Fireball brass and only complaint I may of had with the Lapua brass was the weight variation which ran roughly 3 grains here as well.
Accuracy proved very satisfying to me in the CZ 527 American rifle with the 17 Hornet Fire-forming loads as well as the fire formed brass. Typical accuracy experienced came in at anywhere from .5" to .8" with both the fire forming loads as well as the fire formed brass when the wind would cooperate. Not a lot of variable wind required to open up a half moa group up to 1&1/2 moa group.
Then I Got my hands on some factory Ammo and soon therafter some virgin Hornady 17 Hornet brass at a price I could live with. Well I was having such a good experience with the home rolled brass I left the Hornady brass alone while I was still experimenting with bullets powder and primers in the fire-formed Privi brass. Lack of sub MOA accuracy with the factory 17 hornet ammo never helped spark my intrest in working more with the factory brass at that time. Perhaps the factory ammo may prove more accurate in warmer weather. My initial test took place in sub zero to 30 above weather.

This week I finally got around to working with the Hornady 17 Hornet Brass purchased back in December of 2014. This brass is proving to be very good quality. Weighed out 150 pieces of virgin brass and all of this brass fell within 6 tenths of a grain, most fell within two tenths of a grain smile Primer pockets are nice and snug and very uniform and the same uniformity follows through with every other feature on this brass. I can be quite critical and I must say No fault to be found with this brass.

Brass from the once fired factory ammo came in nearly as uniform with a few pieces exceeding 1 grain variation.

Will be interesting to see how accuracy works out with the factory 17 Hornet brass.
As well as the home formed 17 hornet, from the 22 Hornet worked out, Ill be surprised if this proves much if any more accurate.

Seems like all is falling into plan. The factory brass should work great from the bench and perhaps the prairie dog fields where keeping track of brass can be very controlled.

The Privi brass will be great for when out calling predators and other field work. Wont feel quit as bad when loosing a few pieces of the fire formed brass. Have a little over a quarter a piece into that brass and a fair amount of sweat to boot. Well good therapy to take my mind off some of life's other concerns for a while.

Looking forward to a few more days when the wind is not blowing 10 to 25 MPH to test these loads in the factory 17 Hornet brass. Unfortunately calm days even mornings or evenings are a rarity in this area I call home.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hunterapp,

Many thanks for the research and experimental work that you have done. Please keep us up to date regarding your experience with the 17 Hornet Hornady brass.

Steve

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hunterapp,

I'll just comment that with one exception (100 pieces made of converted Winchester brass) I've been shooting Hornady brass exclusively in my CZ 527 .17 Hornet since purchasing it over two years ago. Some came from Hornady ammo, but most has been purchased as new brass at varying intervals since then. So far I've never had any problems with Hornady .17 Hornet brass, and all has resulted in excellent accuracy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks John. That answers my question re the quality of Hornady 17 Hornet brass.

Steve

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Mule Deer,

Seems we have another inherently accurate commercially available 17 caliber round here that is very efficient.

Thanks for sharing. BTW How was your experience with the winchester 22 hornet conversion stuff?

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It was a PITA to make but works very well. Not enough difference in brass weight between it and the Hornady to result in any need to change loads.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're making 17 Hornet from PRVI 22 Hornet, while I have been tempted to buy Hornady 17 Hornet in order to make brass for my 22 Hornet….. crazy

(Can get Hornady 17 brass but not the 22 headstamp.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
midsouth has hornady 22 hornet brass in stock. Picked some up but haven't had a chance to compare it to Rem or Win brass that I have

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Midway had the Hornady .22 Hornet cases in stock for a little while a month or so ago. The most important word their is "little," because it all got snarfed up in a day or two.

You have to be Internet consistent (and quick on "ADD TO CART") to keep up with such stuff!

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At the moment Midway still has some hornet brass. I got some in today along with some of the Midway 34 grain dogtown bullets. Have not seen either available for some time. Maybe the life of the reloader is going to get a little easier. Hope so anyway..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,329
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.