Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Raisuli Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I have had three rotator cuff surgeries on each shoulder. I am scheduled to have another two: one on my left & one on my right. I haven't fired a big game rifle since my first right rotator cuff surgery, which is closing in on ten years ago. Apparently I have hereditary abnormalities.

I am going to hunt Utah this year. My smallest deer rifle is a .308 Win. Its recoil is noticeable. I am putting off sighting it in until the last minute.

I thought I was going to be able to buy a Featherweight .257 Roberts before this deer season. But like best laid plans... Apparently this model won't be available until November.

So should I hunt with my .308 Win or buy what's available such as a .243 and forgo my preferred .257 Roberts?

I hunt western big game exclusively. I know that hunters have harvested elk with .243 Win. What practical experience have posters had using .243 on game bigger than mule deer? I'd hate not cashing in my elk & bison bonus points.

Thx,

R

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Do you reload? How about stuffing a 110 or 130 grain .308 cal TTSX on top of a bunch of powder?

25-06 with a 100 TTSX would also be an option. I've seen it kill Bull Moose...I'd imagine an Elk would die in a similar fashion laugh

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
GOOD GREEF PARISTH the thought. Let us think. First the 308 unless with a reduced is out,but more bullet. 243 85gr Barns X inside of what you can spit a mellen seed or a titch broadside. Most like you will not find the bullit, but instead your knife.Please let us no how it smells on the grill.

Last edited by kawi; 07/24/12.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Raisuli
I have had three rotator cuff surgeries on each shoulder. I am scheduled to have another two: one on my left & one on my right. I haven't fired a big game rifle since my first right rotator cuff surgery, which is closing in on ten years ago. Apparently I have hereditary abnormalities.

I am going to hunt Utah this year. My smallest deer rifle is a .308 Win. Its recoil is noticeable. I am putting off sighting it in until the last minute.

I thought I was going to be able to buy a Featherweight .257 Roberts before this deer season. But like best laid plans... Apparently this model won't be available until November.

So should I hunt with my .308 Win or buy what's available such as a .243 and forgo my preferred .257 Roberts?

I hunt western big game exclusively. I know that hunters have harvested elk with .243 Win. What practical experience have posters had using .243 on game bigger than mule deer? I'd hate not cashing in my elk & bison bonus points.

Thx,

R

Take a look at the 6XC. .243 ballistics with less powder/noise/recoil. The 6XC (or any of the equivalent cartridges eg 6X, 6x47 Lapua, 6-250, etc. ) in a 9 lb rifle with a squishy pad, recoil is quite mild and may be within your tolerance.

Oh yeah, the above mentioned cartridges have been campaigned by High Power competitors so no worries on lack of accuracy or precision.

http://www.6mmbr.com/6XC.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raisuli
Apparently I have hereditary abnormalities.

Stay on the freakshow forum where you belong.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ignore Loco. He's the forum azzclown.

I'd use a Sims Limbsaver recoil pad, and also get a good shoulder recoil pad. If you need more have a Vias Muzzle Brake installed. They work well, with no extra noise that I can detect.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
R
Raisuli Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Hi Mauser_Hunter,

I have considered going with a recoil reducer. And it might just be the way to go for me.

I love my Sako 7MM Rem Mag. It is my preferred big game rifle. But I haven't fired it in many years. If a recoil reducer will help, I wouldn't really need to buy a .257 Roberts. But I still want one.

I ain't all that far from Bass Pro in Rancho Cucamonga, which is the store that's trying to hunt up a Featherweight .257 Roberts for me. Next time I'm out that way I'm going to stop in, visit my money, and buy a recoil reducer.

Take care,

R

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A recoil reducer will help some, but not as much as a muzzle brake. You could do both, plus a good shoulder recoil pad, and get that 7mm shooting sweet for you.

You have a gun you like. I'd do everything I could to soften it up. Even load it a little light, or try the reduced recoil ammo.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
R
Raisuli Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
archie_james_c,

I haven't reloaded in nigh on 20 years. However, you suggestion was well received.

Where I hunt it's possible to shoot a long way in huge meadows. Hence, I would only use my .308 Win if I'm comfortable with its ability to harvest mule deer out to at least 300 yards. I have stalked much closer than that distance, and I have had mule deer alert to my presence much father away.

Thx for your help.

R

R
Raisuli Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Hi Mauser_Hunter,

I have always planned to look into a shoulder recoil pad. I have heard/read many positive comments about them. If that route doesn't help, my son can hunt with my 7MM Rem Mag & I'll have all the more reason to buy a Featherweight .257 Roberts.

I hope you have a successful 2012 season. For me, just getting in the field will be a success.

Take care,

R

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a recoil problem too, so I know what you're going through.

Good luck getting it worked out.

R
Raisuli Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Mauser_Hunter,

Thx. I appreciate it.

Is yours rotator cuff?

Since my first surgery, which was in '92, I've learned that rotator cuff injuries are extremely common.

Take care,

R

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yes, a rotator cuff that I never got operated on, because it's my left shoulder, and I used to shoot right handed. Then I lost the sight in my right eye, and had to switch to shooting left handed.
Then it's compounded by having surgery on my left cheek for skin cancer that left it with 50 stitches, and very sensitive nerves. My cheek hates recoil.

So, it takes a lot of focus to not flinch when I shoot.

Not a big deal though. I'd rather the pain than not hunt. smile

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 07/25/12.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I second the 243 Win suggestion. Hornady GMX or Barnes would do nicely.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Also, you could try, instead of a featherweight, a nice heavy rifle. It would also help in the recoil dept.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If budget is an issue, I too would load the 308 up with lighter slugs.

1Minute
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Factory 110 grn hollowpoints and a muzzle brake should resolve any 308 recoil issues. Reloading isn't required. Sorry to hear of your bum shoulder probs.

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Les Bowman claimed in all his years of hunting and guiding, he saw more one shot kills with the 243 than any of the big magnums.
He said people just shot them better.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would think that you would need to use a multiple approach. Shoulder pad, recoil reducer, and a muzzle brake combined. If you're dead set on a new rifle, think along the lines of a .260 or 7-08 but still with the attachments and adornments. Finally, IMO, a light weight rifle isn't the way to go. Lift those weights, get in the best shape you can, and lug a standard weight rifle around.

Aim for the exit hole.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,865 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,967
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.