Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I have "heard" that the new Marlin lever-actions produced in Illion have had
some problems. Is there any truth to the rumor? Thanks sincerely.

Willcox, Arizona USA
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't know if they've had problems mechanically, but the new ones I've seen are awful. The grip is fat, the wood/metal has gaps, was proud of the reciever, and on two I saw, the front sights weren't mounted straight.

I noticed these at two different shops because I'd heard they were sub par, and I intentionally looked at them for that purpose. One was a Guide Gun, the other I don't remember. Sad to see this happen to a once-pround brand.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The rumors seem to be true, whether it's new workers or improperly set up equipment, I don't know. Poor fit, barrels not square with the receiver, tool chatter in the rifling, and crooked sights are just some of the more common things I've heard about and seen. The QC team must have been left behind in North Haven. Just waiting now to see if they get their act together.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check out www.MarlinOwners.com for the full story on what happened at Marlin.

Really sad story, they were one of the finest gun manufactures out there.

Long story short, if you're in the market for a Marlin, look for one with the JM stamp that was made in New Haven.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Can't find the story, What is the title?.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one, and it looks and shoots great. Some of the ones I looked at had poor wood to metal fit in the tang area. The wood has been much fatter for years. At least Marlin was saved from bankruptcy. As the new employees have figured out what they are doing things have improved.

Glad to have them under the Remington roof.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by hawkins
Can't find the story, What is the title?.

You have to log on, as a member. There is a forum called the "marlin rant forum". It's got all the stories there.

maddog

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I don't have any of the Marlins made at their new plant..
If the new ones are worse that the ones made in the the last 20 years then they are indeed a POS..

Examples of the ones I have made before the move to Illion..
1. Guide Gun: Grinding marks on tang reciever area very poor metal/wood fit..
2. 38-55CB: .3815" groove dia. chamber only large enough to except a .379 cast bullet using the thinner Starline brass..
Factory ammo keyholes..
3. 25-20 made in the the early 90's oversized chamber, and grossly so.. A reloaded round looks like it has a double bottle neck..

I will say that the two 1894's that I have in .357 shoot very well and the guide gun shoots cast well also..

Yeah I know the ones you all have are a thing of beauty and shoot a one hole, one shot group! (all day long).. laugh

Last edited by Nrut; 07/19/11.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of my Marlins will shoot MOA or close to it. They are scoped.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of "I saw", "I heard" and so on. Still no side by side pictures of the same model with real detail to show all the "imperfections" ?

Maybe five of each with the "real" Marlins being post 2006 production.

The 700 remains the most popular bolt action commercial rifle in the world. They sure are "fooling all the people all the time" (to paraphrase Honest Abe).

I have owned a lot of pre 336 Marlins. All were great rifles. Tried some 336s but compared to their earlier models they are clubs and butt ugly regardless of what city they are made in. They may shoot well but as long as there are 99 Savages (calibers up to 358 win) and 1886 Winchester (thumpers), I see no reason to own any 336. I will admit the BLR is even more ugly.

This is a good looking lever action, that Savage could be making today (given CNC, new casting techniques (RUGER !), the availabilty of fine Turkish walnut, short action beltless magnums and so on) BUT they are not because there is no forseen demand to cover the setup costs. sad but true.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine and my son's 450Marlins are very nice rifles...

I want a new 45Colt Lever action� one I can mount a receiver sight.... but I am worried about all the reported problems with the "New" Marlins...

I was hoping for a more Winchester-like outcome...

I'm interested to hear from "those in the Know", the Gunwriters.

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's good ! Gunwriters ? Ask all the EXPERTS on here. All gunwriters on on the take, shills for (fill in the blank) company.

Obviously some dolt living in a corn field in Indiana, with photoshopped deer pictures knows more than Craig Boddington about the correct choice for equipment and experience to hunt Cape Buffalo.

I can only imagine what these jerks would have thought about the famous annual Olin Farms gatherings "back in the day" when all the "no nothings" like JOC, Elmer Keith, Warren Page and so were attending !

We'll never see the pictures of the new/old Marlins because allegations are almost never supported with hard facts.

Good luck with your 45, should be a real thumper with 300 gr hardcasts !

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This is globel now ,these writers even those of us 95% will never do any hunting but of the U.S.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goodiewrench
That's good ! Gunwriters ? Ask all the EXPERTS on here. All gunwriters on on the take, shills for (fill in the blank) company.

Obviously some dolt living in a corn field in Indiana, with photoshopped deer pictures knows more than Craig Boddington about the correct choice for equipment and experience to hunt Cape Buffalo.

I can only imagine what these jerks would have thought about the famous annual Olin Farms gatherings "back in the day" when all the "no nothings" like JOC, Elmer Keith, Warren Page and so were attending !

We'll never see the pictures of the new/old Marlins because allegations are almost never supported with hard facts.

Good luck with your 45, should be a real thumper with 300 gr hardcasts !

Even though there are some (Many) acknowledged experts who are not Gunwriters, that is no reason to impugn the credibility of Gunwriters, especially the ones who join us here..

No one forces them to come here and reply to us....

And

While I share your admiration of Craig Boddington� he too is a Gunwriter�.

Snake

Last edited by temmi; 07/19/11.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not all the NH Marlins made in the last twenty years or so were perfect either. Seems like many gun companies leave QC to the customer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe you would prefer getting your information from a photo-shopping pathological liar who splits his time between Pinedale, WY, and Key West, FL.

JEff

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
+1 however I am not sure he is a pathological liar or a congenital liar, or perhaps the two terms mean the same, but he a low down shiftless skunk and a liar non the less.

In 2022 geneticists made a remarkable discovery. Among people who are just incapable of telling the truth, one in five is a congenital liar. That is, their constant lying is the result of a specific genetic defect. Now, scientists at Emory University in Atlanta have created a new drug that treats genetically congenital lying. Initial experiments indicate that the drug is safe and effective. FDA approval for the drug is expected in one or two years.

In the vernacular, a congenital liar is someone who just cannot tell the truth. Now, medical scientists tend to use the term "genetically congenital liar" for those people who are genetically destined to be liars.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gene L
I don't know if they've had problems mechanically, but the new ones I've seen are awful. The grip is fat, the wood/metal has gaps, was proud of the reciever, and on two I saw, the front sights weren't mounted straight.

I noticed these at two different shops because I'd heard they were sub par, and I intentionally looked at them for that purpose. One was a Guide Gun, the other I don't remember. Sad to see this happen to a once-pround brand.

I've used the Marlin 336 since I was a youngster and the new ones feel dopic to me with the fat grip and all.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I have one, and it looks and shoots great. Some of the ones I looked at had poor wood to metal fit in the tang area. The wood has been much fatter for years. At least Marlin was saved from bankruptcy. As the new employees have figured out what they are doing things have improved.

Glad to have them under the Remington roof.

Marlin decided to sell............they were not going bankrupt!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I hope they get their act together. We need every job around here we can get. Liberals have run us into the dirt and circled back to wipe their feet on the remains.
Lost the air base, lost the copper wire mills, lost Revere silver, lost Ethan Allen furniture to name a few, now maybe losing the prison.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (16gage, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,425
Posts18,470,717
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.