Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Do they serve any purpose on a hunting rifle? Do you have them on yours?

In the near future I'm going have a .280 Rem built and want a fluted bbl. Do you need a heavier contour in order to have the flutes?

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen gun writers and manufacturers claim that the flutes actually stiffen the barrel.

I would have to see that proven to believe it.

If you want to reduce the weight of your rifle, they can certainly do that. Fluted barrels will also cool a little faster because they have more surface area. Not sure that matters on a hunting rifle though.

I think they look pretty neat, but don't have any with flutes.

JM

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Never could follow the reasoning of going for a bigger tube so you can flute it.

I'll likely never have one fluted unless it's bought second hand. I have better things to spend money on, like new tubes.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6 flutes cut in my STW number 4 contour barrel.Saved roughly 5 onces.Will I ever do it again.....NO

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I've seen gun writers and manufacturers claim that the flutes actually stiffen the barrel.

If you want to reduce the weight of your rifle, they can certainly do that. Fluted barrels will also cool a little faster because they have more surface area. Not sure that matters on a hunting rifle though.

JM

I believe that given barrels of EQUAL WEIGHT - the fluted barrels are slightly stiffer.

or to look at it another way, it allows you to go up in contour without as much weight.

Folks seem to be able to pack both fluted and non fluted barrels just fine and both types shoot really well.

Six of one, half dozen of another.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Never could follow the reasoning of going for a bigger tube so you can flute it.

I'll likely never have one fluted unless it's bought second hand. I have better things to spend money on, like new tubes.

I guess that answers part of my question. I'd have to get a bigger tube then, which I don't want to do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

JM

Never did understand how removing metal made a barrel stiffer.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Trying to make it fit a stock?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by tzone

In the near future I'm going have a .280 Rem built and want a fluted bbl. Do you need a heavier contour in order to have the flutes?

..........Do have a fluted barrel on my Mk5 Acumark.

Fluted barrels save on rifle weight somewhat, and although I may be wrong, it is also my understanding that they dissipate barrel heat a little better than conventional non fluted barrels.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone

Some barrel makers won't flute anything less than a #4.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And I don't have a number 4 from anyone on anything.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks cool.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

It doesn't. Jim said it earlier, a fluted barrel is stiffer than a round barrel of the same weight.

It follows from the fact that more of the cross section is farther away from its centroid, so the fluted cross section has a higher moment of inertia than a round one of the same area.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
No. Will order the stock first. Then get the bbl.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You will gain very little as far as weight is concerned but sometimes a little here and there do add up. From everything I have ever read there really is no stiffness increase but the cooling factor does come into play as already mentioned because of surface area. I have even read any gain the possible stiffening fluting might create is offset by the decrease in pure mass. So for these reasons is it worth the extra money? To each there own.

The one factor not talked about much is the "cool" factor. Let's face it we like cool looking rigs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman

It doesn't. Jim said it earlier, a fluted barrel is stiffer than a round barrel of the same weight.

It follows from the fact that more of the cross section is farther away from its centroid, so the fluted cross section has a higher moment of inertia than a round one of the same area.

Key word being, " Of the same weight..."

If you have 2 barrels that are the same weight and flute one, it cannot be as stiff as the unfluted barrel, at least not to my simple mind.

And I know a fella with centroids. Had to have them surgically removed. eek

JM

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That's the "it doesn't" part of my answer.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Key word being, " Of the same weight..."

If you have 2 barrels that are the same contour and flute one, it cannot be as stiff as the unfluted barrel, at least not to my simple mind.

JM

Fixed that for you. wink

Because if you flute a barrel of the same contour, the contoured one is now lighter..

And will be stiffer than a smaller contoured tube of the same weight..

Last edited by jim62; 10/04/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
That's the "it doesn't" part of my answer.

Lets talk about boobs.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't need it to cool faster because it's not going to be a bench rifle. I'm not looking for a real light weight rig either, nor do I want a larger than needed tube for something that isn't going to be of use to me.

It looks like flutes are off the list.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

231 members (10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 338reddog, 39 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.