Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
John55 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
About three years ago I bought a couple of new 2.5-8x as they were closing out the older version of the current VX3. I've had them in the box until this fall when I finally decided to put one on my favorite muzzle loader. After the initial sighting in procedure at 25yds I moved out to 100yds and found I needed to make some adjustments. This group was centered 1.5" low and 1.5" left of the aiming point. I moved the scope up 14 clicks and then right 6 clicks, getting me to a centered POI that would hopefully be 2" high...I always go past the intended spot and then click back to it. The first 3 shots hit 3" high and 1" right from POA....hummm. So I went down 4 clicks and left 4 clicks. Shot twice and they were right in the same group as the previous 3 shots! Okay, so I move it down another 4 clicks and fire off two more shots which finally hit where I wanted. A scope of this quality ought to track better but the past several Leupolds I have purchased sure have been a disappointment in this area. I am alone in this or do others have the same troubles?

Last edited by John55; 11/16/11.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You said you bought a couple of scopes -- did you try the other one? Did you inform Leupold customer service?

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Mine track fine. I'm with Steve - bad products happen - to every company. Call them, send it in. I bet if its broken they make it right.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
To check out scope tracking and to "shoot the box" I use one of my real accurate 308 rifles. Is your muzzle loader a half MOA gun? grin

Just poking a little fun,
m

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Seen more than one muzzle loader that didn't track all that consistently either. Have also seen more than one shooter chase holes.

Have also seen a couple Leupolds that didn't track great out of the gate, but then settled in quickly and did fine.

Have also had days when I was the problem.

However, be that as it may, fortunately there are other brands of scopes for you to use if Leupold-or their customer service-don't meet your exceptions.

Addition:

Originally Posted by John55
but the past several Leupolds I have purchased sure have been a disappointment in this area.

How many and why do you continue to aggravate yourself with a recurring problem?

Last edited by battue; 11/16/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not marked in 1/2 MOA increments is it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
To check out scope tracking and to "shoot the box" I use one of my real accurate 308 rifles. Is your muzzle loader a half MOA gun? grin

Just poking a little fun,
m

Very valid point. I was shooting some 4-shot groups yesterday with a relatively hot and dirty rifle (86F outside), and it was doing a lot of 2+2 grouping, with the second group always being above the first. Stuff like that can drive someone batty if trying to make adjustments and shooting for POI.

I will say that my Leupolds with turrets have generally tracked quite well, even the less expensive ones. While I was not totally crazy about the eye-box on a 6-18 VX-II that I recently put on my 223AI, I found that it certainly tracks true. Clicking back and forth from 200yds to 400yds gives overlapping groups on my steel targets with different shooters on different days.

I have had two Leupolds that did indeed "schitt the bed", but they just started sending bullets all over the 100yd target. One was an older M8-4x and the other was a newer Vari-X III from the custom shop. Both were back in my hands from repairs rather quickly.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
2.5-8 should be .25moa.

However, I did have one with an elevation ring indicator on the horizontal dial. Still that way today. grin

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If you want to make yourself crazy about "tracking," put a Leupie on a Mini 14.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OP - No doubt as Leupold's production increases to match demand, things can happen, but they WILL back it up.

If the rifle is fine and the scope bad, it's not the norm IMHO and they will back it up.

Nowaday's, it's wise to install any new scope and test to be sure no issues, well before hunting season, but if as it should be - free of problems, odds are you will get a long service life in normal use.

I sympathize w/frustration as I had half a truck full of Remington's over the years with issues and about threw in the towel on them, but I do believe Leupold's quality control is a far cry from Remington. The latter has had some issues which perhaps varied depending on what year of mfg. one is discussing, the mid/late 90s seemed horrible.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would take me more than one range session to declare what's/who's at fault. Just thinking out loud here..

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Leupold quality/problem threads always give me a giggle.

Should a Nightforce, Zwarvowski, Schmidt-Bender, Zeiss track better, have better glass, focus more accurately/easier, be more durable, etc? Well I would hope so for the additional price. If not they are a bigger ripoff than many Leupolds that get criticized here. For me their size tends to be the killer for what I want.

However, what I see for the most part is Leupold scopes that are solid performers that many-more than a few with extensive experience-use successfully and with only occasional problems.

Combined with an exemplary commitment to the customer and competitive pricing, I am willing to accept occasional reported and experienced faults without public bashing of their products.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
John55: First of all using a muzzleloader to ascertain a scopes trackability at 100 yards is "iffy" policy at best!
I have a number of Leupold 2.5x8 variables scopes on accurate centerfire Rifles and rimfire Rifles and they "track" just fine!
I also have a number of close friends, Hunting partners and have observed many folks at various ranges that are just as happy as clams with their 2.5x8 Leupold scopes!
As far as I know you indeed are "alone"!
Buy Leupold!
Buy American!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think some here refer to it as the "Leupold dance" - I'm not out to take a shot at Leupold, so here is my experience.

Currently own only 3 Leupolds
- older VariXIII 2.5X8 , bought new in 95. Good dependable scope on my 'go to' , plain Jane 30/06. Somewhat sluggish on tracking , not bad . Consistent on tracking ie moves the same so its OK. Obviously like/trust it based on where its sitting
- VX II 2-7 . Nice little scope , holds zero once its dialed in , but is not precise in movement nor repeatble ie . Will move different amounts per click, different times.
- FX II 6X36 (previous version to whats out now). Similar to the 2X7 above but worse.

Is it a big issue to me - not really ALTHO precise movement on adjustment gives (me anyway) more confidence in the mechanical quality of the product.

Others have different experiences - this is what I have

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He's not alone.

I, and many others, have seen that. In my case, as fate would have it, it was also on pre-VX3 2.5-8's. I call it the Leupold shuffle".... smile

That being said, I have one that tracks beautifully. But I bet 1/3 of the Leup's I've bought showed some of that jittery stuff, at least early on. However, they do HOLD zero well once you get them there.

Before giving up and sending it in, try exercising the erectors across their full travel a few times.

For what's worth, my Conquests have never shown me that behavior.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
John55 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
The ML this scope sits on is very capable of MOA...in fact the 5 shots that went into the group I mentioned made just over a MOA group and that's with making scope adjustments between the first 3 and the last two shots. It's not the typical charcoal burning slug tosser...in fact it doesn't even use black powder! I was shooting a proven load in this gun that can and will shoot MOA more times than not. And yes I know a call to Leupold will make all right with the world, they'll tell me to send it in and they'll fix it for free, I've done just that on several occasions when something really broke...like on another 2.5-8x purchased around the time this one was. On that one I went to remove the turret cap and the entire turret came out of the main tube! That's the point, when a person spends this much on a scope it shouldn't have to be sent back with the frequency these are showing. As for the question of how many and why I continue to buy them, I own well over 2 dozen Leupold scopes...so I think it;s fair to say I have/had a preference for them. Roughly half of the last 10 purchased haven't tracked for $hit. These last two are the only remaining ones that have went untested, and it looks like this one won't be around much longer before a trip to the factory is setup. I'm getting very tired of sending virtually new gear back for repairs that should not be needed in the first place. And yes, I do run the adjustments all the way back and forth a couple of times before centering them prior to mounting.... they do seem to hold zero once you get there is the only positive. I guess my complaint here is that for years I could buy a new Leupold and know w/o doubt it was going to work as advertised, first time and all the time.

Last edited by John55; 11/16/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM me if you want to get rid of them for cheap. Sounds like they are junk.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree regards the MZ loader, my TC Encore gave me fits with 2 Scopes, an Aimpoint, and a peep sight. Turns out the barrel was not locking into the frame properly (don't ask thats what TC said). Now it shoots 2 MOA at 100 with BH209 and TC 250 grain Shockwave bullets. It has a zeiss diavari on it however.

As an aside the Shockwave bullets are BS, I don't think they expand when shot thru a medium doe or three.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, buying junk scopes even if messed up is a good idea, they will be made right per warranty at no charge...a good investment...free forever service policy........that you know will be there IF/when you need it.

Where is the used junk scope bargain bin?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i've had similar issues before i learned that wonky things happen when you over tighten the rear cap screws. sluggish tracking, even broke the retical on one without even shooting it.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.