Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
but if you can't do basic math, who gets the blame? smile

link to story
More city kids are graduating from high school, but that doesn't mean they can do college math.

Basic algebra involving fractions and decimals stumped a group of City University of New York freshmen - suggesting city schools aren't preparing them, a CUNY report shows.

"These results are shocking," said City College Prof. Stanley Ocken, who co-wrote the report on CUNY kids' skills. "They show that a disturbing proportion of New York City high school graduates lack basic skills."

During their first math class at one of CUNY's four-year colleges, 90% of 200 students tested couldn't solve a simple algebra problem, the report by the CUNY Council of Math Chairs found. Only a third could convert a fraction into a decimal.

The lack of math skills means the CUNY students - nearly 70% of which come from city schools - could struggle to keep up with peers, fail classes or even drop out, the professors charged.

Sam......

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A similar experiment at some college/university showed very few knew who the Vice Prez is..

Our LIBERAL education system - at it's best...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
90%!!!???

WOW!

Guess homo high has other priorities...

Love your neighbor as yourself. Do not take into account a wrong suffered. Never return evil for evil. Resist not the violent man. Turn the other cheek, go the second mile, give to him that asks.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

Seriously now; schools continue to fail and yet they ask for more and more money. Many students are English learners who are in this country illegally, which skews the numbers significantly.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Methinks parents are the only ones responsible to ensure their kids learn. Unfortunately school is looked upon as 6 period daycare center for kids.

Dad spent lots of time with me and if he didn't know how to do something he found someone that did to help teach me. It's also on the person being taught. I don't care if your 15 or 50, if you aren't grasping something ask.

Last edited by Steelhead; 11/13/09.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
our oldest came to us asking for help on her algebra math about 10 days ago cause she didnt understand it......no problem the wife and had no issues with calculus when we were in school....i knew i was gonna have to refresh my memory so i took her book to read and look at the examples since i havent had to use fractions and cubed and square roots in algebra since i had a math class nearly 10 years ago.....could not find a single [bleep] example in the book, not to mention every chapter was a jumble of a whole lot of chit and had no rhyme or reason to it.....WTF? the entire text book was questions with nothing showing a kid how to do something if they get stuck outside of the classroom.....we finally had to go online and after bout a 5 minute refresher course the wife and i were able to explain how to do them to Kate....

couple days ago we bump into a math teacher from the high school and ask her what she thought about the text books.....she shook her head and said the problem is not the text books, the real problem is the tests they are required to give to meet the No Child Left Behind standards.....the tests teach on everything at every grade level....teachers CAN NOT focus on algebra, have the students get it down, move on to trig, have the students get it down and move on to calc.....they are teaching algebra one day, trig the next and often the lessons have nothing in common...teachers are having to fly through it to cover enough chit that the majority of the students have a shot in hell of passing the guberment tests.....cant teach them in away to give them a solid foundation.....the guberment aint letting that happen.....

cant believe how far our school, which has some damn good math teachers, same ones i had for the most part 10 years ago, and they cant teach kids math.....it aint all the teachers fault, alot of this lies at the feet of the idiots in DC

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Methinks parents are the only ones responsible to ensure their kids learn. Unfortunately school is looked up as 6 period daycare center for kids.

Dad spent lots of time with me and if he didn't know how to do something he found someone that did to help teach me. It's also on the person being taught. I don't care if your 15 or 50, if you aren't grasping something ask.

Scott - very well said. Thank you for posting it. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Regardless of who is at fault here, and the list of candidates is very long........
Regardless, the tax payer is getting short shrift, and is being forced to pour money down a sewer to support teacher unions.

Blame a teacher's union if Johnny can't read. The unions keep the unqualified teachers in class rooms, and they specify which text books. No Child Left Behind was an attempt, however lame, to fix the problem that teachers and their unions caused.

Sam......

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Only person responsible for my kid is me. Seems lots of folks bitch about government in their life but expect them to be the ones responsible for teaching my kid and ensuring they are in fact learning.

That falls on the parent, period.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
part of the problem being Steelie, i aint a teacher.....i make a damn fine student but always come up short trying to teach someone something i know....for one i dont have the patients.....so i send my stepdaughters to a school i know has damn fine math teachers, how do i know this? cause they taught me....but .gov has changed the rules so [bleep] much in less than 10 years the damn good teachers cant teach the kids for chit....not a private school around that i could send her to even if i had the money.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Only person responsible for my kid is me. Seems lots of folks bitch about government in their life but expect them to be the ones responsible for teaching my kid and ensuring they are in fact learning.

That falls on the parent, period.

The above based on your years of parenting, of course...

Not saying you're not partially correct, of course. But in today's world, where both parents tend to be working outside the home, as a necessity there's a reliance on schools to do what they're supposed to do: educate your child.

Scott

P.S. Sam, apparently you and I are in agreement. Is this another case of my not thinking ?? smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I actually agree with Scott to an extent. When I stand before God, He ain't gonna start talking about how the Teacher's Union should've raised my kids better.

The problem with kids today goes way beyond the schools and the problems with schools goes way beyond the Teacher's Union or NCLB. "Teacher's Union" should just be called "NEA" because none of the others have any power or any affect on anything whatsoever.

Is the NEA a dipshit outfit? Certainly. Without it though, the administrators would just completely control the schools and you wouldn't want that. If you could boil the problem down to one issue, it would be administration. You can't boil it down to that though.

NCLB was rammed through by a Republican President with the full backing of a Republican Congress. It was based on ideas set forth by arch-Republican, Ronald Reagan. If you want to blame anybody individually for kids not knowing who the Vice President is, you should blame Ronald Reagan. The Reagan Report came out when he was President and said too much emphasis was being put on subjects other than the three R's. NCLB is an outgrowth of that.

Actually, I don't know why people still cite NCLB. I didn't like it to begin with, but it did raise achievement in core classes. You have to give it up somewhat, for that. The Dems seem to be doing everything in their power to reverse that trend, even though Teddy Kennedy actually was the power behind NCLB.

I know that school or no school, I am the one ultimately responsible for my child and their education. I know that the community of which I'm a part, is ultimately responsible for the schools. I do all that I can to affect the local schools positively. It seems like all we can do is get assclowns elected to school boards though. And Kansas has some of the best schools in the country.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
unlike most i am very keyed into the local schools.....not only cause my daughters are there but i cover the school board meetings for the paper(after 7 years of doing this i actually understand how schools work better than some school board members, which frankly scares the chit out of me).....our current math curriculum is a direct result of NCLB....before no NCLB you started with algebra as a freshman and hit calculus as a senior if you want it....yes some students never got that far but those that wanted to understand math got the basics done solidly before advancing up....alot of time was spent on the components....now because the NCLB requirements and the tests that have come out of it, your freshman student needs to understand simple to complex algebra, trig and even pre calc their first year of high school....how in the hell do you spend the right amount of time teaching a kid what they need to know if you have to try to get them to understand everything so that maybe, just maybe they can pass that .gov test that the administrators have to worry about.....from what i see with NCLB only the real smart kids are gonna get anything out of it, anyone else is gonna be taught to the lowest denominator...

was NCLB a good thing for the schools thatw ere doing a chitty job? sure it was....but for those schools that were producing students that knew their chit and realized some kids aint gonna learn for the simple fact their parents dont give a [bleep] its been a horrible piece of legislation....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
NCLB is nonsensical because eventually, all schools will be "on improvement". There were versions of the same thing already on the books in every state I'm familiar with though, before NCLB went national. Nationalized curriculum is the goal and NCLB was a huge jump in that direction. If not nationalized, then you've got some state bs to deal with. I'm a Republican but...the Republicans talk a good game when it comes to local control, but they really are big government too. I'm talking at either the Federal or State levels. Then, if you do have local control, nine times out of ten, you've got idiots on the school board who are too stupid to have that control. Personally, I want local control, but there are problems with it.

NCLB doesn't mandate curriculum. It mandates results. To get the desired results, you have to teach certain things. So the Feds finally figured out they could go through the back door and accomplish exactly what they wanted while preserving the appearance of "allowing" for local control. Some of us said that, but like usual, it didn't matter. Things like this are why I am no longer a member of the local school board and also why the current members hate my guts.

In the end, it is your school board that okayed curriculum, most likely chosen by "experts" who talked the administration into it and who themselves then coerced the teachers into recommending it to the board. What you see as a reporter in the boardroom is nothing but window-dressing. The real meetings are held in secret and probably involve less than half the board. That's where your trouble is, with the administration and a couple of board members who run the show. The rest of the board just want their retarded kid on the honor roll and to be Homecoming King or whatever. They are not just whores, but cheap ones.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Schools have to teach all the courses and feed at least two meals a day and teach courses to cover "Date Rape" and "Sexual Harassment". They have to insure that no one is being bullied that they all have equal access to all facets of school life and that not one single one is left behind. If the child's IQ is 70 or if it's 170 they take the same test and the school is accountable for their success or failure. The school provides Free transportation to and from school and after school practices and provides adult (teacher) supervision. All of our teachers are "Highly Qualified" meaning that in addition to a teaching certification, History Teachers have a Degree in History, Math Teachers have a Degree in Math, and so on..... Not only do schools have to insure the child's safety at school, the child has to "feel" safe as well. To a lot of kids, being at school is ten times better than being at home.

Still, being a teacher is such an easy job, anybody can do it! There is a shortage of teachers, so I know that teachers are not contributing to the unemployment rate!

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Last night I was helping my 13 year old find the vertex and graph absolute value equations. I think she'll do alright.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm pretty stewpit. Your are kidding aren't you? I assume sarcasm targeting what the status quo has been saying for years...

There is a shortage of teachers, so I know that teachers are not contributing to the unemployment rate!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
I'm pretty stewpit. Your are kidding aren't you? I assume sarcasm targeting what the status quo has been saying for years...

There is a shortage of teachers, so I know that teachers are not contributing to the unemployment rate!
Actually I just read today where there are now a glut of teachers.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
its a small town, it aint window dressing, not to mention they have no committees and its pretty easy to tell if they are making desisions that arent based on what info they get at the meetings.....aint to hard to figure out when the superintendent has his coffee on a daily basis and how much sugar he puts in it if i want....not to mention most the current board aint smart enough to be that sneaky, atleast more than once..

currently the school board has a bunch of idiots on it, mainly cause the smart ppl got tired of the idiots, its getting to the point the wife is thinking bout running for it to up the average IQ.....but push comes to shove our administrators are pretty good, and have done a damn good job....there is only one of them that i dont know that well, the rest are locals or at the very least have been in the area a couple decades...the current superintendent is a long time family friend and was my teacher at one point in high school is he an outstanding administrator? no but he is a good one that truly has the best interests of the school and community in mind......

my girls are quite bright but from what i have seen they aint gonna get half the education i did and its due to changes that were kick started by NCLB....i hate english, but have no problems writing cause i had a damn good teacher, had damn good math teachers, had damn good science teachers....all this on one of the poorest indian reservations....the problem now is that teachers must focus a hell of alot of their time on students that do not want to be in class and who have parents that dont care how their kids do....before the teachers could teach those that wanted an education and give those that were interested in one a damn fine one....now they spend most there time focusing on those that aint gonna ever see the inside of a college classroom and the bright kids are left hanging in the wind....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

Actually I just read today where there are now a glut of teachers.

depends on subject, try finding science or music teachers....its near impossible....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.