Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
DB Bill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
My grandson has reached the point he wants to carry his own rifle the next time he comes with me on a trip. He likes my Ed Brown .308 but I want something that will be his.

Basically what I'm looking to build will be on a Model 700 short-action chambered in 300 WSM -- square-up the action, install a better extractor, fit a quality barrel in a Mt Rifle countour, install a Vais brake, spiral flute the bolt, teflon coat all the metal and install the whole thing in a McMillan stock which I can provide.

The 'smith's I've used in the past all all quoting 12 months which I've learned means closer to 16 so I'm looking for a couple of new options to build the rifle.

I don't mind if I need several different people to work it but I'd like it ready by Labor Day 2013.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By PM if you prefer.

He's a very special young man in many ways.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For sure I understand the thoughts behind building a gun for a G-son. Honestly one of the best times of my life was doing so.

Here's a thought, it's not gonna mirror what your blue print is but hope you don't mind.

M70 stls action
McMillan Hunter Edge compact (let him pick the color)
#3 Brux stls with a short shank and cut to 23"
Talley
3-9 Leo w/dotz
PT&G bottom metal
1" Montana sling

For a smith I'd have a fella in Helena Mt that Ingwe and I both know well do the work. But, I'd gather the parts first

Just a thunk, easily done by Mem Day and most likely more like Easter.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would contact Jim Kobe. I would not do a WSM on a short action and wouldn't do a Sako extractor. Use the M16 extractor. I like Talleys and PT&G bottom metal. I prefer the 2.5X8x36 Leupold or the 3X9 Zeiss Conquest. McMillan stocks are good, but you better order quick and the same on the barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's my "shortlist" for gunsmiths that would build your Grandson a hammer:

Jon Beanland

Robert Gradous

Accurate Ordnance (David Walker)

APA (Jered Joplin)

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Bill stepping up from 308 to 300WSM is quite a leap depending on the size of you're GS. I would definitely choose parts that I could get my hands on in the next month or so. Pac Nor has several barrels ready to ship in their Super Grade line at this time. Choosing a Mcmillan stock would be a crap shoot unless you get in on the XMAS sale. Their waiting times are just going to be getting longer and longer. There are many good qualified gunsmiths... and several here on the fire that can screw your rifle together and I would not hesitate to go w/ a recommendation from people as experienced as Dober and others here. In the long run I think the 700 action and a few good recommendations as far as a smith from here on the fire will get you going in the right direction.

I would not build my grandson a rifle w/a brake as his first rifle. I think he may develop a life long flinch due to muzzle blast. Staying w/ the .308 or some other similar cartridge is never a bad idea for a life long cartridge but he's your grandson and that's the bottom line. powdr

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ceiver-blued-prod32498.aspx#.ULDoso7GJUQ

Action you need is on sale for $369 at Brownells. Lot of good 700 smiths out there. Good luck on your build.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by powdr
Bill stepping up from 308 to 300WSM is quite a leap depending on the size of you're GS.

I would not build my grandson a rifle w/a brake as his first rifle. I think he may develop a life long flinch due to muzzle blast.

Staying w/ the .308 or some other similar cartridge is never a bad idea for a life long cartridge but he's your grandson and that's the bottom line.

Agreed.

My only change might be go 7mm-08 over the 308, but that's personal preference.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would not build my grandson a rifle w/a brake as his first rifle. I think he may develop a life long flinch due to muzzle blast. Staying w/ the .308 or some other similar cartridge is never a bad idea for a life long cartridge

Well said and sage advice.

A 243, 6mmRem, 250Savage, 250AI, 260, 7/08 or 308 would be perfect for a young shooter and a gun he would enjoy shooting for a loooong time w/o the blast and recoil of a muzzle break magnum.

Let the lad buy his own magnum later when he's ready.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 30338
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ceiver-blued-prod32498.aspx#.ULDoso7GJUQ

Action you need is on sale for $369 at Brownells. Lot of good 700 smiths out there. Good luck on your build.

That one will work for 6.5 or .358 Rem Mags, right?

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Coldbore my first thought was 7mm-08 but thought he just might want to stay w/30 caliber. The 7mm-08 gained a reputation for a reason and it did it in an over crowded 7mm field. The 08 w/a 154gr Hornady would be good for about anything in n. America but the big bears. It's accurate, can be made to any weight and length, and is a life long cartridge one doesn't have to change entering adulthood. Never could figure out why people started their kids out on 22 cals and then moved them to something else in two to three years. powdr

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DB Bill
My grandson has reached the point he wants to carry his own rifle the next time he comes with me on a trip. He likes my Ed Brown .308 but I want something that will be his.

Basically what I'm looking to build will be on a Model 700 short-action chambered in 300 WSM -- square-up the action, install a better extractor, fit a quality barrel in a Mt Rifle countour, install a Vais brake, spiral flute the bolt, teflon coat all the metal and install the whole thing in a McMillan stock which I can provide.

He's a very special young man in many ways.

I wish I had that problem...If I did, I'd have a little pow-wow with him & let HIM decide on what HE'D like as an end product...swap ideas with him & make it a joint endeavor...

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The 7mm-08 gained a reputation for a reason and it did it in an over crowded 7mm field.

Yep. cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There is a good Gunsmith in Woodland, CA His name is Craig Maraviov. I have had Craig build me a rifle, his work is top shelf. I would have him build me another.

Here is his info.

Craig Maraviov
10 N East Street Suiet #204
Woodland, CA 95776
530-668 GUNS (4867)
30 + Years of Experience

I think the reason most Gunsmith's tell you so long of a time is, it gives them time to fetch the part and put your gun together.

When I had him build my gun, I had all the parts, did the hand off and 30 days later my phone rang,--- you rifle is done..

Gunsmith's have to wait on barrels, stocks, one thing after another before a build is complete.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think every body has to wait for components, being a gunsmith or and individual. Just get busy getting your components together regardless of who you decide to use as a smith.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
If building a shortmag call Jim Borden and at the very least use his Alpinemag action designed for the shortmags, Robert Gradous or Jim should be able to build it in time!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'd be thinkin 308 or its offspring and a gap non typical......be a one stop shop?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
i bought my son a rem mt 7-08 when he was 13 and he still loves it now. he became a crack shot with it.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SuperCub
A 243, 6mmRem, 250Savage, 250AI, 260, 7/08 or 308 would be perfect for a young shooter

Not to bad for old fartz either!

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
D
DB Bill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the the leads and suggesitons on calibers. The young man is 16, soon to be 17, and stands a slender 6'2". He's also been a AA Skeet shooter since 14 and doesn't have any problems running 200+ rounds a day of 12ga thru his shotgun.

The 7-08 is a dandy round but you don't need to run a 300 WSM full-bore all the time - it isn't a problem to load it down to a 30/06 or even a .308 - makes it very versatile in my mind.

With respect to muzzle-brakes, there are brakes and then there are brakes and it's been my experience that VAIS-brakes don't have a measurable increase in noise but do provide a significant decrease in felt recoil.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You might look at Hill Country Rifles. They always have something available. GA Precision has a reputation for accurate rifles and may be able to get something together quickly.
Have you tried McMillan to see what their lead time is?
Check around, there are a few other smiths I have talked to over the years that keep enough components in stock to build rifles fairly quickly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 3,294 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,860
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.