Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
Whats the best affordable sleeping bag to get? I bought one last year off amazon, it keeps you warm but its heavy and it makes you sweat bad. I need a lightweight sleepbag that I can use into October atleast pluse keep you warm and dry.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The North Face Snowshoe is a good bag.

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
For the money a Northface Cat's Meow is hard to beat. Wiggy's makes good bags as well. The 2 bag, with a Goretex over bag that is issued to soldiers are good bags for the money and can be bought on ebay.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
FYI, it appears that the Snowshoe is no longer made and has been replaced with the Snow Leopard.

http://www.rei.com/product/809337/the-north-face-snow-leopard-sleeping-bag

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Cat's Meow is a great bag. I am trying out a Slumberjack with the air mattress that slides into the bottom, can't remember the name, but it is also nice. Both are super light and pack down small.

Good luck, good hunting, and good times.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure exactly what you mean by "affordable" but I've got an Integral Designs that's very good. Made in Calgary. I think you can still get them from the company. Primaloft insulation, very light & compactable & will keep you warm if it gets wet. It's the one I take on sheep hunts into the Brooks and also in our moose camp in Sep. Prolly kinda spendy for you but worth every penny IMHO.
Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 02/23/13.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Which one Bear? They list the north twin, a Renaissance, and an overbag.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Gotta go with a wiggy's bag. Great product and all USA made.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I am going into my 8th year with my Integral Designs North Twin and 7th year with it's mate, the Andromeda Overbag. I have a custom ID Himalayan down bag that Evan, former owner of ID made me ten years ago and many of their bivies, tents and various shells/jackets.

The bags are among the finest I have ever used and all original ID gear is outstanding. IME. It is not the "cheapest", but, given the quality, it is well worth the price asked.

For most uses, I am a down bag person, especially in really cold weather; however, the combo of the ID-NT and AOB, are simply the most practical hunting bag setup I have and one I use on most trips.

The only real improvement in features that I can see for these bags would be if ID adopted the same stiff, slippery zipper tape that Western Mountaineering uses in their superb bags. The ID bag and insulated clothing zippers have a real tendency to catch on the little flap of fabric beside the actual zipper, especially, when zipped in a hurry, this is a major PITA.

For summer use, the Andromeda Overbag is ideal and works very well as a quilt, which is comfortable and easy to care for, just a fine piece of practical gear.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Kute, any experience with the Renaissance? And anywhere you know of that you can buy ID stuff now?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Any thoughts on the Western Mountaineering sleeping bags?

And hey, Joe!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have never used a Renaissance, looked them over and chose the warmer NT, no regrets.

I would call Evan at ID Tactical direct and he should be able to supply what you require.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alaskaplumber
Whats the best affordable sleeping bag to get? I bought one last year off amazon, it keeps you warm but its heavy and it makes you sweat bad. I need a lightweight sleepbag that I can use into October atleast pluse keep you warm and dry.

Are you planning on back packing in October? How light do you want your bag and what kind of temp rating are you looking for?

I've been using a Wiggy's Ultra Lite for many years now and have had no issues or complaints. My next bag will be another Wiggy's, possibly a Glacier Hunter bag.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A fleece liner improves the comfort and performance of most any sleeping bag. Does a really nice job with sweat. Much easier to keep things clean.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Y
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
Also not sure exactly what you want but I have and use a 4 Piece military surplus sleeping bag. It has a bag then a gortex outer then a thin green liner then a thick black liner that all snaps and zips together. They are good for any weather hot to extreme cold. I think they are rated to -60F. I was very comfortable at 6000ft elevation last year and the temps were in the teens at night with all 3 pieces I was hot and had to unzip a little. They are great value too at around $100 online. I got 2 from a buddy and love them. They are not super lightweight but light enough and the compression bag can be sat on and cinced down for a pretty compact bag. It will get really small if you dont need the thick winter liner in it. Anyhow thats just my thoughts.

ACS
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by alaskaplumber

Are you planning on back packing in October? How light do you want your bag and what kind of temp rating are you looking for?

I've been using a Wiggy's Ultra Lite for many years now and have had no issues or complaints. My next bag will be another Wiggy's, possibly a Glacier Hunter bag.

^ what he said . I have had the same experiences with the same bag. Its a zero degree bag and has done well for me during moose season and post rut caribou hunts.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cwh2
Which one Bear? They list the north twin, a Renaissance, and an overbag.

CWH2: Sorry for being late - just saw your question. Just looked at the tag on my bag and it's labelled as "Emperor". All insulation is Primaloft and it's a mummy style.Maybe Barney's in Anchorage would have it since they sell (or did) some ID gear. Sorry, I'm not familiar with either of the 2 designs you mention.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks - I'll go talk to bob and see if I can get out of the store for less than a thousand bucks.

I love Barney's, but that place gets expensive.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by cwh2
Thanks - I'll go talk to bob and see if I can get out of the store for less than a thousand bucks.

I love Barney's, but that place gets expensive.

Barney's still doing the discount at the Alaska Sportsman's Show at the Sullivan? Not sure what % the discount was, but might save you some duckets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 1,890 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,875
Posts18,497,665
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.